Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why was it never revealed why Flurry Heart was born an Alicorn?

mileshanmore

Do we think the showrunners/writers originally meant for this mystery to be resolved before the show's end? Or was it always supposed to remain a mystery? This is one of the few things that's always bothered me about G4. Celestia literally says a born Alicorn is something the land has never seen and then it's just completely forgotten. On a side note, I wonder if any more were conceived in the years between FIM and G5...?

• Brohoof 4

Unfortunately this is something where not even "marketing" is the right answer(as the writers admitted that her being an alicorn was their idea). It was a set up they made in the beginning of S6(where they hint at something more significant with her being born an alicorn something "they've never seen before") with absolutely zero direction and zero payoff

Either incompetence or laziness is the answer given they completely dropped this plot thread as soon as the S6 premiere was over

• Brohoof 7

49 minutes ago, Megas said:

Unfortunately this is something where not even "marketing" is the right answer(as the writers admitted that her being an alicorn was their idea). It was a set up they made in the beginning of S6(where they hint at something more significant with her being born an alicorn something "they've never seen before") with absolutely zero direction and zero payoff

Either incompetence or laziness is the answer given they completely dropped this plot thread as soon as the S6 premiere was over

Either way, Hasbro went along with it because it meant more toys could be sold.

• Brohoof 4

I'm crossing my fingers we'll hear more about it in G-5.  I kind of expect that, once Sombra gets defeated, we'll understand or at least gets hints about about what happened to old Equestria, including what Flurry Heart's significance is.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

My guess is that the idea of a baby alicorn was originally so that it gives them some ideas for episode and other stuff. Maybe for concepts such as the shenanigans one could go through when babysitting like in 'A Flurry of Emotions'

Or that they plan to touch on that sooner or later

Edited by Reality Check
  • Brohoof 3

Given all the cut content in Season 9, I'm sure it was just another thing they wanted to expand more upon while they had other new things they wanted to introduce, and in the end, they couldn't fit it all in. Given all the cut content in G5, I'm sure someone has at least had the idea to make Flurry Heart's alicornhood an important part of the lore. 

• Brohoof 2

4 minutes ago, DPBOX said:

Huh? Cut content in Season 9 and G5? What do you mean? What cut content? There's cut content? What is it?

Season 9 was originally going to include plot lines like Celestia and Luna passing away rather than retiring and a better incorporation of the show's most controversial plot twist with Discord and Grogar. I don't have links for the S9 stuff, but Equestria Daily has compiled all sorts of stuff that didn't make the final cut for the G5 movie, so much that I'm surprised to meet someone who didn't know.

https://www.equestriadaily.com/search/label/Concept Art

• Brohoof 2

16 hours ago, HereComesTom said:

I'm crossing my fingers we'll hear more about it in G-5.  I kind of expect that, once Sombra gets defeated, we'll understand or at least gets hints about about what happened to old Equestria, including what Flurry Heart's significance is.

I feel like the fanservice (most obviously references to G4) will definitely ramp up as that generation goes on :-)

• Brohoof 3

It was a useful plot hook that was never followed up.

There was lots of things they could have done with the show, but the plug was pulled. For all we know though, we might find out in G5.

• Brohoof 3

Her mother was an Alicorn, so why wouldn't her daughter have the possibility of also being an Alicorn?

It's just genetics

It's more amusing since it confirms that either Celestia and Luna never had kids, or the dice rolls kept coming up non-alicorn (since the Cakes showed that Earth Ponies can give birth to other pony races)

• Brohoof 3

4 hours ago, The Nth Doctor said:

Her mother was an Alicorn, so why wouldn't her daughter have the possibility of also being an Alicorn?

It's just genetics

It's more amusing since it confirms that either Celestia and Luna never had kids, or the dice rolls kept coming up non-alicorn (since the Cakes showed that Earth Ponies can give birth to other pony races)

Alicorns were mostly known as a species you could be if you did a princess worthy task as rarity put it. celestia luna and cadance were the only ones before twilight that were alicorns and its heavily implied that starswirl were tia and lunas mentor and made them alicorns. flurry heart confirmed that alicorns could be made with genetics and cadance just got a alicorn gene when she became one.

• Brohoof 1

I think they just didn't put much thought into the lore behind alicorns, so they kept it vague and rarely did anything with her. Poor writing. It's a shame, Flurry Heart was an opportunity to explore the history and nature of alicorns but they just moved on.

On 2022-03-05 at 12:29 AM, CloudMistDragon said:

Season 9 was originally going to include plot lines like Celestia and Luna passing away rather than retiring and a better incorporation of the show's most controversial plot twist with Discord and Grogar. I don't have links for the S9 stuff, but Equestria Daily has compiled all sorts of stuff that didn't make the final cut for the G5 movie, so much that I'm surprised to meet someone who didn't know.

https://www.equestriadaily.com/search/label/Concept Art

The G4 movie had some interesting changes as well... it was originally supposed to feature an alicorn named Cosmos, the brother of Celestia and Luna. The original concept was rewritten into both Tempest Shadow and a female non-pony character in the comics who retained the name Cosmos. Again, it was a chance to explore alicorn lore that never came to fruition.

• 4 weeks later...

Why is Cadance a Princess? Why is Flurry an alicorn? 

What do you think plastic pink Princess pony body with golden hooves and brushable blond/lavender/pink three-tone mane and gown, tiara and comb accessory that I bought for my niece?

91Q1DZL5LnL._AC_SX425_.jpg 

"I think maybe someone at Hasbro thought that lore or continuity had to be balanced against other considerations, valued customer."

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well it's hard to imagine it but cadence IS the first alicorn who is revealed to us to get pregnant... And for millions of years no record of alicorn doing it...

So maybe it's normal and we they just didn't try it up till now...

• Brohoof 2

• 1 month later...

It wouldn't make sense to explain it, it happened for the first time. They don't know why it happened.

On 2022-04-17 at 12:52 AM, Kujamih said:

And for millions of years no record of alicorn doing it...

What an interesting read it could have been... :lie:

• Brohoof 1