Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

G5 is going to suck.

CastletonSnob

8 hours ago, TomDaBombMLP said:

That makes me happy that most of them hate it. :ButtercupLaugh:

Sorry to burst your bubble, but Stancet got it wrong. Guy is a good joe, but take a closer look... 

1115962181_G52DSeriesPoll.jpg.01ab4e4c27056b71b3865b8db6e9e3e6.jpg

STYLE. The poll was not asking if they were looking forward to it, it was their opinion on the style. ONLY about 50% hating the style isn't that bad considering how disreputable "cheap, corporate, CalArts-like" styles are, in addition to the stigma this show has already been given for that. 

• Brohoof 2

2 hours ago, CloudMistDragon said:

Sorry to burst your bubble, but Stancet got it wrong. Guy is a good joe, but take a closer look... 

1115962181_G52DSeriesPoll.jpg.01ab4e4c27056b71b3865b8db6e9e3e6.jpg

STYLE. The poll was not asking if they were looking forward to it, it was their opinion on the style. ONLY about 50% hating the style isn't that bad considering how disreputable "cheap, corporate, CalArts-like" styles are, in addition to the stigma this show has already been given for that. 

But still, only a few actually liked it.

• Brohoof 2

I disagree. Just because the art style is different than the movie, doesn't mean it's IMMEDIATELY going to suck. I'd give it a watch and see what our first impression is. Maybe it'll be as good as the previous ones we've seen. Remember, we shouldn't judge a book by its cover. Look back at Equestria Girls. When the trailer was shown for the first time, the fans hated it. But when we've watched the movie, it was good and made the series a success. The same goes to Pony Life too. It had some moments that made us laugh. Everything deserves a chance, no matter how different the art style may be.

• Brohoof 6

1 hour ago, Photon Jet said:

I disagree. Just because the art style is different than the movie, doesn't mean it's IMMEDIATELY going to suck. I'd give it a watch and see what our first impression is. Maybe it'll be as good as the previous ones we've seen. Remember, we shouldn't judge a book by its cover. Look back at Equestria Girls. When the trailer was shown for the first time, the fans hated it. But when we've watched the movie, it was good and made the series a success. The same goes to Pony Life too. It had some moments that made us laugh. Everything deserves a chance, no matter how different the art style may be.

It has ponylife vibes....

6 hours ago, Photon Jet said:

Oh yeah, people need to be less critical of Pony Life. It was just trying to be a simple, funny comedy and did succeed to a degree. I think the intense backlash, both for this and Pony Life, comes mostly from people who just don't want the shows to be made at all, thus giving them an actual chance is out of the question. 

8 hours ago, Kujamih said:

Have you guys seen the animation? Sunny's hooves are so WEIRD!! it looks like it's Arceus legs. Or like an insects long slender legs iiissshhh

It can stab you....... :laugh:

Okay, even I have to admit that Sunny's design is the most off to me, I don't care for the deer-like legs. I've already grown accustomed to looking at every other main character though, most easily Pipp and Izzy.

• Brohoof 2

@CastletonSnob

This isn’t fair of you or for anyone else to say. You cannot judge a series you have not seen.

…I am going to address two of the reoccurring concerns others have made in this thread:

1. The 2D animation style:

You cannot assume this series will be awful because of the character designs. This does not constitute what makes a series good. Do they look similar to the designs from Pony Life? A bit. Does that mean the series will copy the theme of Pony Life? No. We don’t know anything about the series other than what it is titled and who the main characters are. What should be influencing your opinion is the writing, story execution, world building, music, etc. 

2. Voice actors:

If you expected the voice actors used in the film to come back for the series, you don’t understand how voice acting is executed in situations like this. There was 0% chance that any of them would return. This is due to salary, as hiring celebrities to do voice overs is very expensive. An example of this would be in the 2017 FiM film: Emily Blunt and Taye Diggs did not have speaking roles in the series finale in FiM because re-hiring them would have been extremely costly. If they couldn’t afford to re-hire them, how could they afford re-hire 5 for this? Let’s not forget about potentially reoccurring characters like Alphabittle which would result in even more celebrities being hired. Just because these new voice actors do not have an extensive, impressive history with what they do does not mean that their performances will be poor. Talent can develop over time. Personally, I am glad that we are getting a fresh start with these voice actors considering G5 is also a fresh start. 

You are extremely close-minded and clearly so bias to G4 that you refuse to accept the fact that this series may be good let alone it being a thing in the first place. I hope for those of you who already have a negative viewpoint in this series realize that you have no factual ground to stand on.

You can’t look at a food and know you won’t like it, you need to eat it to give a properly formed opinion. 

• Brohoof 5

12 minutes ago, The Wife of Arataki said:

You cannot assume this series will be awful because of the character designs. This does not constitute what makes a series good.

You cannot just blanket state that character designs don't matter.  Animation is a visual medium.  How important that aspect of a cartoon is will vary from person to person.  You may not consider character design to be an important aspect of a cartoon but plenty of other people may not enjoy a cartoon with what they deem to be an unappealing visual style or characters that they consider flat and ugly.

