Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

ooc Welcome! To: Into Limbo: Worlds Collide (open)

Evil Pink One

• 3 weeks later...

@Kujamih

16 minutes ago, Kujamih said:

( sure the fzzzop! Is an 👍 with me but even a railgun would still give a Bang sound since your gun is releasing something compressed. Soo it's more of a fzzzzooooOOOPPP BANG! right?)

Not necessarily, the weapon, at least by my understanding, isn't compressing anything but rather generates force via opposing magnetic fields. The magnetic runes in the barrel pulling the projectile forward, while a more powerful magnetic rune in the hilt pulls it backward, holding it still until the wielder is ready to fire, they simply stop or reverse the polarity of the rune in the hilt and the projectile is flung forward. If anything there is the opposite of compression going on and if the gun were held in a charged state long enough the projectile would likely snap in half under the pressure.

Blu's extended barrel adds more pulling runes that reverse their polarity to push as soon as the projectile passes, it takes more power and concentration than the base model, but delivers more powerful and accurate shots.

In more simple terms, Blu's weapon is like a very powerful slingshot.

• Brohoof 1

22 hours ago, Illiad Easle said:

@Kujamih

Not necessarily, the weapon, at least by my understanding, isn't compressing anything but rather generates force via opposing magnetic fields. The magnetic runes in the barrel pulling the projectile forward, while a more powerful magnetic rune in the hilt pulls it backward, holding it still until the wielder is ready to fire, they simply stop or reverse the polarity of the rune in the hilt and the projectile is flung forward. If anything there is the opposite of compression going on and if the gun were held in a charged state long enough the projectile would likely snap in half under the pressure.

Blu's extended barrel adds more pulling runes that reverse their polarity to push as soon as the projectile passes, it takes more power and concentration than the base model, but delivers more powerful and accurate shots.

In more simple terms, Blu's weapon is like a very powerful slingshot.

Aaaa I see! So you didn't fully copy the design on the book then? But made a slightly different version of yours? 

Wait let me check the sketch I made.... 

sketch-1652958070972.jpg

• Brohoof 1

It might be more that I understood Compression in B as more of a magical buildup like a battery or an electrical coil charging rather than an actual compressive force.

As to the sound, it would make a sharp *Crack* sound if it broke the sound barrier, but as the sound barrier is 343 m/s and a bullet can be lethal at only 100 m/s the bullets Blu is firing here are decidedly sub-sonic. Especially considering his bullets have more mass than standard bullets they don't need as much speed to be lethal.

Actually lets do some math. Blu's bullets are tapered cylinders about 5 inches long and half an inch in diameter or just smaller than a .50 caliber bullet with the casing. Made of iron these would have a volume of 257 cubic centimeters, a mass of 2kg, and a striking surface of 20 square centimeters.

But 2kg seems a bit heavy for a bullet, so lets cut that in half and say the bullets individually weigh 1kg meaning a volume of 128 cubic centimeters, so the cylinders are only 2.5 inches long or just longer than a .50 caliber bullet without the casing. This maintains the striking surface.

The HITS equation is often used for determining which bullet weights and diameters are suitable for different sizes of animals: 

HITS=wb2v / (700,000×D2) or the weight of the bullet in grains squared times the velocity in feet per second over 700000 times the squared diameter of the bullet in inches.

So, our 1kg bullet weighs 15432.4 grains, squared is 238,158,969.76, and our diameter is 0.5 inches, squared is .25, times 700000 is 175000 so our first number divided by the second number is 1361. That means the HITS score for Blu's gun is 1361 times the number of feet per second or 408 times the number of meters per second.

By that rating Blu's gun would be lethal to small game at only 1 m/s, and lethal to big game at only 4 m/s which seems slow as a typical bullet travels at 780 m/s but also tend to be much lighter and smaller than Blu's bullets.

So we'll likely need to reduce the weight of the bullet further to keep this reasonable. Lets say the material that the guard armor Blu made the bullets out of is not iron, but some sort of magical alloy that acts like iron but is significantly lighter than iron, like titanium, which is only 4.5 grams per cubic centimeter compared to iron's 7.9. This lighter material makes Blu's bullets weigh only about .5 kg.

Using the same equation from before, 79,015,430 grains over 175000 or 451.5 by feet or 135 times the number of meters per second. Making it lethal for small game at only 5 m/s or large game at 12 m/s. Still very slow comparatively, even an arrow would be faster at full speed. So Blu's weapon could be calculated to be very lethal even at very slow relative speeds.

Best if we ignore the ramifications of this power as just say that Blu's bullets are large enough to be found after firing, hard enough to nut suffer much deforming, traveling about 50 m/s for non-lethal and 100 m/s at lethal, both of which are sub-sonic and the latter is at the speed of an arrow, but maximum power at 200 m/s

Does that sound reasonable? because short of reinventing conventional ammunition Blu's weapon could easily outclass any projectile weapon available if we stick to this math model. Which is why railguns are so powerful.

I just wanted to add some cool factor and sound effects to Blu's gun, we don't need to go math detail though right? Anyway we also don't have a way to calculate Blu's magic if it's able to hold the amount a gun could produce etc. Plus Blu isn't really that good yet with magic so him molding the bullet would have imperfections. Etc.

But I already consider it lethal and cool already, seeing that it does a fzzzzooooOOOPPP sound effect gives it a lightning kind of effect already.... So I pictured it as, as fast as lightning already... But then again it is just the magic charging right? 

