Swoop

47 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it! >:(
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was ok.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

In all honesty, this episode was really adorable. I loved how in the end, Rarity was able to calm Spike's greed.

I also must say that part was kind of a tear jerker on my part

Again, my sentimental side comes out and I love it :3

On the adorable/awesome scale (which I am fully aware does not truly exist) I give this episode a 50/10. One of my favorite episodes and the "I'm assaulting him with cake!" line is still my favorite line from the show.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

This was one of the best episodes ever. That last falling scene was brilliant.  And I love how Rarity has a newfound affection for Spike from then on. 10/10

• 1 month later...

I had been waiting to see this episode for a long time.

When I finally saw it, it more than exceeded my expectations!

It really, REALLY made me want to watch it again!

I LOVE THIS EPISODE, and it is my ultimate favorite!

Spike is just so cute! I hate to admit it, but even though he's a baby dragon, he may be my new cartoon crush.

And I love everypony's shock when they found out Spike was the villain in this episode.

Oh, and I also found it hilarious that Spike was still clever, even when a big, insane dragon.

It's better than going back to G2

img-30884-1-tumblr_lhcovqqIR61qeuz19o1_5

I always think it's hilarious how at the end of  the first episode of generation 1, the ponies ask Spike, are you gonna turn into a prince? And Spike says, I've always been a dragon! 

Me: And you always will be...

FYvUJpC.jpg

eSdU842.jpg

uukWRkp.jpg

I had been waiting to see this episode for a long time.

When I finally saw it, it more than exceeded my expectations!

It really, REALLY made me want to watch it again!

I LOVE THIS EPISODE, and it is my ultimate favorite!

Spike is just so cute! I hate to admit it, but even though he's a baby dragon, he may be my new cartoon crush.

And I love everypony's shock when they found out Spike was the villain in this episode.

Oh, and I also found it hilarious that Spike was still clever, even when a big, insane dragon.

Are you a fan of shipping Spike and Rarity? Or, you know, think they are good together, like I do?

I love the moment where they were falling down and spike almost told her about the "secret" crush on her.

Edited by Starlight Song

Are you a fan of shipping Spike and Rarity? Or, you know, think they are good together, like I do?

I love the moment where they were falling down and spike almost told her about the "secret" crush on her.

Well, I'll admit, they are a cute couple. They ought to do an episode that involves Spike being jealous of some stallion Rarity has a crush on... kinda like my roleplay!

Well, I'll admit, they are a cute couple. They ought to do an episode that involves Spike being jealous of some stallion Rarity has a crush on... kinda like my roleplay!

Well, he might become jealous of Fancy Pants. She does seem to care about what he thinks and danced with him at the Canterlot Wedding. But he has a wife... At least I think....

Well, he might become jealous of Fancy Pants. She does seem to care about what he thinks and danced with him at the Canterlot Wedding. But he has a wife... At least I think....

Good point. I do believe he has a wife... when Rarity met him there was a cute mare there who was following him around and loving on him...

Good point. I do believe he has a wife... when Rarity met him there was a cute mare there who was following him around and loving on him...

People call her "Fluer De Lis" or however it is spelled. Apparently she's a trophy wife, the way she flounces around him and he completely ignores her.. ect, ect. At least this is what the fandom as deemed her.

I was thinking about this episode the other day after reading a thread about immortality in MLP. This episode struck me as actually being really depressing for the following reason:

The more Spike adds to his treasure pile, the more he grows, the more he ages, and the greedier he becomes. Essentially, the normal lifespan of a dragon emphasizes that greed is the curse that kills. I guess it's a good lesson, but at the same time, it could be taken to a dark place if someone wanted to write a fanfic about it. Spike was saved by his love for Rarity. Without that, he might have descended into greed-induced madness and progressed through his life cycle. It just struck me as an interesting perspective. 

• Brohoof 1

• 3 months later...

