Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

I didn't like the ending of the series, anyone else too?

xLuneti

I think Twilight (the princess of friendship, of all things) should have stayed in Ponyville, she already had a castle there and was doing friendship labors around all Equestria, that's her thing. If anything, Celestia should have let her sister rule (and that would be good, since part of Luna's arc is feeling less than her sister), do you guys think the same?

• Brohoof 3

Wait, that's the only bone you have to pick with the ending? Color me surprised. :ButtercupLaugh:

Yeah, lots of fans do not like the way the show ended, a fact they've been making clear since Day 1. :twi: All I personally don't like about it, coming from someone who actually enjoyed the finale, was the Grogar twist. The other two big problems I have with Season 9 wouldn't have been fixed by the finale anyway. :kindness:

• Brohoof 4

I quite enjoy it. Both the ending of the two-part finale and the hypothetical future.

But I know @TomDaBombMLP doesn't. Despite the fact the gang clearly made some time to hang out with each other once a moon

And as I already said in another topic:

You know when I first got into the show shortly after season 3 with a season 4 coming later that fall I kept thinking in my mind that season 4 would start with Twilight moving back to Canterlot to rule from the castle which actually didn't happen until the very last episode many seasons later so honestly it didn't really bother me when eventually she did have to go up there at the end of the main series.

Heck the way they were cleaning up the Royal Sister castle in the everfree forest early on in season 4 only to stop working there I actually was under the impression she was going to move into that castle but then she'd be away from her friends and besides no one would ever go to that castle in the middle of a dangerous forest unless they have some business or want to be secluded. Instead when she got a castle of her own it was planted in the back of Ponyville so she can still stay there

Just be grateful that she stayed in Ponyville much much longer even after becoming an Alicorn compared to the 3 seasons she was a Unicorn

• Brohoof 1

22 minutes ago, CloudMistDragon said:

The other two big problems I have with Season 9 wouldn't have been fixed by the finale anyway. :kindness:

What were the other two big problems with season 9?

1 hour ago, xLuneti said:

I think Twilight (the princess of friendship, of all things) should have stayed in Ponyville, she already had a castle there and was doing friendship labors around all Equestria, that's her thing. If anything, Celestia should have let her sister rule (and that would be good, since part of Luna's arc is feeling less than her sister), do you guys think the same?

I absolutely agree. The Mane Six were completely and utterly forced apart from each other and it was so obvious from their reactions that none of them wanted that. Especially because the episode before that ended with 'With you guys by my side, what could go wrong?' Celestia and Luna being heartless and forcing them apart, that's what! People try to excuse it by saying 'Oh, they still see each other occasionally,' or 'You can still have long-distance friendships,' but here's why that doesn't work. At the very start of the Season, Twilight said 'As long as we're together, we've definitely got this.' That's the whole point of their friendship and they always talk about how much they need each other so them being forced apart goes against all of that. I really wish we could re-do this ending. :(

And why did Luna need to retire? She had a thousand year break! 

• Brohoof 2

1 hour ago, Will Guide said:

What were the other two big problems with season 9?

The way they handled Sombra, and more importantly, the lack of development needed for the final arc, a problem that could have easily been fixed by doing away with some of the "filler" episodes. 

• Brohoof 2

Oh, I liked practically nothing about it and years later my opinion of it has only gone further down. I don't like Twilight moving away either, I would have accepted it if the whole arc of her taking over for the Princesses was written better but as it is it feels awful. Especially because Twilight feels like she has little to no agency in the arc, I never got the feeling she really wanted to rule Equestria all that bad through the season, the whole thing was just kind of pushed on her. Like the Princesses and everypony else just decided she should and she just went along with it. I can't shake the feeling that she would have been happier just staying in Ponyville where she had her whole life with her friends, her school she only recently opened, etc. Doesn't help that the season originally set up that they were all going to rule together, which I was wondering how they were going to do since they had their own responsibilities but then the series just decided that they wouldn't! Yeah, the others show up to that meeting once a month and I'm sure do some other stuff, but it looks like they just got to continue on with their normal lives while 90% of the responsibility falls on Twilight and Spike. That's not "Ruling together" at all.

