Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Equestria's First Alicorns

bubbleteapony

(edited)

I've got a next gen universe going on over on my deviantart page and made a piece based off the history of Celestia and Luna and how they became alicorns, since I wrote a decent bit for it I thought i'd post it here as well! there's a couple retconned things from the official FiM timeline, so just bear with me

(art is by me, background is by CloudyGlow on da)

celeslunamark.thumb.png.0d5e297cb0516fa492f1eee9d20e1914.png

It was hopeless.

The two pony sisters stopped at the edge of a dark forest to catch their breath, exhausted from fleeing their now chaos-overtaken home. The monster known as Discord had been ravaging Equestria for months, waving away the ponies' attempts at overthrowing him like it was nothing, costing resources and lives. His first target had been a small village in the east, a simple settlement of a few farming ponies. By some miracle, the only ponies able to escape were two orphan sisters, Celestia and Luna. Found and raised by master wizard Starswirl the Bearded, the town hoped that with their magical training, the two would be able to find a way to stop Discord's onslaught before it was too late.
However, Celestia and Luna had been searching for months, narrowly avoiding the draconequus' sight, and there was still no sign of a solution. All the combined magics of the unicorns, Starswirl included, wasn't enough, so how were they to find a source of magic more powerful than that? Despite the odds stacked against them, the sisters had been able to stick through it and remain positive; surely in all the corners of Equestria, something would be able to help them.
But now, week after week and running and hiding and searching, they were tired. They couldn't even return home to deliver the sad news that they hadn't been able to find anything, for there was no home to return to. They were losing energy and the willpower to keep going.
Their silence was broken by the stomp of a hoof. "It's not fair." Luna muttered quietly. Celestia lifted her head to look at her sister, whose own head was bowed, and her body trembling. "We didn't do anything. None of us did anything." She spoke, trying to hold back tears that were already flowing. "Why us? Why Equestria? We didn't DO anything to him, why is he ruining our lives? There are hundreds of other places he could have gone after, just leave US alone!"
Celestia took a step forward and lifted her hoof to rest on Luna's shoulder. "Luna, dear sister, if he hadn't come here-"
"I know it's selfish." Luna interrupted, meeting Celestia's sympathetic gaze. "But I'm just so tired. It feels so hopeless. And I can't stand seeing everyone suffering. It feels like we're failing all of them, and I wish... I wish he had just gone somewhere else. Make someone else fix it. I can't do this anymore."
"I know." Celestia sighed, motioning for her sister to sit down next to her. She began running her hoof through Luna's hair to help calm her down. "I know. It isn't fair. And we didn't- Nobody did- do anything to deserve this. But-" She raised Luna's head with her hoof, "This is our reality. And we're the only ones who can put a stop to this tirade. I'm tired too, and I just wish more than anything that we were back home listening to one of Starswirl's hundreds of lectures on the importance of scroll maintenance."
Luna chuckled at the comment, "Yeah, or getting a scolding for hiding his beard combs again."
The two sisters laughed for the first time in many moons, reminiscing on their mentor's habits. After a quiet moment, Luna stood back up. "You know what?" She said, regaining her confidence. "I don't care if we have to look for the rest of our lives. I'm not stopping until I find a way to wipe that awful grin off Discord's ugly face. I wanna look him in the eyes when we topple him, and laugh. For Starswirl." Celestia nodded and stood up as well. "For us." She added. The two sisters smiled, and put their hooves together. "For Equestria!"

Suddenly, a bright light flashed from beside them. Startled, they turned to look at their now-glowing cutie marks. They looked at each other in confusion, and noticed that forehead marks were also faintly  glowing. A wave of magic light emanated from deep in the forest they stood before, almost beckoning them in. The two sisters shared a knowing look, and took off into the brush towards the beacon. Danger or no, they weren't going to ignore anything that could possibly help them defeat Discord. The woods surrounding them as they ran were surprisingly untouched by Discord's inharmonious magic, but they were too focused to take much note.
With the light of their cutie marks to guide them, it didn't take them long before they came to the mouth of a cave located at the bottom of a lush ravine. Their marks stopped glowing, but their cutie marks continued, urging them to enter. Luna was unsure, but Celestia smiled and led her in. At the deepest part of the cave was a huge, crystal tree with a rainbow of crystals growing from its branches like fruit. The sisters shared a questioning glance, but before they could say anything, a voice spoke. It simply said, "Celestia and Luna. Take this gift, and save Equestria."

Everything went white. The ponies felt themselves get enveloped by a magical energy, warm and comforting, and somehow familiar. It felt like home, like where they belonged. For a brief moment, they forgot about their strife and suffering. Then images began to flash through their minds; memories of studying with Starswirl, chasing each other through the farm fields, hiding in the brush away from their burning home from infanthood... then dark shadows. A being of chaos appearing, and turning everything they knew upside down. Screams of fear, ponies fleeing. Endless sounds of hoofsteps and heavy breaths. And then a feeling of power, and security. A new sense of strength, and an ability to finally put an end to the destruction. Feelings of returning home, and seeing their loved ones again. Hundreds of ponies under their care and protection, and a thriving new country."

