Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What is one thing that would make you rage quit G5?

phantompone1148

Oh, I already did as soon as I found out that they threw the entire world that Twilight and her friends built into a meat grinder.  I rage quit when I read the one sentence synopsis of the movie.  I know that they had to manufacture some kind of new conflict so that an up and coming, spunky new filly could save the day or whatever the sh*t, but I just couldn't stomach that they literally rewound time to before the first Hearth's Warming.  It'd be one thing if dragons or changelings turned against ponies again for awhile, but to have the three pony species against each other was too much.  I couldn't watch the literal foundation and cornerstone of Equestria crumble into dust.

• Brohoof 2

On 2022-03-29 at 9:05 AM, Justin_Case001 said:

Oh, I already did as soon as I found out that they threw the entire world that Twilight and her friends built into a meat grinder.  I rage quit when I read the one sentence synopsis of the movie.  I know that they had to manufacture some kind of new conflict so that an up and coming, spunky new filly could save the day or whatever the sh*t, but I just couldn't stomach that they literally rewound time to before the first Hearth's Warming.  It'd be one thing if dragons or changelings turned against ponies again for awhile, but to have the three pony species against each other was too much.  I couldn't watch the literal foundation and cornerstone of Equestria crumble into dust.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who sees the conflict of this movie as Hearth's Warming 2.0, and I have seen it, twice.  I not only hate that it throws out much of what FiM built, but it kind of shoots itself in the foot too by virtue of it not being able to stand alone as it still technically uses FiM for its foundation.  I'd take far less issue with it if it was completely unconnected to the previous series, as then it would have just been the pilot to another series.  It would still be a lazy Hearth's Warming rehash, albeit with high production values, but at least it would be harmless.  Any plot holes that have and will continue to arise from any of the writers not going over the lore of FiM with a fine-tooth comb before insisting on building on it could have easily been avoided if it was just set in a world that's entirely its own.  Heck, I have to wonder what the point of tying it to FiM was anyways, as it could have been virtually the exact same movie, just without the throwbacks to the Mane Six, among other things.  I'm guessing it's going to be relevant to the show to some capacity, probably as a means to avoid as much effort as possible in world building.

On top of all of the above, the stakes of the film aren't very high, the characters are alright but way underdeveloped, and it's just set in a far less cool and interesting world that is very unlikely to allow for a fraction of the creative story setups seen in FiM, even with magic technically returning.  I'm still willing to give the new series a chance, but I'm really not expecting much.  Ironically, in an attempt to make a much more lighthearted FiM, the staff behind ANG inadvertently created some implications that are at least quite depressing, if not among the darker plot elements seen in FiM and its spinoff media...you know, for kids!

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

I find it cute when people use the term "politics" as if it means some vague concept when I know exactly the things they are alluding to. Tis funny. 

I have very little interest in G5 as is, but what would kill it entirely for me is one of two things: 

1. They bow down to the "anti-woke" crowd

2. They go as far as they can to make the show as cliche as possible, to appease the typical gender stereotypes and the ""TaRgEt AuDiEnCe". I know the fandom hates itself, but that doesn't mean the show has to be bottom of the barrel garbage. 

Edited by Kyoshi
  • Brohoof 2

Gratuitous pandering to fandom and heavy focus on worldbuilding over fun stories with the main cast.

Fandom pandering speaks for itself so I won't get into it, but the worldbuilding... Don't get me wrong I love a good history documentary and lore is fun to learn about, but I think a lot of people get lost in the sauce and forget that the show is supposed to be entertaining in its present too. Unfortunately it might be inevitable since what exactly led to the G5 world ending up like this is a huge mystery and probably worth looking into! I hope, at least, if they do decide to have a focus on the past, that they make it clear from the start rather than have a sudden shift in tone mid series or something.

• Brohoof 2

10 hours ago, AlbaTross said:

I'd take far less issue with it if it was completely unconnected to the previous series, as then it would have just been the pilot to another series.  It would still be a lazy Hearth's Warming rehash, albeit with high production values, but at least it would be harmless.

Couldn't agree more.  I so wanted ANG to be a completely standalone new universe with absolutely no connection to FIM whatsoever.  Then I would have been totally down for it.  I would have been so excited for it.  Even if it kinda sucked, it would have been fun anyway.  It's not like I would have needed to go hog wild with the community like I did for FIM.  I wouldn't have reviewed every episode on the forums, made and collected fan art, etc, but it would have been fun just to watch.  Why couldn't they have just made it a new universe entirely?  :dry:

10 hours ago, AlbaTross said:

Ironically, in an attempt to make a much more lighthearted FiM, the staff behind ANG inadvertently created some implications that are at least quite depressing, if not among the darker plot elements seen in FiM and its spinoff media...you know, for kids!

