Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What do you think of Tell Your Tale?

CastletonSnob

Now that I watched the first 6 expisodes, here's my thoughts:

-While the art direction might not be for everyone (it doesn’t bother me if you ask me), this isn’t too noticeable with the use of animation in some episodes, like Zipp’s Flight School, especially the timing, easing and squash & stretch.

-Speaking about the principals of animation, they need to work a little bit on the anticipation. The initial bag sequence from Sisters Take Flight could have been much funnier with some emphasis on anticipation.

-I’m very glad that these are 5 minutes episodes instead of the traditional 22 minutes from Friendship is Magic, because some episodes of G4 were too long for the material that they were working on (episodes such as Too many Pinkie Pies, Shadow play and Non-Compete Clause were too long). This short length perfectly fits the style of Tell your Tale.

-None of the six episodes was bad. These were from ok to decent.

-I’m not a huge fan of the pop songs, but I really like the background music, especially in Zipp’s Flight School.

-While these episodes weren’t completely hilarious, most of them made me chuckle. They’re funny.

-The fact that The Unboxing of Izzy has such a goofy concept for a short episode suggests to me that this show will focus on goofy silly ideas and Make your Mark will focus on the adventure approach from the film A New Generation. An episode like that wouldn’t fit in Make your Mark and it would work against the approach of the upcoming show.

Overall, I like Tell your Tale. It wasn’t too special, but for a TV show that you can watch for free in YouTube and has 5 minutes episodes, you can’t say “this is a huge waste of my time”. I think the initial reaction was overblown, but at the same time that's what happened with Equestria Girls, and now people like that franchise. It's not hilarious, it's not a disaster, it's just fine. It could have been worse, like Illumination level of bad.

I'm actually enjoying the series and looking forward to new episodes now that I've had the chance to watch them. Although the art and animation could be much better, I have very little complaints about the story other than wishing the episodes could be about 5 minutes longer.

• Brohoof 1

I suppose I should give a more thorough analysis of TYT from my perspective. 

I will say, the Pegasus sisters have really been given their time to shine here, whereas they got the short end of the stick in the film, and they have quickly gone from being my least favourite Mane Five characters in the movie, to my favourite characters in these shorts, go figure.  I like that while they clearly have different interests and lifestyles, but due to being sisters who have grown up together, they seem to understand one another in a way that nopony else can, and are able to use that to encourage one another.  On a side note, I also like that this series acknowledges that Pegasi would have difficulty figuring out flight now that such an ability has just returned to them, which could have easily been swept under the rug, like what will probably end up happening with Unicorns now having magic. 

As I really dislike G5's connection to FiM, I'm thankful TYT is unlikely to acknowledge any such connection.  As a result, if the upcoming Netflix series doesn't work for me, I might end up preferring this spinoff.  I can still get some enjoyment out of it as a turn-off-my-brain type series, so it has that going for it, even if I don't think it's all that special.

I also fully expect that as the series progresses, other Mane Five ponies will be given more adequate time in the spotlight.  These shorts are sure to continuously change up which character is the focus.  It just happens that currently, the Pegasus sisters are the ones who have had the most spotlight...even more so than Sunny, come to think of it.

From a production standpoint, the low budget animation doesn't bother me so much.  Of course, the ponies still sport Cutie Marks on only one of their flanks, which I guess debunks the theory that it's a symptom of full cutie marks looking off in 3D animation.  It's just lazy, plain and simple.  Well...that and an attempt to make various toys look less lazy.  I definitely prefer FiM's 2D art style, but it's not as though I find these shorts to be eyesores.  This series looks adequate enough for me.  It does its job.  

While the series isn't groundbreaking or even the greatest, it's excelling at giving character to Pipp, Zipp, and Hitch and I strongly appreciate that! Add to the fact that it is MUCH more grounded than Pony Life and it's just a good, decent, fun little romp.

I approve!

• Brohoof 4

2 hours ago, Sock.Mp4 said:

it's better than pony life..!

but definitely "YouTube series" quality :mlp_rarity:

Oh, goodness I almost forgot about Pony Life, mostly because I didn't watch it after seeing two episodes and noping out of it.  There was also a series of shorts in a 3D art style starring Pinkie and Rainbow Dash along with somepony else from the Mane Six, where they didn't speak, only grunted, and just kind of did things archetypal to whatever character was the focus.  Even though I've always felt I could watch the Mane Six for hours just living their lives, that series put me to sleep, so I dropped it after about four episodes.  

I've seen six episodes of TYT and will likely keep up with them...for now.  So...yeah, I guess it gets a point for being better than those other made-for-YouTube shorts.  

I won't say I'm disappointed, because I wasn't expecting much after seeing the art style. It's cheesy. I think I got a laugh at one point. That's the best i can say. It's a mess. The art is bad and the episodes lasted longer than the amount of time it took to think them up. Half the episodes were basically "we're bad at this, but after a 10 second pep talk we're suddenly pros". I know there's not much time in any given episode, and I know it's a kids show, but neither of those is an excuse for bad writing.

I'll give it a chance to get better. If nothing else it's something I can turn my brain off and watch for a few minutes.

• Brohoof 2

Without the 3D Movie, or the 3D Game.... TYT is just another Pony Life in disguise with worse character art and design style. I am keeping up with it because I need to know how damaging its story is to the other G5 media.

• Brohoof 2

• 2 weeks later...

Doesn't really excite me. The humor usually falls flat. Honestly, outside of the art style (which I think looks better in TYT), Pony Life is superior to this. But at least we're getting more character development and world building ahead of the "proper" G5 show.

• Brohoof 1

Eight episodes in, nine starting tomorrow, and this show is still good. The TikTok parody episode, I feel that did inspire a few more people to be more critical of the show, but I still just take it for what it is. The latest pure Hitch episode was also definitely better than just "good for what it was". :bedeyes:

• Brohoof 2

7 hours ago, CastletonSnob said:

TYT seems to be a supplementary series to Make Your Mark, as opposed to Pony Life being a separate series from FiM.

Pretty much my thinking after seeing Posey in the recent TYT short and the new MYM trailer.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Half of the ponies look like deers with horse manes and tails and human faces.

The other half look like horses with human faces.

:maud:

Also, the humor of G5 isn't self-aware like G4 was, but I can say G4 owned its humor and it would make sense that G5 wouldn't bother trying to match up.

At least G4 self-aware humor is one thing G5 isn't butchering so far.

Edited by Rosy Moonlight

After ten episodes I think it's okay quick, light entertainment. It's not going to be a favorite of mine. Hopefully we'll get some content that takes it's time to tell a good story and let us get more of the characters. 

• Brohoof 1

Honestly; the more I watch the more I like. This most recent episode has really confirmed that for me.

• Brohoof 2

I think the fact that the premise of G5 overrides the premise of its predecessor throws a ton of pressure on it especially on Tell Your Tale, which is honestly made of questionable shorts that are meant to resemble some sort of overarching storyline.

For me, not only are the executions of artstyles strange, but also the structures of the contents.

• Brohoof 1

15 hours ago, ashy said:

the episodes feel very rushed, i'm not sure if i like it anymore...i'm a little worried, but we'll see when the new special comes out. regardless of anything tho, i'll still love and cherish g4 forever so yee :3

I feel the same way. The newer episodes are starting to get a bit boring

• Brohoof 1