Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Deleted scene from A New Generation.

CastletonSnob

2 hours ago, CastletonSnob said:

https://www.equestriadaily.com/2022/02/new-deleted-my-little-pony-new.html

Argyle was apparently originally going to be voiced by Jim Cummings.

Thoughts?

Jim Cummings being Sunny's dad would've been SO COOL! Maybe, Jim will provide a voice for  a different character in the future. 

Frank Welker could also play a monster or something, too. 

• Brohoof 3

Jim Cummings for the win! Argyle's character as a "crazy doomsayer pony", I have more mixed feelings about though. Being level-headed was part of what made his admirable father character endearing in the movie to me, even as I also liked seeing a brief glimpse of what could have been Sunny's mother with a British accent at the beginning of the clip. 

• Brohoof 1

It would be cool to have him play one of the characters in the future, but I doubt it will happen.

In another animatic, Grey DeLisle participated as well: https://twitter.com/GreyDeLisle/status/1478838107612999681?cxt=HHwWgsCryY7b8YUpAAAA 

and she did not voice anyone in the movie. I don't know a lot about the production process but perhaps they were just voice holders, for the animatic?

Both this and the storm heist animatic make me wonder what this alternate version of the movie would've been like and how it would have compared to what was actually released. It seems like originally (or at least in the version these clips are from) Equestria still had its magic, but it was on the verge of being lost, most likely due to the pony divide. This would explain Sunny wanting to go out and save the magic before it is gone and Equestria is left in shambles. This aspect is definitely different from the finished product, in which magic was already gone and Sunny went out to bring it back.

While I obviously can't say anything for sure since this version was never released and all we have so far are a couple of scenes from, but I might have ended up liking this version of the movie better than the one we got. That isn't to hate on the finished product or anything, but I prefer some of the aspects I've seen in these two deleted scenes. The loss of magic having potential catastrophic effects is much more in line with the lore established in G4, and it felt like the movie just ignored that entire aspect. Plus, the action in the storm heist looked cooler than any action scene in the final version (It helps that pegasi can still fly in the old version).

It's a shame that these scenes and concepts were cut from the movie, but hopefully the series will be able to deliver some of these things.

As much as I would have loved to see Jim Cummings as Argyle, I don't think I would have liked this direction for the character with him sounding like a crazy doomsday theorist, what we got in the final version gave the impression of a level historian/scholar who believed there was a way to restore peace between the 3 races(also the interaction between Argyle and Sunny was cute and wholesome)

• Brohoof 1

On 2022-02-13 at 3:25 PM, Sparklefan1234 said:

Jim Cummings being Sunny's dad would've been SO COOL! Maybe, Jim will provide a voice for  a different character in the future. 

Frank Welker could also play a monster or something, too. 

I'd have no problem with Jim Cummings voicing Argyle for the series instead of Michael McKean.