I also just don't like the time skip, I usually don't like time skips. No, the last thing I want to see is not everyone being older, it's just jarring to me and the awkwardly crammed in shipping and shipping fuel that has no place here doesn't help. Then there's the whole Grogar twist in Ending of the End which pretty much ruins everything else, tosses Discord's character under the bus and nearly ruins him, wastes any potential Grogar had and leads to some insanely screwed up morality when the trio are harshly punished by Discord of all people, when he spent the entire season before this manipulating and using them, and apparently nobody cares about that for some reason. I get they're evil but you don't let the guy who set the whole thing up in the first place punish the people he was using like tools, it's just wrong. Especially so when a lot of this season went out of it's way to make the trio more likable and even somewhat sympathetic. I hate that.

The whole ending just feels wrong. Everything about it feels wrong. Nothing feels like it fits or suits the tone of the show. It all feels bitter, or mean-spirited or just empty. Really don't like it.

Edited by BastementSparkle
  • Brohoof 4

In a sense I can understand why, but for me (and I think most) it was really the perfect ending to the series as a whole. The Mane 6 continue their friendship even though their situations have all changed, various other characters gave grown and moved into different roles, the world itself has become very open (before whatever preceded G5), and everything just felt like it wrapped up so well.

I won't argue any subjective reasons why some may see this differently from me; it just is what it is.

• Brohoof 1

11 hours ago, xLuneti said:

Yes, I think Twilight Sparkle should have stuck to her district and Luna should have taken over Celestia's role as the leader of all of Equestria. 

• Brohoof 3

The ending had this taste of Josh Haber to it... Like how Twilight all of a sudden had to choose to be an executive produce.....

Let's rephrase that. Twilight should have stayed in Ponyville, and become a librarian. Sunset Shimmer should have returned and become the ruler of Equestria since she was destined to be a leader (seriously). Instead, one got to keep their friends, while the other one had to give up her friends.

Also, Josh Haber.

• Brohoof 2

I feel like Future Twilight being a lazy Celestia recolor embodies everything I dislike about the season. Also, I don't normally mind timeskips but the way FiM did it was just incredibly cynical and depressing to look at, especially when none of them barring Pinkie had families of their own and it's clear Twilight's going to outlive them all. Speaking of which the whole separating them in the final episode and the whole "they need to meet once a month" is just really dumb and bullshit especially since the beginning of the season established that they were gonna rule together. Speaking of rule, can we talk about how bullshit the "retirement angle" and how Twilight was thrown into being the new ruler without any say turned out looking back? Because holy fuck was that incredibly half baked and out of nowhere. Yeah I get it "Twilight was always gonna be Celestia's successor" but goddamn they both frontloaded the whole thing and half assed it in the final season.

Lastly the whole thing with Discord and the Terrible Trio. I'm really tired of beating this horse(pun very intended), so I'll just leave it with a very simple sentence: Discord can go fuck himself with a cheese grater. Bastard should have stayed turned to stone

Edited by Megas
  • Brohoof 5

Well, the only good thing that I liked about the ending was the final song, and that's about it.

Honestly, I'm pretending that everything that happened in Season 6-9 never existed (with a couple of exceptions), and the finale was the cherry on top of the crap cake.

It really boggles my mind that Josh Haber and Co. never looked at these scripts thinking, "hey, maybe this is not a good idea."

Discord played the characters throughout the final season, yet he gets away with it scot-free. Celestia and Luna retiring was a bit insulting because there's no reason for them to give Twilight the throne without any proper guidance. On top of that, Celestia never gives Twilight any proper princess guidance after Twilight became an alicorn. I'm not too crazy about the Twilestia thing either. She looks pretty awful. Spike looks terrible. And the rest of the Mane 6 didn't help matters as they look like they'll might be dead and Twilight will outlive them.

Man, I missed the day when the show was all friendship, magic, and fun. Now, it's a convoluted mess.

• Brohoof 1

Man so much negativity here. 

Let's just be grateful that they continue their friendship even after things get more busy for everyone involved. Because that's what happens to a lot of people in real life who grow up take on more adult responsibilities. They need to make time in order to hang out with their old friends.

