Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why was it never revealed why Flurry Heart was born an Alicorn?

mileshanmore

Uhhhh …. Because god horses can be born like that >_>. I’m a supplementary material reveals Cellie and Luna were born alicorns as well. In fact, Canterlot used to be inhabited by alicorns

2 minutes ago, TomDaBombMLP said:

Why does everything need to be explained? :huh:

To satisfy the core fans, everything has to be explained.

Flutter Heart sure was a one time toy commercial, and that's not really a good explanation for her alicorn powers in the show.

• Brohoof 3

6 minutes ago, Splashee said:

To satisfy the core fans, everything has to be explained.

Flutter Heart sure was a one time toy commercial, and that's not really a good explanation for her alicorn powers in the show.

It's because shining armor BANGED an alicorn! And cozy was lucky enough to get the Alicorn genes.

• Brohoof 2

I don't think there was any special reasoning behind it.

Cadance is an alicorn so it would make sense that it would be a roll of the dice that mutant crystal babby would be born an alicorn, just as much as it could have been a regular unicorn, pegasus or earth pony if it falls within the lineage of the parents. I mean prior to Twilight's ascention, you only had Celestia, Luna and Cadance as the only known alicorns. One of which is married, another who spent a considerable amount of time on the moon and the other one who is a centuries old sun spinster. Birth rates would be pretty low and rare. Obviously the married one out of the three would have the greatest chance to end up producing a baby alicorn.

At least that's where I leave it at in regards to Flurry being an alicorn.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
1 hour ago, TomDaBombMLP said:

I would have liked for FiM's writers to make things make sense but Treeglow Flicker's explanation seems like the most likely reason for

Flurry Heart's Alicornhood:

53 minutes ago, Treeglow Flicker said:

Cadance is an alicorn so it would make sense that it would be a roll of the dice that mutant crystal baby would be born an alicorn,

Edited by Sparklefan1234
  • Brohoof 2

• 4 months later...

I think Flurry Heart only existed so they could sell toy toys of her. Her being an alicorn may break the pre-established rule of alicornhood being earned but it did not really affect the progress of the show so I don't think it was too much of an abrupt change.

Edited by Rosy Moonlight
  • Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

In "The Journal of the Two Sisters" It is implied that both Celestia and Luna were born as and raised by other alicorns. This was confirmed canon until the episode "The Crystaling - Part 1" When Princess Celestia says "The birth of an alicorn is something Equestria has never seen." Which makes sense, since the only new alicorns since Equestria's founding were Cadance and Twilight, who both were not *born* as alicorns. However, canon is absolutely obliterated when Princess Luna adds that "It is beyond even our understanding" which would imply that Celestia and Luna were not born as alicorns.

My theory is that ultimately Flurry Heart was born an alicorn because Cadance was an alicorn. Realistically, there's no other explanation. Maybe all unnatural alicorns (Cadance and Twilight) naturally produce alicorn offspring? Who knows. Anyway, to sum things up:

Pre-"The Crystaling - Part 1" Canon:

• Celestia and Luna were born as alicorns to an alicorn race. (Stated in "MLP:TJotTS")

• Alicorns are either produced from natural alicorns, or transition into alicorns later in life

Post-"The Crystaling - Part 1" Canon (My Theory)

• Celestia and Luna were born as Unicorns (Assumed from Luna's statement). Celestia was chosen by Starswirl to raise the sun because she was one of the few whose power wasn't drained by doing so. (Shown in S8E7). Starswirl turns Celestia into an alicorn, and then goes through the same process with Luna in regards to raising the moon. (Assumed).

• All alicorns (born as one or transitioned to) have the ability to produce alicorn offspring.
  • Brohoof 1

Shame they didn't expand on the reasons for Flurry being born an alicorn. Would've been really cool...but for all...all you genetics fans can assume Flurry received both genes for Pegasus and unicorn, and Cadence being an alicorn strongly influenced the result. :Daydreaming: 

On 2022-05-26 at 4:53 PM, Tom Gallagher said:

If you set up something explicitly with mystery, people are going to expect an answer

• Brohoof 2

I think in the writers mind "another normal filly/foal" would have been less remarkable, and they had already been able to set up a few "free episode slots" with, "hey everypony it's the new filly" material, almost as if they were free spaces in a bingo game... they didn't want it to be just another normal filly, they wanted her to stand out and have remarkable traits, things that could "potentially" make the plot more interesting, and in the eyes of the viewer, it's supposed to kind of be like "wow Twilight had to work so hard for her wings and study magic for ages to be as good as she is, that's some kind of special little pony right there"! I am not as big of a Nazi as some of the other bronies when it comes to Canon but I didn't like Flurry Heart at all ... 

Ultimately Twilight seemingly was born with the ability to "become an alicorn" as she did in the season 3 finale, so this may suggest that not just Cadence, but potentially Shining Armor of course being Twilight's older brother may have carried some gene as well bc of alicorn potential running in their family's bloodline, and when it was bred with an actual alicorn the DNA was prominent enough to produce a filly with those inherent traits and abilities rather than them laying dormant within "The Sparkle family"...

But that's just a Theory, a PONY Theory!, thanks for reading...

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...