Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Are the IDW comics cannon to MLP?

phantompone1148

They are until they're not, if that makes any sense. Unless the show does something that directly contradicts them, then they're usually counted as canon

• Brohoof 4

I love some aspects of the comics, but I've also seen some that don't really seem to fit within the world, even when they previously didn't or still don't contradict anything directly from the show.

It's great to have this bonus material about the series to enjoy, but with its disconnect from the rest of the creation process and being another medium, I don't think it's fair to include something that requires extra steps into the Canon. The same would apply even to officially licensed games for me.

Fan fodder, purely promotional content, and really well polished fanfiction don't make the cut.

• Brohoof 1

They are and they aren't, it's understandably bemusing. The comics are canon until they're contradicted, and then they can go on to become the "primary canon". 

unknown.png

Yup, take a look at that second last sentence, no joke. :nom:

• Brohoof 1

It's difficult to say whether they are canon or not. I'd say that Hasbro would be the ones who make that determination but they tend to leave IDW to their own devices and just give them some vague ideas to work with. I do know that the early issues aren't canon especially 'Siege of the Crystal Empire' because of what happened with Sombra in season nine. The later issues were written to be more closer to the cartoon but there may have been some leeway there.

I guess it depends on if you want them too be, MLP's canon is twisted and weird, and almost anything can be "canon"

18+ fanfiction could theoretically be "Canon" because the MLP Canon is so screwed up.

Officially, they said it is until the staff disconfirms an arc, so...idk.