Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

G5’s REAL 2D art style revealed

phantompone1148

Well, well, well, this is what I meant back in November or so in that thread by (something like): "...painstaking hand drawn yet we all know its CG..."

Just why? Is what I ask. To me this art style, coming from Hasbro, a billion dollar company, just looks cheap. If this was some low budget   lone ranger operation, I'd let it go at that, but why, I ask, is this style of animation so popular? It just looks cheap and rushed, probably because it is.

I'm betting it will even have the trademark "mouth open or closed, no in between when speaking" and the "quick and dirty movements" meaning they move so fast there is basically no animation of them, say raising their leg to point, they basically point and go back to the ground with it in a blink.

Also what's with the rainbow hair?

E'dTA: This worries me for the 3D series, will we get full quality or "kung fu panda" quality?(looked like plastic models in the series)

Edited by TheGleaner
  • Brohoof 3

Alright, I'm a little confused on all the productions going on.  Somepony set me on the right path here:

- So we have the New Generation Movie.

- Tell Your Tale in 2D is just a YouTube short spin off like Pony Life

- Then we have the 'specials' in 3D?  Winter Wishday in November and Make Your Make in May?

- Is the actual 'series' in a different 2D still up in the air waiting for reveal?

So in total we have three productions going on this year?  Spin Off Short, Specials and Main Series?

Edited by Rising Dusk
  • Brohoof 2

It's not as surprising for the 2D designs of the Mane 5 look like this in CalArts style. I will say I'm okay with these character designs. This wouldn't have to look like from Pony Life.

• Brohoof 1

I feel this art style thing is repeating Pony Life, but in reverse.

Pony Life's actual animation was cheaper than its promotional material.

So maybe the promotional stuff of this is having bad animation, but the actual series will have better animation?:lie:

That's just my opinion :twismile:

Okay, I'm not huge on this art style at all, but at the same time, I don't see it as something that's super awful. I don't think it's good and the standards should be far higher, I agree, but I think that this might look better in animation than it does in a still image. Anyways, I'm not going to say that this is doomed from the start from art style alone, because that would be jumping the shark.

• Brohoof 3

Okay; I'm fully sold on the 2D series now. Pipp is freaking adorable! <3

• Brohoof 3

Before I understood the appeal of MLPFIM, the show at least made a good first impression as its art style was appealing. For me, this does not have a good first impression. The early 2D art style for G5 were more appealing.

• Brohoof 4

7 hours ago, Pathfinder of Ash said:

Eh, I'm not too crazy about legs. It looks way too awkward. The wings are okay, but eh. The animation looks way too stiff.

However, I'm holding off my opinions and it just an animation test. Maybe it will improve once the shorts launched, so I'll give them more time.

• Brohoof 1

7 hours ago, Pathfinder of Ash said:

Pipp-Pipp-Hooray!  :D

I'm curious to hear how they sound compared to the celebrity VA's most of  all. 

• Brohoof 3

49 minutes ago, Starforce said:

I don't understand why they would make something that looks so low quality.

To save money? :mustache:

23 minutes ago, The Spitfire Simp said:

why does it look like a low budget anamatic from YouTube lol

Because it is a low-budget animation on Youtube. It's a short series on Youtube meant to promote "the real series" on Netflix, thus why not as much money is going towards the visuals. 

• Brohoof 3