Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How long do you think it would take tto view/read/listen to everything related to FIM? Is it possible or "ALMOST" possible?

FloppyfluffyEars

So a while back I was thinking about all the content that I've seen on the internet that involves MLP FIM. I always hate it when content creators delete stuff online as all the history associated with that is wiped away. I started watching in 2013-2014 and I remember learning about fandom events that occurred before I joined and having to play detective to understand what happened. Like, I'd stumble on random videos and not know the context. Anyway, thinking about this made me wonder what it would be like to join the fandom right now. I suppose it would feel the same as joining at any other date, but knowing that the G5 era is behind you would feel a little dour because you missed out on all that activity. For me at least, I think it would feel an awful lot like a being an archaeology digging deep into internet history.

This all made me wonder, if someone became a brony today and made it their goal to view everything (or everything noteworthy) online that was related to FIM would they actually be able to do it? In other words, assuming the internet/world froze and nothing else was created FIM  related could slouch their way through everything available online and essentially catch up? 

Just eyeballing it, I think that it would sort of be possible--at least in essence. I think the thing that is absolutely doable is watching all FIM property released by Hasbro THAT IS CANON. So this is the main series (1-9), EQ girls, Pony Life, and all the specials. Then there is everything officially released  by Hasbro which includes shorts, the comics, books, games, and things like Pinkie's talk show and that stop motion series. A lot of this content is available to look at on web since its video based. So I would say that assuming you have all the time in the world it might take you two weeks to consume absolutely everything. So in terms of canon based material it definitely is possible. 

The next challenge would be a fan made content and this is where I think its necessary to define "EVERYTHING". I think that that there are a few hundred videos online that ever brony would consider "required" viewing (things like Lullaby for a Princess) which if you managed to get through all of them you could in a sense say you watched EVERYTHING worth your time. The same thing with fan fiction. 

So If you just did everything that was created and released by Hasbro, and every noteworthy FanFIc and Every noteworthy video then you probably have gotten the general idea of what the fandom and MLP is all about. 

In that sense, I think viewing "everything" is absolutely feasible .

That being said, hypothetically speaking, how long would it take you to get through everything? Now for argument's sake I think it is ridiculous to define EVERYTHING as every comment that was posted on a youtube or everything forum post that has something to do with FIM/ G5. At the level you're talking about thousands of comments per video that who really cares about reading at the end of the day. So everything in this scenario wouldn't include things like random forum posts (like this one). However, visiting the homepage of this website ONCE might be regarded as a visiting the ENTIRE website. I think it is also important to not define what "view" means or "consume". My definition does mean you have to process/understand everything you see. So for example, let's say you wanted to get through every fanfic. If you click on it, have it on your screen, and click through the fic at record speed I would include that as viewing the entire book. Basically, a view means your eyes or your ears have to physically take in every frame, graphic, or sound of whatever you have on the screen. You can put it on hyper-speed if you want to.

With those rules you would still have to get through:

Every Animation, watch every reaction video, all the analysis videos, listen to every song, "read" every fanfic, listen to every audio drama, see every fan artwork, every random MLP video.

Do you think someone could do it? 

P.S. Just out of curiosity, how long do you think it would take a person to view every post on  EQD? 

8 hours ago, FloppyfluffyEars said:

So a while back I was thinking about all the content that I've seen on the internet that involves MLP FIM. I always hate it when content creators delete stuff online as all the history associated with that is wiped away. I started watching in 2013-2014 and I remember learning about fandom events that occurred before I joined and having to play detective to understand what happened. Like, I'd stumble on random videos and not know the context. Anyway, thinking about this made me wonder what it would be like to join the fandom right now. I suppose it would feel the same as joining at any other date, but knowing that the G5 era is behind you would feel a little dour because you missed out on all that activity. For me at least, I think it would feel an awful lot like a being an archaeology digging deep into internet history.

This all made me wonder, if someone became a brony today and made it their goal to view everything (or everything noteworthy) online that was related to FIM would they actually be able to do it? In other words, assuming the internet/world froze and nothing else was created FIM  related could slouch their way through everything available online and essentially catch up? 

Just eyeballing it, I think that it would sort of be possible--at least in essence. I think the thing that is absolutely doable is watching all FIM property released by Hasbro THAT IS CANON. So this is the main series (1-9), EQ girls, Pony Life, and all the specials. Then there is everything officially released  by Hasbro which includes shorts, the comics, books, games, and things like Pinkie's talk show and that stop motion series. A lot of this content is available to look at on web since its video based. So I would say that assuming you have all the time in the world it might take you two weeks to consume absolutely everything. So in terms of canon based material it definitely is possible. 

The next challenge would be a fan made content and this is where I think its necessary to define "EVERYTHING". I think that that there are a few hundred videos online that ever brony would consider "required" viewing (things like Lullaby for a Princess) which if you managed to get through all of them you could in a sense say you watched EVERYTHING worth your time. The same thing with fan fiction. 

So If you just did everything that was created and released by Hasbro, and every noteworthy FanFIc and Every noteworthy video then you probably have gotten the general idea of what the fandom and MLP is all about. 

In that sense, I think viewing "everything" is absolutely feasible .

That being said, hypothetically speaking, how long would it take you to get through everything? Now for argument's sake I think it is ridiculous to define EVERYTHING as every comment that was posted on a youtube or everything forum post that has something to do with FIM/ G5. At the level you're talking about thousands of comments per video that who really cares about reading at the end of the day. So everything in this scenario wouldn't include things like random forum posts (like this one). However, visiting the homepage of this website ONCE might be regarded as a visiting the ENTIRE website. I think it is also important to not define what "view" means or "consume". My definition does mean you have to process/understand everything you see. So for example, let's say you wanted to get through every fanfic. If you click on it, have it on your screen, and click through the fic at record speed I would include that as viewing the entire book. Basically, a view means your eyes or your ears have to physically take in every frame, graphic, or sound of whatever you have on the screen. You can put it on hyper-speed if you want to.

With those rules you would still have to get through:

Every Animation, watch every reaction video, all the analysis videos, listen to every song, "read" every fanfic, listen to every audio drama, see every fan artwork, every random MLP video.

Do you think someone could do it? 

P.S. Just out of curiosity, how long do you think it would take a person to view every post on  EQD? 

no one would finish it due to people who attempt it would be stripped off of it's sanity and spiral into insanity.

I joined midway through season 2 and have seen a lot of stuff, but I'm certain I've missed out on plenty of content that would have seemed essential at one point but has since faded into the background.

It would seem pretty daunting, but as often happens overtime, some things obtain a legendary status. Everyone knows of Elvis, but something tells me that very few today much of him or are familiar with his work outside of his Christmas covers. We don't have to like Elvis, but no doubt he was a legend during his time, and we've been kept aware of that. The same applies to certain content from our community.

If we kept it to things of that status, then I think it's very doable, and that most new fans make the pilgrimage to understand what we're referencing all of the time.

If we go by content creation alone, then maybe there's shortcuts with reviews and so forth, but original works make this task not only a nightmare, but truly impossible. Everyday, more than a lifetime's worth of footage is uploaded to YouTube. I guarantee we've made enough to have filled Luna's time on the moon many times over.