Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

G5 is going to suck.

CastletonSnob

5 hours ago, Cash_In said:

We are really jumping the shark here. VA changing isn't an uncommon thing and to be honest, I think it was to be expected. I know people also bring up the art style and while I don't like it, I think it's worth giving it a chance. Point is, we don't have that much right now, so it's way too early to debate on whether it will be shit or not.

Think you meant "jumping the gun" lol

• Brohoof 5

Not to sound rude here, but I think that this entire thread is pretty silly. The series isn't out yet, how can we write it off just because of its art direction and voice acting? I recall a similar event occurring with a little game known as The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker, and twenty years later, it's one of the series' most beloved titles.

People need to calm way down. If it's terrible, it's terrible. But we don't know for sure until it's released, now do we?

Edited by Sovereign Leader Rarity
  • Brohoof 3

6 minutes ago, Sovereign Leader Rarity said:

If it's terrible, it's terrible. But we don't know for sure until it's released, now do we?

Ah, yes but overreaction is a fandom staple. :mlp_smug:

7 minutes ago, Sovereign Leader Rarity said:

Not to sound rude here, but I think that this entire thread is pretty silly. The series isn't out yet, how can we write it off just because of its art direction and voice acting?

I think the ponies big tooth-filled smiles are cute. :squee:

• Brohoof 1

7 hours ago, Pathfinder of Ash said:

It could be good, it could be bad. We have no way of knowing.

Precisely. We've no way of knowing how well this is going to turn out until it actually happens. G5 really needs a lot in terms of support from both those working on it and those who are both the intended audience and those who find it appealing. It deserves a chance.

And I'm liking the 2D style more and more. It has a bit of classic slapstick with some of the expressions.

• Brohoof 2

The YouTube 2D side will definitely suck. It is no way around this unless Hasbro cancels it. Hasbro really need to cancel this. 5 minutes episodes with horrible character designs are just going to be thumbs down from the fans, which.... well, YouTube hides dislikes now. Maybe they are just using this as a way to exploit the current YouTube dislike system?

• Brohoof 1

I just got news from Equestria Daily that the new 2D series is going to be made out of 70 5-minute long shorts. I feel like I can appreciate them if they're good, but it feels like it's not the best eOne can do, and not something fans, young or old, are really supposed to invest in. 

• Brohoof 2

23 minutes ago, Stancet said:

I'm hoping the mystery of Equestria's magic will finally be solved.

It got solved in the film; magic disappeared cuz pony tribes stopped being friends and reappeared when Sunny fixed this.

Edited by TransPirate

33 minutes ago, TransPirate said:

It got solved in the film; magic disappeared cuz pony tribes stopped being friends and reappeared when Sunny fixed this.

But that's not how magic worked in G4. The unicorns had magic and the pegasi had flight before Equestria was founded and they united. Secondly, we don't know where the friendship crystals came from and how magic and flight became connected to them. Thirdly, why did the three pony kinds stop being friends anyways? Even before Twilight Sparkle's time, there was perfect harmony between the three pony kinds.

Edited by Stancet

9 minutes ago, Stancet said:

But that's not how magic worked in G4. The unicorns had magic and the pegasi had flight before Equestria was founded and they united. Secondly, we don't know where the friendship crystals came from and how magic and flight became connected to them. Thirdly, why did the three pony kinds stop being friends anyways? Even before Twilight Sparkle's time, there was perfect harmony between the three pony kinds.

I guarantee that it's not going to be elaborated on in the show to the degree you'd prefer (because it doesn't matter) but perhaps comics could cover it, that'd be neat

3 minutes ago, TransPirate said:

I guarantee that it's not going to be elaborated on in the show to the degree you'd prefer (because it doesn't matter) but perhaps comics could cover it, that'd be neat

I'm going to try and be a little more hopeful than that.

But more importantly I just want some ongoing story about the characters discovering something or developing themselves over time. G4 really raised the bar by doing it. I'm not saying G5 will be bad if it's nothing more than self-contained stories where everything goes back to normal in the end, but ongoing stories are something I really like.

• Brohoof 2

On 2022-02-17 at 10:26 PM, CastletonSnob said:

They could have easily afforded to keep the movie VAs for the specials and series.

Bear in mind that the cast for the film were moderately big name film actors.  It's not purely a matter of whether or not Hasbro can afford to keep them on, these people probably don't want to be tied into voice acting for a series that may last for years.  Even though voice work can be squeezed in between other projects it's still a burden they probably don't want to be carrying around, as such a commitment is unlikely to work in their favour when they are applying for other roles. 

• Brohoof 2

On 2022-02-17 at 10:26 PM, CastletonSnob said:
And Hasbro didn't even choose veteran VAs for the Mane Five. Hitch's new VA has a whopping TWO credits on his IMDB page, and one of those roles was Bibleman.
I just don't think G5 is going to be good.

I think you should give the new VAs a chance. Wait until we've heard them at least.

• Brohoof 1

On 2022-02-17 at 6:25 PM, Splashee said:

The 2D show seems to look unprofessionally bad. We already know what the 3D show will look like.
I think they should cut the 2D show right away as it will not be well received :yuck:

I'm willing to give the 2D show a chance.  I don't really like the drawing style much; it's too rounded and too derivative of Steven Universe, but if it's got good stories to tell, good pacing, good writing/humor, consistent characterization of characters we can learn to love, then it'll be worth the watch even if I don't happen to like the visual style.

I think the 2D animated YouTube stuff looks pretty wonky, especially the anatomy of the pony legs, but I'll wait to see how it is once it comes out. At the very least, my expectations are low so I'm either in for what I expect, or a pleasant surprise!

As for the VAs, I'm going to wait for the show to start airing before making any judgments. I'm excited either way for more content! :P

The latest Equestria Daily poll is in. The question is, how much are you looking forward to the 2D series. 

The census seems to be that the majority of Bronies not impressed, and either neutral or a little disappointed in it. Those looking forward to it are in the extreme minority. 

• Brohoof 1

12 minutes ago, Mickey Adaptus said:

Am not super excited for G5, after the big success of G4, it feels like G5 just can't live up to the same expectations, especially after having seen the reveal.

I don't feel like it should have to. It just needs to be better than Pony Life. I'd take a half baked show if the creators at least put care and passion into it. The alternative would be a cash grab where the toy manufacturers called all the shots.

10 hours ago, Stancet said:

The latest Equestria Daily poll is in. The question is, how much are you looking forward to the 2D series. 

The census seems to be that the majority of Bronies not impressed, and either neutral or a little disappointed in it. Those looking forward to it are in the extreme minority. 

That makes me happy that most of them hate it. :ButtercupLaugh:

I don't have any feelings one way or another. I'll probably never see the Gen 5 show 3-D show. I don't have Netflix, and tv shows getting DVD/Blu-Ray releases seem to be a dying thing. I'll check out the 2-D Youtube show since that's free.

I still haven't seen the movie since again I don't have Netflix, and I'm not going to get Netflix for just one thing.