Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Sprout is a wanted criminal?

Toastypk

I posted about this on its episode thread, but I feel it should get its own thread.

In Nightmare Roommate, the outside of the police station shows this:

2840281.jpg

Sprout is on a wanted poster! Does this mean he's on the run? Was it for his actions in the movie?

Or is this only just a random visual thing and nothing will be made of it?

What do you think?

• Brohoof 2

So let me get this straight.

Starlight manipulating other ponies for several seasons after being reformed: Totally OK.

Sprout destroying a lighthouse: That's where we draw the line.

Welp, there's another way to identify Starlight fans I guess.

This is something I noticed a couple of months ago and I hope it doesn't get a snowball effect in the next years. I don't get why people would be pissed at Sprout and demanding that he needs to earn some redemption when Friendship is Magic  has a very long record of a character that doesn't learn from her mistakes such as Starlight. Keep in mind that she's been like that from 2015 to 2019.

Edited by Ring Team
  • Brohoof 1

2 minutes ago, Ring Team said:

So let me get this straight.

Starlight manipulating other ponies for several seasons after being reformed: Totally OK.

Sprout destroying a lighthouse: That's where we draw the line.

Welp, there's another way to identify Starlight fans I guess.

This is something I noticed a couple of months ago and I hope it doesn't get a snowball effect in the next years. I don't get why people would be pissed at Sprout and demanding that he needs to earn some redemption when Friendship is Magic  has a very long record of a character that doesn't learn from her mistakes such as Starlight. Keep in mind that she's been like that from 2015 to 2019.

I'm a starlight fan so I might be bias.... But have you watched MLP season4? Really?

I'm sure if starlight didn't change up to season 9 she would be the final villain and everyone has to help each other just to beat her, and I mean everyone. I'm not even sure if OP twilight could beat her...

I thought that little detail was really funny, and even though I'm extremely tired of how much redemption arcs are shoved into so many cartoons these days, I think Sprout could earn it after doing some time. 

• Brohoof 2

1 hour ago, Kujamih said:

I'm a starlight fan so I might be bias.... But have you watched MLP season4? Really?

I'm not a big fan of season 4. There are some episodes I like and some others I love, like Inspiration Manifestation and Rarity takes Manehattan, but if you're saying this because the Mane 6 did horrible things, then yes, I agree. But I think Starlight should have been more critiziced because:

1. She was a villain in the first place and…
2. Considering the first point, she’s supposed to learn friendship instead of keep manipulating everyone with magic as she did in Cutie map.

I still haven't seen the first episodes of G5, but I like that they want to give a sense of continuity that G4 lacked so much. I don't defend Sprout, don't get the wrong idea. I'm just saying that hating him for the same reasons people loved Starlight is either naive, hypocritical or disturbing.

Maybe it's just human nature, and I don't want to adress the "we live in a society" meme (I don't wanna be reductive), but I feel like if Starlight did something in G4 that's similar to what Sprout did in the film A new generation, I can guarantee that Twilight and the entire Ponyville would be ok with Starlight and forget about it in the next episode.

Edited by Ring Team
  • Brohoof 1

3 hours ago, Ring Team said:

I'm not a big fan of season 4. There are some episodes I like and some others I love, like Inspiration Manifestation and Rarity takes Manehattan, but if you're saying this because the Mane 6 did horrible things, then yes, I agree. But I think Starlight should have been more critiziced because:

1. She was a villain in the first place and…
2. Considering the first point, she’s supposed to learn friendship instead of keep manipulating everyone with magic as she did in Cutie map.

I still haven't seen the first episodes of G5, but I like that they want to give a sense of continuity that G4 lacked so much. I don't defend Sprout, don't get the wrong idea. I'm just saying that hating him for the same reasons people loved Starlight is either naive, hypocritical or disturbing.

Maybe it's just human nature, and I don't want to adress the "we live in a society" meme (I don't wanna be reductive), but I feel like if Starlight did something in G4 that's similar to what Sprout did in the film A new generation, I can guarantee that Twilight and the entire Ponyville would be ok with Starlight and forget about it in the next episode.

Is she a villain though?

She only started  learning in season5 

And again you question Twilight's decision... Hence you don't have a problem with starlight but in twilight.:toldya:and again starlight LET twilight win....

Think about that too... If she was truly a villain, do you think we'd still have the mane 6?

Probably?

If you ask me, I didn't like the ending of Cutie remark. I think Twilight shouldn't have given her a second chance considering what she has done and what she would eventually do in the next seasons. But that's a completely different discussion.

• Brohoof 1

If not us, then who? Even gods themselves can be defied. If not Twilight, then someone else. Power shall be no excuse for leniency, but if that is to be the case with Luna, Discord, and Starlight, then I shall gladly accept my Delusion.

Anyhow, if past is to serve as an example, then Sprout deserves community service, nothing more.

... On second thought, Sprout would indeed try to evade said community service. One can never be sure if something in MLP is there for plot, or for shits and giggles.

Edited by Goat-kun

It’s an interesting background detail.

Perhaps this will come into play in a future episode of TYT…Of course, probably being handled in a silly way.