Okay, I'm so confused about how a dragon's life span works... so Spike grows when he gets stuff when he hits puberty, but does that mean he ages too?  Because the teenage dragons seemed to stay a certain size in dragon quest.  However when Spike learned the value of generosity, he turned back into a kid.  So does that mean Spike with be a kid forever?  Or will he... AAAAARGHH!!!  I'm so confused!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Uh oh, watch out everypony, here comes SPIKEZILLA!!! img-1379355-5-xtWXQl1.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnK0IFyiAts

Besides of course how simply awesome he is in "The Crystal Empire: Parts 1 and 2", "Secret of My Excess" is probably Spike's best episode to date, for good reason.  It's a very fun episode, but also a very revealing one, with some interesting revelations about dragon behavior in MLP canon, some very great developments in character relationships, particularly between Spike and Rarity, and best of all, some wonderful moments of friendship.

So to start, let's cover Spike.  This little guy's got a lot going on in this episode.  For starters, it's his birthday (which I find interesting seeing as it so closely follows Twilight's birthday, which was celebrated in the previous episode), and his first birthday in Ponyville at that.  Prior to the celebration he does one of the kindest things he's ever done in the show and gives a fire ruby he's been, as he puts it, ripening for months to be a birthday present to himself to Rarity after she expresses great admiration for it!  Now, let me go on a tangent simply to say this: FIE TO EVERYONE WHO COMPLAINS THAT RARITY'S A JERK AND UNGENEROUS FOR ACCEPTING THIS FROM SPIKE!!!!  Despite displaying GREAT admiration for the ruby, Rarity never once asks for it and only accepts it after Spike absolutely insists she take it!  She also doesn't just utilize it in some outfit for her business, but proudly displays it as a mark of Spike's great kindness and generosity.  It's a great moment for Spike and his relationship with Rarity, and I'm sick of hearing bronies complain about it, so that's that.  In hindsight, this moment also highlights just how different and, to be frank, better a dragon Spike is than most members of his species, especially once we learn just how ingrained greed is in dragons' DNA in the MLP universe later in the episode.

Anyways, tangent over, back to Spike.  After getting a well-deserved peck on the cheek from Rarity for his great generosity (which the little guy's probably been dreaming about since he first met Rarity back in Season 1 wink.png), Spike has a great birthday.  In fact, it's probably the best birthday he's ever had, seeing as he gets all kinds of presents from not only Twilight, but all of the Mane 6.  Most of his birthday is in fact a fun scene, seeing as the practically seventh main character of the show is so seldom in the spotlight.  I especially love when Spike gets a pimp hat from Cheerilee; what she was doing with that in the first place, I will never know, but I really want to! happy.png

96560%20-%20cheerilee%20pimp_hat%20spike

640px-Cheerilee_gives_Spike_a_hat_S2E10.

"Happy Birthday Spike!  Here, have this pimp hat!"

"Woah..."

65278.png?1353693463

"...I always wanted my own pimp hat!  It completes the ensemble!!!" img-1379355-5-xtWXQl1.png 

Anyways, things of course start getting out of control when Spike finds that he likes getting presents from others a little too much; soon, after some rapid growth spurts that can't possibly have been just because of puberty, we learn that all the material goods received have triggered some type of inherent desire for as many material goods as possible that it seems all dragons have.  I really like this detail seeing as it's a very natural way to add a rather important, big detail about the MLP universe as a whole without deviating from, but rather progressing, the storyline of an episode.  Pretty soon, Spike gets out of control and grow enormous, hilarity, peril, and gratuitous destruction ensue, but after Rarity appeals to Spike's true self, Spike goes back to normal, lesson is learned that it's far more rewarding to give to your friends than receive, and a solid episode is brought to an end.  Like I said, this is really a great episode for Spike, and until "The Crystal Empire: Parts 1 and 2" it was probably his best!

Next, let's cover Rarity.  I had a lot of problems with her behavior in "Sisterhooves Social" and "Sweet and Elite", so I'm very happy to say that she very much makes up for her errors in those two episodes here.  She's extraordinarily kind to Spike, very, very generous to her friends in that she designs capes for all of them free of charge after being inspired by Spike's own generosity, and just all around the likable Rarity she should've been in her starring roles earlier in the Season!  This is the Rarity I love, the Rarity who has a truly generous, good heart all while still exhibiting an over-the-top, larger than life personality.  Besides those positive traits, Rarity has some very memorable, funny moments throughout the episode, especially towards the end after her abduction by Spikezilla.  Overall, this episode is a big reason I am far more forgiving of Rarity's behavior in "Sweet and Elite" than I probably should be, because it confirmed that, despite some major insensitivity in the previous episode, she was still the same mature, likable, generous pony she'd always been.