• Brohoof 1

@Kujamih

It seems like there's so much going on in this story, I'm a little jealous that I only get to see a small part of it.

I was wondering if I could add in another character at some point? One that would be a bit more amicable than Blu is, more willing to go along with and interact with others. What do you think?

• Brohoof 1

@Illiad Easle

Sure thing! There's only the 3 of us so I'm fine with it. We'll cross the bridge when the amount of writers increase... 

In a weird way I like Blu, he always gives unexpected results and answers. He's always interesting to the point that I want to know more about him... He's very misterious.... One day I'll break that pony muhahaha... Just kidding.... 

If you want you can read the events happening with windy.

I pretty much connected alot of the story. 

6 hours ago, Illiad Easle said:

@Kujamih

It seems like there's so much going on in this story, I'm a little jealous that I only get to see a small part of it.

I was wondering if I could add in another character at some point? One that would be a bit more amicable than Blu is, more willing to go along with and interact with others. What do you think?

There is a lot going on in my mind about this story, hence the reason sometimes I rush... Sorry about that @-Solstice-

1. Lone Star light, glimmering from the stagnant waters.  (Starlight glimmer)

2. the three traitors.(cutie mark crusaders.)

3. Broken Hearts. (Flurry heart and cozy Glow.)

4. The opposers. (Bonbon and Lyra)

5. the Smile agency.

6. Guardians of Harmony.

7. ODTs.

8. The one who started it all. 

9. Colliding worlds.

These are the stories I keep in check and important in this plot. 

Issue for me was this was far too complicated and fast for me. I am not for lightning fast RPing anymore. I don’t understand what most of this RP involved.

• Brohoof 1

24 minutes ago, -Solstice- said:

Issue for me was this was far too complicated and fast for me. I am not for lightning fast RPing anymore. I don’t understand what most of this RP involved.

True that, hence I try and learn from those mistakes. ;)

@Kujamih

It also helps that Windy doesn't post all that often.

Per adding in the new character, here's what I had in mind:

In another Equestria, a devastating attack by sirens led to the discovery of a new kind of magic: weaponized music. In most versions of Equestria the power of song has been sufficient to serve as a sort of low level hypnosis, such that all those who hear the song join in, know the words, and perform choreography. In most worlds the song's leader does not exert much control and so the effect of the song depends on the general mood of all those who hear it. In this world however, dominant musical performers can, through effort and training, bend the effects of the magic to bolster troops, weaken opponents, and even cast spells. It is a world where music is taught as a form of self defense, or a martial art, most songs are mournful in tone if not angry, rarely does anyone sing out of happiness or celebration.

Fuoco Cantabile (Fire in a singing style, fu-Oh-ko khan-ti-Bee-lay) or Oko for short, is an earth pony filly about 16 in human years, trained as a flutist like her mother and has with her a magic flute that she can use to focus magic through. (I imagine it will be weaker than she's used to given the different world, but still effective with added effort and practice) Even without her flute she's been trained to focus magic through song and whistles (Even weaker than the flute, but still with effort can be effective for short term encounters.) If she loses her magic flute she can make use of any other flute to similar effect (Power level between her own voice and the magic flute. So if her flute was a 10 and her voice were a 5 any other flute would range between 6 and 9 depending on the quality). She does not have training in other instruments, so even if she learned how to play them she would not be able to use them to focus magic.

Given her magic is very different from this world's magic, it will be very difficult for her to learn new spells. Presently she knows how to inspire fury in those who hear the song (Light a fire within) How to specify a target and light it on fire, create a wall of fire around or in front of her, or throw a fireball as far as the song can be heard. All of her powers are proportional to the volume, such that the closer the target is the more effect she can have, but the further it is the weaker it becomes. Her power can be boosted my magically amplifying the volume, but any other means of amplification do not increase the power (Such as an echo, recording, or megaphone, unless magical).

She is also highly resistant to persuasion, manipulation, and possession, magical or otherwise. Given she can see through lies she is a friendly sort as she can tell who to trust and who to avoid. 

I'm open to make changes if you think that will be necessary. What do you think?

• Brohoof 1

I see... So instead of casting it through words or focus through thoughts, she focuses it through music, much like a magical bard of some sort, so in a way I can still grant her full potential on her magic, it's just that this world have not tried casting spells using music as it's medium and no one has ever tried it before.... until Oko showed up. Definitely Starlight Glimmer would be curious about her. 

And like for wands, instead your medium is a flute. 

@Kujamih

More or less, it's more of a way to allow her as an earth pony to cast magic, but only the spells she's been trained on, and given the lack of experience in this world it would be very hard for her to learn any new spells as she doesn't herself know how the spells work. By extension, she wouldn't be able to teach others how to do it either. An especially smart and observant pony would potentially be able to reverse-engineer her magic with enough exposure, but we're talking months of study there.

As to the flute serving as a wand, it is apt inasmuch as the wand serves as a focus, and not a source. Oko can sing to cast spells without her flute, and she can use any flute she finds as a focus.

• Brohoof 1

@Kujamih

If you're asking about the events on her end, I've got a sequence planned out but basically she was helping to protect her home town against an earworm. The songs clash, causing a disharmonic resonance that she falls through. I'll write out the full details in the first post that involves her.