Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

G5’s REAL 2D art style revealed

phantompone1148

2 minutes ago, Ocean Breeze said:

It's not that bad imo.

Plus they're gonna use the 3D ones for the main Netflix series (surely)

"not that bad" 

Here's the problem though...the 3D movie's animation was cutting-edge. And then we got this. I'll get used to it, as will others. It is just a MASSIVE letdown. :mellow:

• Brohoof 1

I mean I don't know what to fully think till I see them moving and the voice acting.  I'm a little over: :mellow: on this style.   It has more of the "cartoony" style we keep see more of more of in kids shows in the trends of cartoons.   I'll wait till I see the show. 

• Brohoof 1

Being a big fan of 2D animation, I had high hopes that this series could do the animation style justice. This, however, is extremely disappointing. It could be a bit early to say, but this animation is terrible in my opinion, and one of the worst animation styles associated with the My Little Pony franchise. It looks similar to pony life (and a lot of kids shows these day unfortunately), except even worse somehow. Add this to the likeliness that the main series will have a cheaper 3D animation style than the movie, and this overall is a hard blow in G5's animation department. Here's hoping the writing will at least be decent.

• Brohoof 3

That 2D style honestly freaked me out at first upon seeing it. Having a few additional looks at it later... I am starting to like what I'm seeing.

• Brohoof 2

10 minutes ago, Sparklefan1234 said:

Look on the bright side, Hitch doesn't need a plate when he can balance food on his chin. :P

He can be Jay Leno! :ButtercupLaugh:

At least this style is only going to be used for G5 shorts. The 3D show will very likely look the same as the movie, judging from this promo for the Make Your Mark special.  :fluttershy:

AVvXsEjlMp7CdeqayOk0t801pr9UmckdtVgbpcb6

Edited by CloudMistDragon
  • Brohoof 1

IDK, it looks kind of weird of you ask me. Something seems off. Seems kind of like pony life...

...Actually, I think I figured out why it seems off to me. Like, what is going on with the proportions!? And the faces! Like seriously, what are they trying to do here?

Spoiler

Also, the glass lighthouse with the crystals ontop in the background foreshadowing Sunny's new home?

Edited by Ocean Wavedream
  • Brohoof 1

3 minutes ago, CloudMistDragon said:

The 3D show will very likely look the same as the movie, given this promo for the Make Your Marks special.  :fluttershy:

I was SO HAPPY to read this!

5 minutes ago, CloudMistDragon said:

At least this style is only going to be used for G5 shorts.

I was worried that the 2D show would look like this:

image.jpeg.dbd1393088c21f830ca7c9a362488cdc.jpeg   So while I may be in the minority I think that the new 2D character designs are adorable! :coco:

35 minutes ago, Ganondorf8 said:

That 2D style honestly freaked me out at first upon seeing it. Having a few additional looks at it later... I am starting to like what I'm seeing.

This is pretty much how I feel as well.  Like I didn't initially act with disgust, but it was more of a surprise than anything else as it was a pretty sharp contrast to the CG designs from the movie.  But with that being said I think I'm starting to warm up to a bit.  Although I feel that certain characters were translated better to this style than others.  For instance I think Sunny and Pip actually ended up looking pretty good all things considered, and it's only really Hitch that looks all that off-putting.  And that's not even considering how some designs look better in motion than in initial promotion material.  I remember this same kind of backlash when it came to the initial reveal of Rise of the TMNT and look how that ended up turning out.  So who knows, maybe the same could happen here.  Either way I'm just waiting until we get a better look at the series, such as an actual trailer to get a solid opinion over how the series looks.

• Brohoof 3

6 minutes ago, cmarston1 said:

This is pretty much how I feel as well.  Like I didn't initially act with disgust, but it was more of a surprise than anything else as it was a pretty sharp contrast to the CG designs from the movie.  But with that being said I think I'm starting to warm up to a bit.  Although I feel that certain characters were translated better to this style than others.  For instance I think Sunny and Pip actually ended up looking pretty good all things considered, and it's only really Hitch that looks all that off-putting.  And that's not even considering how some designs look better in motion than in initial promotion material.  I remember this same kind of backlash when it came to the initial reveal of Rise of the TMNT and look how that ended up turning out.  So who knows, maybe the same could happen here.  Either way I'm just waiting until we get a better look at the series, such as an actual trailer to get a solid opinion over how the series looks.

They may yet refine some things here and there unless this is the final version. If it is the latter, I just hope it remains consistent.

• Brohoof 4

Looks like they're trying to give Transformers Animated a run for it's money for most outrageous chins especially Hitch here, but I think Sentinel Prime still has him beat

In all realness though, while I really don't think it's bad, it's inconsistent, especially with Pipp going Mega-Cal Arts while Hitch is giving his best imitation of the Crimson Chin, meanwhile Izzy looks much more natural in the "CalArts" style, Zipp and Sunny look the most normal, with Zipp giving off the most FiM vibes

While I think it could be improved I still think it's a huge improvement to the stock promotional art which looked inoffensive but too bland and corporate

Edited by Megas
  • Brohoof 4

I'm not gonna lie. When I first saw this official 2D art style, I'm not even mad. I find it so freaking hilarious. I thought it was the same art style that was leaked about a month ago. But nope, this one is the real thing. It really cracked me up. Not because the art style looks good (in fact, it's not), but because it looks bizarre for G5 ponies to look that way and I just can't help but laugh.

Honestly, the 2D art style for G5 ponies wasn't that great, in my opinion. Not as godawful as My Little Pony Go!(Pony Life), but it's not that good either. The body proportions looks off, the mane looks terrible (especially Izzy) and the faces look pretty weird and kinda gross me out.

Also, I'm not crazy about keeping Sunny's alicorn powers mane look. I actually do like her original look better, and I'm not used to the rainbow look on her hair. So it's disappointing to me that they're keeping Sunny's rainbow mane look for the rest of the show.

I don't know if I'll give it a fair chance since I'm not impressed with the art style so far, but maybe I'll check out a trailer or one short to see it's at least tolerable, but with Pony Life setting the bar so low, Tell Your Tale had nowhere to go but up.

Eh, I don't know. I'll wait and see if it's actually decent or not when it comes out on April 7th on YouTube, but I'm going in with SUPER low expectations.

Edited by JMTV99
  • Brohoof 2