If you ask a blind man if the character designs matter to him he will probably say no.  Ask a deaf man and you may find that the visual side matters to him a lot more.

24 minutes ago, The Wife of Arataki said:

You can’t look at a food and know you won’t like it

Yes you can.  If you know from previous experience that you don't like aubergine and you look at a meal and see that it consists largely of aubergine, then you can safely make an assessment that you will not like that meal.

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, The Wife of Arataki said:

@CastletonSnob

reoccurring characters like Alphabittle which would result in even more celebrities being hired. 

Actually, Alphabittle was voiced by veteran voice actor Phil LaMarr, not a celebrity. A better example would have been Argyle, who was voiced by Michael McKean.

Edited by CastletonSnob

Don't understand why people are so up and arms about it, really. If you don't like it - don't watch it. I don't like Pony Life, so I didn't watch it. Yes, I think it would have been better off for it to not exist because I really, really don't like the style. But what are you gonna do about it? 

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, Concerned Bystander said:

You cannot just blanket state that character designs don't matter.  Animation is a visual medium.  How important that aspect of a cartoon is will vary from person to person.  You may not consider character design to be an important aspect of a cartoon but plenty of other people may not enjoy a cartoon with what they deem to be an unappealing visual style or characters that they consider flat and ugly.

If you ask a blind man if the character designs matter to him he will probably say no.  Ask a deaf man and you may find that the visual side matters to him a lot more.

Yes you can.  If you know from previous experience that you don't like aubergine and you look at a meal and see that it consists largely of aubergine, then you can safely make an assessment that you will not like that meal.

True words, and yes.

• Brohoof 1

Re the VA recasting, I've heard something about Canada requiring Canadian VAs if you're going to produce your show there, though I don't know where one would go to verify that.

Anyway, from the vocal samples I've heard, they seem like good fits for the roles and would honestly probably be better at maintaining a "G4" vibe than the movie actors would. If they had originally been cast as the movie VAs I don't know if anyone would've complained.

Edited by n1029

1 minute ago, n1029 said:

Re the VA recasting, I've heard something about Canada requiring Canadian VAs if you're going to produce your show there, though I don't know where one would go to verify that.

Anyway, from the vocal samples I've heard, they seem like good fits for the roles and would honestly probably be better at maintaining a "G4" vibe than the movie actors would.

They better make a gag on why their voices changed...

This is why I hate ""celebrity"" voice actors for things like this. They often want way too much money for something any random person could possibly do just as good, if not better. "Celebrities" are often overpaid and over-privileged. Starting with them for any series is a terrible move because you simply won't be able to keep them, most likely. If this culture would stop worshipping celebrities like gods then perhaps corporations wouldn't see it as a go-to marketing ploy, just like the upcoming Mario movie. Stop hiring a bunch of self absorbed celebrities as a tactic to put asses in theater seats. 

Edited by Kyoshi
  • Brohoof 2

3 hours ago, The Wife of Arataki said:

Does that mean the series will copy the theme of Pony Life? No. We don’t know anything about the series other than what it is titled and who the main characters are. What should be influencing your opinion is the writing, story execution, world building, music, etc. 

Much of your criticism of the OP being unfair is true, and I hate to be "that guy splitting hairs", but there is strong evidence hinting at the show's plots being Pony Life-like. 

https://www.equestriadaily.com/2022/02/another-shot-of-new-g5-tell-your-tale.html

"The series introduces My Little Pony‘s beloved next-generation characters in a sprightly 2D animation style and features upbeat, comedic stories that kids of all ages can enjoy. The slice-of-life series will showcase new sides of the Mane 5 and expand their universe in exciting new directions."

AVvXsEi68_KHeSQUFzHPlBY1ASDHmxxOySs22kgz

Pony Life was advertised in a very similar fashion, saying that it was going to "focus on the funny side of friendship" with "hilarious", fast-paced slice-of-life stories. Granted, this topic was made before these new bits of info came out, but you get the idea. I'm of the opinion that it's probably for the better that people who instantly hate on shows like this with simple art styles trying to be simple comedies, judging them by a cover that isn't meant to impress people like them, don't give them a chance. If your mind is already made up, why would you want to give shows like this attention so that more shows like them can be made? 

• Brohoof 4

Well, at least they're giving G5 2 sides...the thing I hope is that they moderate things. Even in the 2D side, let's hope they give it substance. Substance is what matters the most. We know about the 3D, which will be towards more mature audiences...and show the realism...

• Brohoof 3

I wouldn't hold your breath for substance with only 5 minutes an episode. TYT is just going to be something parents can put to distract their kids while they're busy. Think the best anyone can hope for is some good gags (which tbh Pony Life did not have very much of).

What I do hope for is since the MYM "season" is essentially going to be less than the length of one Lord of the Rings installment that it is more serialized and dramatic than G4 with legit CG visuals. Definitely encouraged by G Berrow being the showrunner since she was one of the better character writers late in G4's life

Edited by n1029

We have incomplete information on the upcoming G5 show, so there can be extrapolations, theories, and hypotheses, but saying that the show itself will be good or bad is an unreasonable standpoint because that is basing your standpoint off of incomplete information.

• Brohoof 1