Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Was Grogar based on Shub Niggurath?

Jerry246

(edited)

Think about it.

- Both Grogar and Shub Niggurath are depicted as Goats. Shub Niggurath is sometimes known as "The black goat of the woods".

- Both have similar titles. Grogar being "The Father of Monsters" and Shub Niggurath being "The Mother of a thousand young".

- Both were known to spawn various monstrous offspring.

The only difference seperating them being gender.

Was This sort of parallel intentional by the writ

Edited by Jerry246
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)
Moments ago, Starforce said:

Wish it was. So many ideas went unheard.

i wish grogar was portrayed as an eldtrich god and the grogar in season 9 being the real grogar. Because you can't kill a cosmic horror that easily. 

Edited by Jerry246
  • Brohoof 2

I'm honestly not sure if he was given that much historical depth. He is, of course, based on Grogar of G1 and I'm not sure if you could link him with that.

• Brohoof 2

10 hours ago, Jerry246 said:

i wish grogar was portrayed as an eldtrich god and the grogar in season 9 being the real grogar. Because you can't kill a cosmic horror that easily. 

Exactly. They ruined the show for me, when they had Discord be him.

• Brohoof 2

Definitely not. Chrysalis would fit the bill better as Shub is the goddess of fertility; however, no feeble MLP villain can match the unfathomable nature of the Outer Gods. The closest thing to an eldritch deity is Harmony.

• Brohoof 1

Moments ago, Goat-kun said:

Definitely not. Chrysalis would fit the bill better as Shub is the goddess of fertility; however, no feeble MLP villain can match the unfathomable nature of the Outer Gods. The closest thing to an eldritch deity is Harmony.

another reason why i link Grogar to shub niggurath is that the black goat figurehead that she is worshied through happens to be male. 

8 hours ago, Pathfinder of Ash said:

I'm honestly not sure if he was given that much historical depth. He is, of course, based on Grogar of G1 and I'm not sure if you could link him with that.

I thought Grogar was inspired by the "Red Bull." Not the energy drink. The scary-powerful spirit monster from "The Last Unicorn." Yeah, goat, not bull, but there's the common thread of unicorns mysteriously being snatched away to an unknown location. 

5 hours ago, Brony Number 42 said:

It's kind of difficult to make an evil character that isn't similar to some older creature from fiction or myth. Those images and ideas influence us to some extent.

Kneel before Zorp, the evil potato!!!

ab08bf1c8695a762130366906df91ee6.jpg&f=1

20 hours ago, Steve Piranha said:

Harmony who? The tree?

The crystal shit that's sprouting everywhere like Tiberium, is aware of "friendship problems" all across the land, is immune to changes in the past, possesses fabulous powers, and is able to suppress natural order of things.

17 hours ago, Jerry246 said:

another reason why i link Grogar to shub niggurath is that the black goat figurehead that she is worshied through happens to be male. 

Grogar isn't Pan with a big donger dangling between his legs. If he was like Pan then you'd have a case. Goat deities are a horny lot. Still, while Black Goat of the Woods plays into the pagan cults, the entity behind the cults is an amorphous being from beyond. Grogar is just Grogar. Perhaps he can be regarded as a god, even a god of monsters, but a very human god nonetheless.

As awesome as that would be, I think of Grogar as more of a creator than a fertility deity. I like to think he's more like Odin or Thor, (it was goats that pulled Thor's chariot), though perhaps a bit darker and more harsh. In a Lovecraftian sense I think he'd be closer to hoary Nodens, a grumpy old warrior/nature god who hunts Nyarlathotep for sport. Discord seems to fit the bill for Nyarlathotep in that he can be a superficially benevolent being who ultimately only brings misery and madness. 

• 3 weeks later...