Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

ooc Welcome! To: Into Limbo: Worlds Collide (open)

Evil Pink One

@Kujamih

I'll have to agree with @Starforce on this one, this is exceedingly complicated and sidesteps my primary concern: Why are emotions such a strong factor? For instance: 

1 hour ago, Kujamih said:

What emotion is usually used when stepping.

I mean seriously, what is that supposed to mean? Stepping, just like most mechanical motions, does not necessarily have ANY emotions associated with it. Which leads me to believe that the rune can then only be triggered by something capable of feeling emotions, and only if they happen to be feeling the right thing when they step on it, or near it, or whatever.

You are of course free to set up the rules however you like, but when you make the rules so complicated that no one can understand them, it simply pushes the players away from that avenue. If your intention was exactly that, to push us away from using runes, then you should have simply said from the beginning that you didn't want us to use runes.

If that was not your intention, then let me submit, for your consideration, an alternative guide to how runes and magic could work:

• Magic is influenced, not powered by, emotions.

Similar to the force, emotions can bring extra power to spells, but can also corrupt them if the emotion is not in line with the spell's effect. This does not mean that a healing spell could become a killing spell, but a healing spell would be weakened by negative emotions, and boosted by positive ones. A telekinetic grip could become crushing if influenced by anger, etc.

• Runes have their own set of symbols one must know in order to use them.

Rather than leaving it up to the author's imagination, which I find very overpowered, runes work by how they shape the magic that is channeled through them. It is the shape and size of the rune that gives it power, such that a mistake in the drawing of it could render it inert, or lead to unexpected results, and that the size of the rune directly correlates to it's power. Smaller runes are less effective than larger runes.

• Individual runes have basic effects.

Similar to the basic types of magic, there are base runes that have basic effects, like a fire rune that can create fire. These runes are the simplest to create and would be taught in basic books.

• Runes can be chained or combined to form more powerful runes.

Similar to how mixing types of spells produces other spells and spell categories, linking runes together can cause different effects, or no effect, depending on the combination. This is where the programming aspect comes in to play, as the relative sizes, order, and orientation of the runes influences the composite effect. Combining a fire rune and a wind rune could produce a warm breeze if the two are both small with the fire being smaller than the wind, or a fireball if the wind is strong and delayed in activation. The concepts of combining runes would be taught in more advanced books, though hinted at in the basic books.

For the purposes of this RP, Blu has only read basic books, and so would only know basic runes and have the idea that they could be combined somehow. What do you think of this?

• Brohoof 1

@Illiad Easle @Kujamih

I have to say that I have never understood Runes myself - so how could my character? So I have to say that having to learn something for the sake of a character having an ability is a big turn off for me, unless if I can find some way to understand it in simple terms. 

That's why I made it as vague as possible so you can just make up stuff and easily apply it... Runes aren't even real in our world so how would I even explain it properly?😆

And besides.... We are in mlp universe... They base their magic on emotion such as loyalty love honesty friendship and what not... So I based it on that. I just gave it a scientific feel and deep meaning to it. But your characters can just adapt to it in a way if you want and easily apply it, Its for topic use only so don't think deeply to much about how magic works...just feel it.

You see if you only read the books and no pony teaches you stuff you'd have a hard time.... But if somepony who is a master of said arts teaches you ... You night easily learn magic.

Just like how Celestia told twilight not to rely on books so much.

• Brohoof 1

5 hours ago, Illiad Easle said:

are of course free to set up the rules however you like, but when you make the rules so complicated that no one can understand them, it simply pushes the players away from that avenue. If your intention was exactly that, to push us away from using runes, then you should have simply said from the beginning that you didn't want us to use runes.

If that was not your intention, then let me submit, for your consideration, an alternative guide to how runes and magic could work:

• Magic is influenced, not powered by, emotions.

Similar to the force, emotions can bring extra power to spells, but can also corrupt them if the emotion is not in line with the spell's effect. This does not mean that a healing spell could become a killing spell, but a healing spell would be weakened by negative emotions, and boosted by positive ones. A telekinetic grip could become crushing if influenced by anger, etc.

• Runes have their own set of symbols one must know in order to use them.

I believe that's what I said......

5 hours ago, Kujamih said:

Emotions, feelings, experience. Is the requirement to cast magic perfectly.

But is not a requirement.

@Illiad Easle @Starforce

You can still cast magic but NOT perfectly 

I also said it is not a requirement.

And please I'm just giving information that is on a book.

What's written in a book is NOT written in stone. Sometimes books don't couldn't and usually not accurate at what it tries to teach us. Same as the things I explained. You might discover something new about magic.

But because in this world they believe emotions are the key ingredient to magic, then they believe it to be so.

I remember in my social studies the book told us that Marcos was a bad president and Cory was a good president....

Welp sure Marcos was bad.... But the country was at it's peek. Cory.... Cory was a puppet.

So like that I suppose.

All I'm trying to do is just add lore on how magic works in this world and you guys don't need to dwell so much about if your magic would work or not.

You guys can learn all the magic you want. I'm just controlling it a bit so you guys won't be too overpowered and end up becoming a draconicous and just end up the reason why this world is in danger.... Or is that your plan all along?:mlp_wat:

• Brohoof 1

This is how the ponies understand and way of teaching.

That's why on the previous post I keep on hinting to Dusk when she reads a book that emotions and feelings heavily imply to the books and what not.

@Kujamih @Starforce

I'm sorry, my stress levels have been really high these past few days and I've been lashing out at several people who did not deserve it.

I'm going to step away from this RP for a week so I can focus on my finals and get my stress properly managed again. If all goes well, I'll post again in a week.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Starforce said:

@Illiad Easle

I won't be going to college, I can't stand the thought of going into debt when my family doesn't have the money for that. Debt is slavery. 

Is there no public college? Like the free ones or really chip ones in emerika?... Meh you can easily find work in America even in highschool... But in some countries you need to have a college degree... Even for mcdonalds, eeeiishh...

54 minutes ago, Kujamih said:

Is there no public college? Like the free ones or really chip ones in emerika?... Meh you can easily find work in America even in highschool... But in some countries you need to have a college degree... Even for mcdonalds, eeeiishh...

No free public education here. I've already been out of school for around a year, but I won't bother to work for a while.

@Kujamih

Blu being able to get to where he was captured does not change the fact that he was unconscious when he was captured, thus does not have a reference point to where he woke up captured, nor any idea as to what direction he was traveling before he fell, then was unconscious when transported back to Ponyville.

Or do I misunderstand what you were indicating?

(edited)

@Illiad Easle

I thought Blu already knew where the castle was before he was captured by Alpha? So I'm Sure Blu knows where he went up to the point of climbing the tree and sleeping there right?

I recall him climbing up the tall tree seeing the castle and somepony stalking him.... Then when he woke up from his doze he was already captured.

Edited by Kujamih

@Kujamih

I'm not talking about finding the castle, I was talking about finding where he fought with Alpha. He wants to try and recover the bullet casings so that he can use them, in conjunction with small runes, to make more bullets.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

@Illiad Easle

Aaaaa I see... Well even if you do have fluttershy's ability.... The Everfree forest is still a swamp filled area so it'd still be hard to find that location....but....hmmmm..... I wonder if I can use those shell casing for a plot?:o

Edited by Kujamih

4 hours ago, Illiad Easle said:

@Kujamih @Starforce

Until I get information on what Blu can salvage from the armor, or the Mare or Dusk does something to draw Blu's attention, there's nothing for me to respond to. Please continue until one of those conditions is met.

Ahh I see....armor detail? 🤔

• 2 weeks later...