When the light faded, Celestia and Luna fell to the ground, suddenly weak. When they stood, their vision of each other began to clear, and they couldn't believe what they were seeing. Celestia boasted two large wings, and Luna an elegant horn. It was impossible. They had become something that was a legend, something they'd only heard of in old mares' tales.

They were Equestria's first alicorns.

The voice rang out once more, and they saw the six gems from the tree being lifted towards them. "Take these." The voice said. "These are the Elements of Harmony, representations of your shared love for each other and the land of Equestria, and ability to defend it from harm. Go, and defeat the tyrant known as Discord."
Celestia and Luna looked at each other with a newfound determination, and began their long trek back home, to finally put an end to the chaos.

So yeah!
tl;dr, Celestia and Luna are the only ponies able to escape from their small village home when Discord begins to take over Equestria. They're able to find the tree of harmony, which deems them the saviors of equestria, and grants them alicornhood, tasking them to defend equestria and its citizens from harm.

I'm not a writer by any means, but I hope that flowed fairly well :,D not taking criticism on the writing cause it's just meant to supplement and explain the image.

these are the things i've retconned/rewritten: Celestia and Luna are still a unicorn and pegasus, respectively, when Discord appears. I figured the literal embodiment of the opposite of *harmony* would be a fitting reason for them to gain alicornhood. Also, at this point in time, the Pillars of Equestria don't exist yet. Don't know whether I'm including them at all in the sugarverse (the name of my nextgen), cause it kinda just muddles things for me :awwthanks: I also changed around the origin of the tree of harmony as well; when Grogar attacks young Equestria, Gusty the Great is able to stand up to him using a newfound power fo unity among the ponies. The combined power and exhaustion from fighting is too much for Gusty once she defeats Grogar, so she finds a remote spot in the woods to release the magic so that it can be used to protect the future ponies of Equestria. The power happens to take hold of a little tree in the cave Gusty found, and voila, the tree of harmony is created! Also, Celestia and Luna are twins in my universe
Edited by bubbleteapony
  • Brohoof 9

20 hours ago, Starforce said:

Nice art! I have always believed however, that Celestia and Luna were born alicorns.

Thank you! I believed that for a long while too, but I decided to go with what Celestia said about she and Luna not being born alicorns when Flurry was born. Also, I thought it would just be neat to have Celestia and Luna be turned into alicorns :BrightMacContent: i was actually originally planning on having both of them be earth ponies but didn't go with it

• Brohoof 4

1 hour ago, Starforce said:

@bubbleteapony

Maybe that's because they weren't originally from Equestria. 

Good point! It would've been nice to get some clearer backstory on the two in the show other than "we're old"

if they went more into backstories on celestia and luna before their mentorship with Starswirl in the comics or anything else, I would've missed that cause I don't really read those:awwthanks:

Interesting! I like some of the smaller idea like starswirl being the two sisters surrogate father and alicorns being folklore already before celestia. I wonder why the tree didnt make the m6 alicorns when it saw them. also i presume the voice is the trees spirit? if this was before twilight what would it be? ig starswirl as he was mentor to celestia and luna like how twilight was to the y6

• Brohoof 1

20 hours ago, reesespuffed said:

Interesting! I like some of the smaller idea like starswirl being the two sisters surrogate father and alicorns being folklore already before celestia. I wonder why the tree didnt make the m6 alicorns when it saw them. also i presume the voice is the trees spirit? if this was before twilight what would it be? ig starswirl as he was mentor to celestia and luna like how twilight was to the y6

Yes, the voice is the tree's (and by extension, Gusty the Great's) spirit! In the story, the tree makes celestia and luna alicorns as well as bestows the elements upon them because they needed a way to defeat discord.

In all honesty, I completely forgot that Celestia and Luna found the elements in the Tree to defeat discord in the actual canon show, so thankfully this isn't too far off from that haha. I just feel like the FiM timeline gets too complicated by the end of the series so I adjusted some things to simplify it

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
21 hours ago, Sparklefan1234 said:

You're Welcome, BFFFF with one of my new favorite signatures on all of MLP Forums! :D

Aw, thank you so much!! :D

19 hours ago, rainbounce said:

Love this! We've never seen a Pegasus become an Alicorn before! 

e90d9066c089c5e21ec1d6b07a5a3b60.gif

Thank you!!

• Brohoof 1

1 minute ago, bubbleteapony said:

Aw, thank you so much!! :D

You're Welcome, BFFFF! 

On-topic: Are those two ponies related to Celestia and Luna? 

• Brohoof 1

On 2022-05-21 at 12:00 PM, Sparklefan1234 said:

You're Welcome, BFFFF! 

On-topic: Are those two ponies related to Celestia and Luna? 

Yes; in fact, they ARE Celestia and Luna, just waaaaaayyyyy in the past before they became alicorns :P My versions of them, at least

On 2022-05-21 at 1:06 PM, Splashee said:

Very beautiful drawing @bubbleteapony :pinkie:

Thank you so much! :D

• Brohoof 1

Oooo; these are amazing! Such great quality OMG! <3

• Brohoof 1

3 hours ago, bubbleteapony said:

Yes; in fact, they ARE Celestia and Luna, just waaaaaayyyyy in the past before they became alicorns :P

Before the PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWERS back when they were "Celia" and "Lucy". :rarity: