Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

S01:E03 - Sisters Take Flight

CastletonSnob

• The title was changed to G05-TYT:S01:E03 - Sisters Take Flight (MLP: Tell Your Tale)

A much needed Zipp/Pipp episode. Even if these episodes are short, I enjoy seeing the Mane Five get a bit more to do, since they were all basically sidelined in A New Generation. This one actually got several laughs out of as opposed to only one in the past two episodes, which is a good sign for Zipp and Pipp's dynamic. If we get more stuff like this in Make Your Mark, I think it could turn out to be great.

Spoiler

And I totally relate to Zipp's pictures. :-D

• Brohoof 1

This is easily the best one so far. A straightforward plot, but full of nicely done comedy to go along with great character moments between Pipp and Zipp.

• Brohoof 3

I enjoyed the various sight gags that occurred. I haven't laughed at something this good since watching some old 70s and 80s programs a couple of days ago. To get me to laugh is an honour in and of itself as it requires an awful lot to get me to do that. 

• Brohoof 1

Zipp's real name is Zephyrina? My outlook on this generation will never be the same! In all seriousness, this one was decently funny and I liked how they explained why Pipp and Zipp are living with the other Mane 5 characters instead of in Zephyr Heights. 

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

I really like, if not love, this episode.

How it (and the following episode) shows Queen Haven's adoration of her daughters.

It introduces Zipp's introverted side, which gets to compliment her daring side.

And showing how everyone is just enjoying each other's company while trying to navigate their new world.

:blue_baloon::balloon:

This might seem random, but after I watched this episode, I realized that this show can be compared to what DC Superhero Girls 2019 is to MLP: FIM.

Both MLP:FIM and DC Superhero Girls 2019 were created by Lauren Faust.

Both shows came after the name/s of something really big and grand, and it would be a common hope that both shows could be enjoyed without facing the comparison all the time.

By the way, I'm still trying to figure out which Zephyr Heights Princess remind me of what show.

What do you think they remind you of?

Edited by Rosy Moonlight
  • Brohoof 2

Finally, the first back story of G5! So, why are they moving from Zephyr Heights again? :ooh:

After 2 episodes, the Pony Life quality is creeping in. A lot of gags that are fun for the young. Not as hyped and surreal like Pony Life, but I feel like there won't be any cool interesting adventures and continuity with this show.

Pipp is not my favorite character from the movie, and she is not going to be my favorite in this show either.

• Brohoof 1

I loved it. I love seeing more of my favorite character, Queen Haven. The more I watch this the more I am reminded of a video game, it honestly reminds me a lot of Super Mario Galaxy for some reason. These are actually pretty good!

Unpopular opinion here, I found this one kind of blah. It didn’t feel like much was actually going on, and the fast pace didn’t really help me soak into Zipp’s struggles. It also would have helped if it explained why the sisters had to leave (is it really intended to be permanent or is just more of a diplomatic mission?), or at least explain more than just “an adventure.”

10 hours ago, OptimisticNeighsayer said:

Unpopular opinion here, I found this one kind of blah. It didn’t feel like much was actually going on, and the fast pace didn’t really help me soak into Zipp’s struggles. It also would have helped if it explained why the sisters had to leave (is it really intended to be permanent or is just more of a diplomatic mission?), or at least explain more than just “an adventure.”

I'm pretty sure it's because they're going to live with the other three.

• Brohoof 1

10 hours ago, OptimisticNeighsayer said:

I think that having the 5 ponies that brought the magic back and reunited the pony tribes (whatever one might feel about that) moving in and living together would look good to the public.

And that could be one motivator to becoming roommates, other than their friendship.

• Brohoof 1

My favorite of the four for obvious reasons. I came into this series expecting another Pony Life, which I did not care for, so my responses have been mostly positive.

We get cute sister moments, I like. Simple as that. I like how Zipp doesn't like being in photos or videos, at least in situations where she's already embarrassed.

Let's have some moar bounce gif to celebrate. :Daydreaming:

2842725.gif

• Brohoof 2

I liked this episode because it reminds me a lot of my sibling and I. I’m the introvert that just wants to be left alone and my sibling is the bubbly, loud one who is excited over everything. I appreciate representations of siblings like this. I also like how Queen Haven is such a good mom here since most queens in kid’s media are evil and strict.

Wonder if Pipp and Zipp leaving means they are stepping down from the throne, though. Doesn’t seem practical unless Queen Haven plans on finding another heir soon. I hope it gets explained in the future so we know whether these two are still princesses or not.

• Brohoof 2

As of now this episode is my second favorite out of the batch released so far. Like I have mentioned before, the series as a whole has a bad flaw in that the episodes are too short and are almost completely reliant on quick, cheap humor, so all of the episodes so far are very hindered by that (along with any other issues specific to the episode its self). This episode has some good mixed in with some bad, so I'll talk about both here.

To start out with some positive, the premise for this episode is one I was hoping to get at some point. It would seem odd to have the sisters living in Maretime bay with no context on how they left Zephyr Heights, so I'm glad the writers at least thought of that. However, as a side note, it doesn't make much sense for the future heir to the throne leaving the very city that she will one day rule. Zipp's character being developed a bit more is another positive with this episode. While it isn't much (and would be able to be much more in a full length episode), it is still good to see at least some character development. Lastly, this episode shares some of that consistency that Zipp's Flight School has by showing that pegasi are still very new to flight, and therefor aren't very good at it yet.

Now for the cons, I'll start by mentioning the episode's length. Since I've already made the same point before I'll cover this one quickly. The episode's premise is a good start, but the length of just five minutes leaves it feeling rushed and lacking substance while also leaving a decent amount of unanswered questions. Some of these questions include the one about Zipp I mentioned above, and also are the citizens of Zephyr Height back to being big fans the royals despite being lied to by them for years? The humor in this episode, while serving the funny purpose, is very spontaneous and weirdly executed. These issues could be fixed or at least reduced if the episode was standard length. Lastly, is Pipp. While he sister may have gotten some interesting character development, she did not. Pipp still feels like a two dimensional character who just cares about having social media followers, and taking selfies. Though I was very skeptical about her character going in to G5, I still held hope that she would surprise me and show that she can be an interesting character. Unfortunately so far, she is just as two dimensional and annoying as I feared she would be.

Overall, this episode has a good premise and some decent character development for Zipp, but it still falls victim to a short duration and an overabundance of slapstick humor. 

Am i SERIOUSLY the ONLY ONE to notice the adult joke/innuendo in this episode?At the start,when we are outside Pipp room with Zipp,we hear the noises that Pipp make.Hmmmm.....LOL:ButtercupLaugh::Thorax:

Well it certainly was nice to see an episode of the two sisters right out of the gate. It was relatively simple, and highlighted their dynamics and personalities. We also saw some of Queen Haven. It would have been nice to see more of what went into the decision for Zipp, Pipp, and Izzy to move to Maretime Bay though.

Edited by Skylight Scintillate

• The title was changed to S01:E03 - Sisters Take Flight