mlfw1534_large.jpg

I can still haz fire ruby???  Oh thank u!!!  I luv u Spikey Wikey!!! wub.png 

Besides Spike and Rarity, a big part of what makes this such a solid episode is the comedy.  First, we've got a plot-ton of fantastic references galore, from a very clever musical reference to "The Sorcerer's Apprentice" at the beginning of the episode when Twilight is re-shelving her books, to the not-so-subtle-but-all-the-same-deliciously-awesome King Kong/Godzilla send-ups at the end of the episode when Spike transforms into Spikezilla.  Twilight's sibling-like behavior with Spike makes for some very funny moments as usual, especially when she's trying to figure out why he's grown so large so fast, Spikezilla in general is absolutely hilarious, and the rest of the Mane 6 all have their own funny moments, such as Applejack when Spike is stealing her apples and leaves, Pinkie Pie when Spike is trying to steal her cakes, and Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy when they attempt to stop Spikezilla and later when they save Spike and Rarity from falling to their doom.  There is an absolutely lovely moment at the very end of the episode when Rarity and Spike are plummeting to their doom and Spike tries to share his feelings with Rarity; when she silences him, tears in her eyes and smiling back, it's a really very touching moment, conveying that she knows how he feels and really does appreciate his affections for her, whether or not she will ever be able to return them in the same way.  Finally, I love the closing scene itself just because I wish more episodes ended like this one; all the Mane 6 gathered together as the lesson of the week is delivered, just enjoying each other's company.  Lovely, simply lovely.

Overall, "Secret of My Excess" is a solid episode, one Spike's best, and definitely a fun one to rewatch.  Despite not being among the most spectacular of episodes in MLP history, it's definitely a notable episode with great comedy, some interesting canon, and even some lovely, touching scenes, and if you're looking for a great Spike episode, I'd start here.  Besides "The Crystal Empire: Parts 1 and 2", they don't get much better than this for Spike!

22341__safe_rarity_spike_animated_kissin

And who says dreams don't come true? vsTALhM.png   Keep on trucking Spike; someday, you just may win her heart! biggrin.png 

• Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...

I still say that the form we saw on this episode isn't his "true" adult form

I think that since it was a "forced" growth, its different than what he'd look like when growing normally. Of corse, given the show's rather vague explanation on dragons, there's many posibilities for this.

For example, there's always the chance that dragons ONLY grow by greed...which, as a natural part of draconic lifestyle, allows all dragons to grow steadily, but since Spike is different (raised by ponies) this will cause him to stay at that size forever unless he gives in to his greed. Who knows. There's also the chance that he will grow normally, but since Twilight said a dragon's simple nap last for 100 years, dragons may age so ridiculously slowly that he may only grow a few inches after a hundred years.

• 5 months later...
(edited)

MY EYES!!! THEY BURN!!!!

...I actually kind of liked that movie...  Oh, and Phantom, this was technically part of G1.

This was the first episode that I've seen.  Pinkie's reaction to the Sugarcube Corner's destruction was priceless!

Edited by Washougal_Otaku

• 3 months later...

One of my least favorite episodes. I just don't like the plot (Spike growing for no reason :eww: why would a baby dragon become an adult?), and I'm not a fan of Sparity...
I like the end though.

Edited by Blobulle

• 1 month later...

I personally find this one kind of underrated, especially on this site.

It's actually one of those episodes that aren't exactly in my Top 10, but are REALLY close.

I don't know, it's just so touching and sweet, plus for some reason, it pretty much made me like Rarity and Spike.

I thought this episode was half good, half bad. It involves Spike getting a bunch of birthday presents and becomes greedy for more things and hits puberty. I'll just say Spike's greediness was kind of unpleasant. However the parts with Rarity were nice, and also the scene inspired by King Kong was decent too.

Edited by TheJLeeTeam

• 7 months later...

I didn't like it since there was a lot of Rarity x Spike ship going on, I don't really enjoy those kind of episodes :/. 

• 1 month later...