Oh, geeze, now I'm curious!  :laugh:  :dash:  Y'know, I heard that some parents or something complained that FIM was too dark at times.  Or maybe that was just the 2017 movie they were talking about.  Whatever they case, I heard that the staff tried to dumb down and lighten up ANG, which just blows my mind.  I mean, FIM is pretty damn light already.  Like, yeah, it has some moments that are pretty real and legit.  It has some dark, it has some sadness, but that's what makes it good--it actually has some genuine emotions, some maturity.  It's REAL.  You throw that out and you're gonna have.... like... what are you left with... f*ckin... like... Teletubbies or something?!  No, no, wait, I know--you suck the maturity and real emotions out of FIM and you've got GEN 3.5, that's what you've got!  It all sounds like a terrible idea to me.

On 2022-04-02 at 10:47 AM, Justin_Case001 said:

Couldn't agree more.  I so wanted ANG to be a completely standalone new universe with absolutely no connection to FIM whatsoever.  Then I would have been totally down for it.  I would have been so excited for it.  Even if it kinda sucked, it would have been fun anyway.  It's not like I would have needed to go hog wild with the community like I did for FIM.  I wouldn't have reviewed every episode on the forums, made and collected fan art, etc, but it would have been fun just to watch.  Why couldn't they have just made it a new universe entirely?  :dry:

And the best part of it being set in a universe that's entirely its own would have been that the writers, producers, etc., would have had even more freedom to write the story they wanted to write, because it wouldn't have been tied to anything.  I also don't think it was worth the effort in the end, because it doesn't make a ton of sense within the context of FiM once you really analyze it.  

On 2022-04-02 at 10:47 AM, Justin_Case001 said:

Oh, geeze, now I'm curious!  :laugh:  :dash:  Y'know, I heard that some parents or something complained that FIM was too dark at times.  Or maybe that was just the 2017 movie they were talking about.  Whatever they case, I heard that the staff tried to dumb down and lighten up ANG, which just blows my mind.  I mean, FIM is pretty damn light already.  Like, yeah, it has some moments that are pretty real and legit.  It has some dark, it has some sadness, but that's what makes it good--it actually has some genuine emotions, some maturity.  It's REAL.  You throw that out and you're gonna have.... like... what are you left with... f*ckin... like... Teletubbies or something?!  No, no, wait, I know--you suck the maturity and real emotions out of FIM and you've got GEN 3.5, that's what you've got!  It all sounds like a terrible idea to me.

I believe I brought up a theory in another discussion from some time back that I'm too lazy to look up now, but the gist of it is, the creators of ANG created a world where ponies suffered some kind of tragedy that not only prompted the three pony tribes to separate (along with the other races, presumably), but that when faced with a slow and terrible death at the hands of the Windigoes, the response wasn't "you know, maybe getting along is better than that", but rather, "let's come together and think of a way to work around that, so we never have to speak again".  This is the species that would preface every holiday season by bringing up Windigoes and the actions of ponies in the past to reinforce the importance of harmony with one another.  I can't imagine whatever events transpired to cause a schism between them was a remotely small matter.  Moreover, given how important magic is not only to a pony's being, but from a physiological standpoint as well, the solution ponies arrived at was to sacrifice a part of themselves (and of all future generations of ponies), as that would have been a more favourable option than trying to work things out among themselves.  

In any case.  I'm all for making something lighthearted, if it's good.  I get that children's media doesn't have to have appeal beyond its target demographic, and that's fine.  Heck, expending too much effort to try and appeal to the greater fandom by being as "lit" as possible probably would have resulted in multiple levels of cringe.  However, I very much dislike when people use "it's for kids" as an argument that something that falls into that category is somehow above criticism, and/or that being "for kids" absolves the creators behind something of the need to put effort into their products.  FiM proves that good storytelling can bring all manner of people together, whether said story is technically intended for them or not.  

As for the series to follow ANG, I think it's still on track to be the second best MLP series, if only because the bar for that is pretty low.  The film definitely lulls audiences in with its production values, music and other aspects that are good, but ultimately superfluous and tangential to good storytelling IMHO.  The Pixar-esque art direction?  Well, Pixar doesn't own 3D animation, and that really is only a small part of what makes such a movie good.  Heck, Pixar and later, Disney proper, would both release 3D animated movies with stories that are smaller in scale which focus on the importance of overcoming prejudice and/or dealing with issues that form cracks among people, and both are better stories IMHO.  Plus, in the case of Encanto, the waifus are better (SNS).  The music?  Well, Ingram can still write a good tune, but for me there's more to a good MLP track than having a good melody and vocals.  I'm all for the film trying to take inspiration from Disney or Pixar, but I just don't think that inspiration was channeled in quite the right way.

