Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general media Is it okay to support the work of a person who is considered terrible?

phantompone1148

Just because the creator of a game, cartoon, or art is a awful person does NOT mean the stuff they made should be hated.  

29 users have voted

1. 1. Do you agree?

• Yes
    • No
    • Depends on the situation

4 hours ago, Envy said:

We have no need for them. They're one option out of many.

The more, the merrier :mlp_icwudt:. It’s always fine to have that many options in food services tho, and Chick-Fill-A happens to be the favorite of many 

• Brohoof 1

Depends on the situation.
Artist point of view > We're just people too and we have feelings, often we're put under a lot of pressure but that's no excuse to behave rude or have a very strong standpoint against something innocent. If I see an artist continuesly being rude i simply won't pay them because it's not worth it to give them more to feed their greed. [but that's my view]

When it comes to movies and such, i think.. that hardly affects the person even if you do watch whatever

I don't support JK's decisions but I like the movies?

• Brohoof 1

• 3 weeks later...

If the creator shared a opposite political views from you that doesn't mean shit other than just a mere personal opinions than I don't see the problem of continuing to like their work.  If you hate the person regardless, your personal choice. But don't go around spreading hate onto others who does like the creator just because you have a personal grudge against that creator.  If they're extremist, I  would never support creators if they use their work to harm people or specific groups because of their political views. 

Example, JK Rowling. I still support her and her work- sure there are something she say  that are bit strong and personal that I could disagree on, but that''s what is it.  Just a mere opinions. She's not harming anyone as she said many time before.  Now if she use her work to harm the LGBT then that's whole different story. But she not. Like everyone else, she has every right to shared her views and opinions. Who are you to say she's canceling culture when they'e doing the same to her by shunning her by saying she can't share her own opinions? Honestly, all she said was that these two different terms; sex and gender are not the same.  She not wrong but people forgets what these two terms means. This gender vs sex  topic, is what started all this shit. It's shame, can't enjoy HP without someone bringing this shit up or being called transphobic when I tried to explain the same thing I just mentioned about. 

• Brohoof 2

• 2 weeks later...

It depends on a lot of factors. What exactly the creator did, whether or not supporting their work actually supports them, and my own personal comfort on the matter. Supporting the work of someone like, say, Pablo Picasso doesn't really matter to me since he's six feet under already. He was a horrible person for sure, but liking his work doesn't contribute to much of anything. However, I would not be okay with supporting someone like JK Rowling. She's still alive, actively does horrible things, and she can't really be separated from her work. The opinions she has that which I disagree with are baked into a lot of her works.

• Brohoof 1

Yeah, it honestly depends on the work. Like take Koichi Sugiyama for example, who you might know as the composer of the Dragon Quest/Warrior games. Sure, I like the series, but his views were not very good due to ignorant views on his part. However, if it's someone who is not only alive, but they profit from hatred and their work shares hateful views, then that's a different story.

• Brohoof 1