True Friendship is not necessarily about seeing each other all the time it's about how your friendships affect you and turned you into a better person in your life. The same thing applies to the endings of Frozen 2, Toy Story 4 and Ralph Breaks the Internet where in the ending, the Main characters go their separate ways but they still remain friends, even if in some cases they cannot directly see each other again. That is a very important lesson about friendship that I feel people need to know.

4 hours ago, Will Guide said:

Man so much negativity here. You know the actual characters would be disappointed to see all the mean stuff we've been saying about them "breaking up" when they clearly did not break up. That was one of the main point of Fame and Misfortune. How some fans think they know what's best for their "celebrities" and disgrace them for not sticking to the "the fan's perfect perception" of said celebrities. We don't control their lives

Let's just be grateful that they continue their friendship even after things get more busy for everyone involved. Because that's what happens to a lot of people in real life who grow up take on more adult responsibilities. They need to make time in order to hang out with their old friends.

True Friendship is not necessarily about seeing each other all the time it's about how your friendships affect you and turned you into a better person in your life. The same thing applies to the endings of Frozen 2, Toy Story 4 and Ralph Breaks the Internet where in the ending, the Main characters go their separate ways but they still remain friends, even if in some cases they cannot directly see each other again. That is a very important lesson about friendship that I feel people need to know.

People are allowed to dislike the ending, so how about not trying to shame people by telling them how "Disappointed" their favorite characters would be in them for sharing their honest opinions on the finale? I think most people here recognized that the Mane Six didn't "Break up" and were still friends, that doesn't mean people have to like them being split apart like that. Maybe more people would have been alright with it if the arc was written better. My issue with it is that Twilight feels like she has no real agency in Season 9's arc, everybody else tells her she should totally be the Princess and she just goes along with it. She never really feels to me like she actually wants to do it, it's just kind of pushed onto her, and she has to leave behind so much of her life to go do it. That and it was set up as them "Ruling together" but that's clearly not what happened, as it's clear the others all got to continue with their normal lives for the most part while Twilight had to take on the vast majority of responsibility. No matter how hard the finale tries to sugarcoat it, it feels like a bad ending for Twilight, and I can't help but think she's have been happier staying in Ponyville.

The intended moral of the finale was good, but the execution in my honest opinion was terrible enough it ruins it.

• Brohoof 4

2 hours ago, BastementSparkle said:

People are allowed to dislike the ending, so how about not trying to shame people by telling them how "Disappointed" their favorite characters would be in them for sharing their honest opinions on the finale?

Yeah I should have edited that out but I'm not saying people are not allowed to dislike the ending. I can respect that they don't the ending, but I don't like it when people start hating people like me for liking the ending just because they don't like it and trust me I've lost some friendships because of jerks like them who kept yelling at me "how could you like the finale like this?!"

It's important to realize there are some people out there who will love what the rest of the world hates and it's not a good thing to hate on people just for standing out from the majority of the crowd

15 minutes ago, Will Guide said:

Yeah I should have edited that out but I'm not saying people are not allowed to dislike the ending. I can respect that they don't the ending, but I don't like it when people start hating people like me for liking the ending just because they don't like it and trust me I've lost some friendships because of jerks like them who kept yelling at me "how could you like the finale like this?!"

At least understand but there are some people out there who will love what the rest of the world hates and it's not a good thing to hate on people just for standing out from the majority of the crowd

Nobody in this thread was hating on other fans who liked it though, all criticism and "Negativity" was aimed at the series ending itself. I'm sorry you've had people act that way to you, but I understand perfectly well that it's not good to hate on people for a simple difference of opinion. Especially on a cartoon of all things, but that's a two-way street. I've gotten plenty of hate too, I've been told I should leave the fandom plenty of times for my opinions on the finale, been told I was "Not a real fan", even had people say I was the kind of terrible person who sent death threats to the writer's just for my opinion, even though I'd never do that. It's not just people who like the finale getting hate, people online in general aren't good at accepting differences in opinion so people on both "Sides" get it.

Edited by BastementSparkle
  • Brohoof 4