• Brohoof 2

I don't know about "rage quitting", but if they start trying too hard to explicitly connect it to the end of FiM, then I'll certainly lose interest in it. As things stand right now, the state of the G5 world doesn't make much sense within the context of G4, so the writers will have to tread carefully in that regard. Also, the last two seasons of FiM sucked in my opinion, so I'd prefer that they be ignored entirely and not referenced again.

• Brohoof 2

Like several other members pointed out, I think the only thing that will turn me off, including many others, is if the writers try to connect it in any shape or form to the G4 show. The differences, both visually and methodically, are too vast to seamlessly connect the two shows/styles. While the new MLP direction isn't my cup of tea, I agree that G5 should be its own thing while G4 remains its own. :proud:

• Brohoof 2

• 1 month later...

If Izzy would break the fourth wall and tell the audience how they are rendered in 3D, I would rage quit G5!

Spoiler

Also rap, and sadly TYT just did a rap thing and I kinda rage quit that show for the time being.

id probably get really fed up with G5 if they made too many stupid jokes or references. coz im picky like that. i don’t think id be able to fully abandon it though, lol :derp:

• Brohoof 2

7 hours ago, Kujamih said:

An ugly 3d dragon........ Oh no...

Is that your rage quit? :toldya:

I wouldn't even rage quit if the 3D looked like Filly Funtasia :Pharynx: (which that baby dragon reminded me of, somehow)

• Brohoof 1

14 hours ago, Splashee said:

Is that your rage quit? :toldya:

I wouldn't even rage quit if the 3D looked like Filly Funtasia :Pharynx: (which that baby dragon reminded me of, somehow)

:muffins:I envy you..... Actually wait, scratch that I pity your taste hahaha:ButtercupLaugh:

If they mess with G4 canon, G5 should be its own thing without defacing the previous generation. If they do something like turn somepony evil for no reason or a dramatic reveal that discredits all the work the mane six did then, yeah, I'd stop watching it. 

3 hours ago, rainbounce said:

If they mess with G4 canon, G5 should be its own thing without defacing the previous generation. If they do something like turn somepony evil for no reason or a dramatic reveal that discredits all the work the mane six did then, yeah, I'd stop watching it. 

G5 should have always been it's own thing from the start. I fail to understand the appeal in having the two connected. 

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
1 hour ago, -Buttercup- said:

G5 should have always been it's own thing from the start. I fail to understand the appeal in having the two connected. 

"Hey, remember that super-popular thing you liked? Well, here's a more modern version of that thing!" :twi:

Plus the Mane 6 references from the "A New Generation" movie probably helped to draw old FiM fans to the new MLP. 

---

Another thing I wouldn't be too keen on is if they started another "School of Friendship" type of storyline introducing non-pony characters. 

Edited by Sparklefan1234

22 hours ago, Sparklefan1234 said:

"Hey, remember that super-popular thing you liked? Well, here's a more modern version of that thing!" :twi:

Plus the Mane 6 references from the "A New Generation" movie probably helped to draw old FiM fans to the new MLP. 

---

Another thing I wouldn't be too keen on is if they started another "School of Friendship" type of storyline introducing non-pony characters. 

If I see a school in MYM...! :Cozy:

• Brohoof 1

I think what'd make me quite G-5 would be if they did something uber-disrespectful with one of the characters, having them behave in a way that makes no sense based on what we know from the show.  I don't mind the Mane Six being long-dead---everyone dies eventually!---but if they were made to act in a way that didn't make sense, e.g. they themselves were responsible for the separation of the three tribes with no explanation (or a bad explanation) why, then that might make me ragequit.

...Unless I suspected deception on the part of whoever was saying the Mane Six did something awful; then I might stick around for the intrigue of unraveling the mystery!

On 2022-05-17 at 2:52 PM, Sparklefan1234 said:

Plus the Mane 6 references from the "A New Generation" movie helped to draw old FiM fans to the new MLP. 

Pretty much.  It was all likely a cheap corporate tactic to drum up interest because they probably didn't have enough confidence in their new product.  I certainly doubt I'd have taken up being a Brony through G5 had I not already been one through FiM.  Of course, I doubt I'd have much to say at all about G5 were it not force-tied to FiM, so maybe Hasbro got the payoff they were looking for in a roundabout way?

• Brohoof 1