• Brohoof 2

3 hours ago, Ring Team said:

Probably?

If you ask me, I didn't like the ending of Cutie remark. I think Twilight shouldn't have given her a second chance considering what she has done and what she would eventually do in the next seasons. But that's a completely different discussion.

I believe she made the right decision to save starlight. First of all SHE offered friendship because SHE can't beat her.

If SHE backed out from her words then SHE would be hated by everyone, including the fandom. She would become a s#it talker.

This would make it worse since twilight would be painted as the bad guy now since starlight did change and she offered friendship to stop her. Then when returning she then punishes her? 

Now that's not MLP.:toldya:

Re: the Starlight discussion, we have to remember that the story developments are written by people. These characters don't exist, they aren't real. Starling being "too strong" and having to be defeated via friendship being extended to her was a decision from writers. A decision that many people (myself included) think is bad. Her story had a lot of potential to be good if not great, but almost every layer of it has some glaring flaw that ruins the whole thing.

Additionally, how does Starlight facing punishment mean Twilight would be a hypocrite? They could totally be friends while Starlight faced actual accountability for her actions, but sure make her a student instead of giving her much needed rehabilitation. It's not like she's going to use magic on other people without their consent a whole bunch again! It just comes off as very poorly thought out. 

Now in an attempt to keep this on topic... I want the exact opposite of what happened to Starlight to happen to Sprout. I want him to face some sort of punishment (jail time, community service, I'll take anything), have to work to gain trust from anyone, have to prove that he has changed, and not be handed an insane privilege on a platter. And most important of all, I want it to be actually shown over time. No heartfelt 2 minute montage. It shouldn't take over the entire show, but there shouldn't be an instant change either. 

Edited by Scila Bell
  • Brohoof 1

I don't see why it couldn't be possible that Sprout is wanted in Maretime Bay, so I think it's feasible. With that said, it would need some explaining as to why Sprout is wanted when all he did was manipulate ponies into building a machine for himself and destroyed property. Not really criminal actions if you ask me, just enough to get him some time spent doing community service as a punishment, like maybe a few weeks.

• Brohoof 1

9 hours ago, Kujamih said:

I believe she made the right decision to save starlight. First of all SHE offered friendship because SHE can't beat her.

If SHE backed out from her words then SHE would be hated by everyone, including the fandom. She would become a s#it talker.

This would make it worse since twilight would be painted as the bad guy now since starlight did change and she offered friendship to stop her. Then when returning she then punishes her? 

Now that's not MLP.:toldya:

That doesn't justify the negligence of Starlight whenever she manipulated anyone. It's not only Every little thing she does, it's basically every episode where she uses magic as the main solution to a problem without considering this might backfire.

When I say Twilight shouldn't have given her a second chance, I don't specifically say "I want an episode where Twilight kills her". I think more like transforming her into a statue or sending her to the tartarus.

17 hours ago, Ring Team said:

That doesn't justify the negligence of Starlight whenever she manipulated anyone. It's not only Every little thing she does, it's basically every episode where she uses magic as the main solution to a problem without considering this might backfire.

When I say Twilight shouldn't have given her a second chance, I don't specifically say "I want an episode where Twilight kills her". I think more like transforming her into a statue or sending her to the tartarus.

Is not turned to stone faith worse than death? And again starlight surrendered not because she lost but she herself gave friendship another shot. 

You think twilight didn't try that? She was actually trying to kill her. Sure the laser only shows that it can only cut clouds but they actively avoid it because it's dangerous.

Their fight  shows to twilight that violence is NOT the answer. Since she can't beat her.

It's like this....

You and me had a tussle...

Let's say I have the upper hand.

We usually end up in a draw.

You compromise.

Offer friendship.

I agreed.

Then you turn me into stone.

I would probably hate you and over power you and consider you the bad guy.... Alot of people would agree etc. And bad ending.

4 hours ago, Kujamih said:

Is not turned to stone faith worse than death? And again starlight surrendered not because she lost but she herself gave friendship another shot. 

You think twilight didn't try that? She was actually trying to kill her. Sure the laser only shows that it can only cut clouds but they actively avoid it because it's dangerous.

Their fight  shows to twilight that violence is NOT the answer. Since she can't beat her.

If Starlight gave friendship another shot, she shouldn't have done things like this then.

2009889.png

I think Starlight manipulating every character with base-breaking overpowered magic shouldn't be a solution for a character who's supposed to learn from her mistakes. I don't think Rainbow Rocks is a good film, but one thing it did right was showing the cause and effect on Sunset Shimmer's actions. Sunset tried to control the highschool in the first film, so of course people are gonna hate her in the second film. That males sense. But unlike Rainbow Rocks and the 2017 MLP film, no one (absolutely no one) questions Starlight’s intentions despite the fact that she’s dangerous. The show clearly questions Discord because he was evil. That makes sense. But the entire Ponyville and Canterlot don’t give the same treatment for Starlight.

Basically, Starlight using her magic to manipulate ponies and swap cutie marks in an abusive way to achieve her goals and being a jerk with her new friends is really bad. Not to mention her constant negligence and lack of discipline, which makes her even less relatable, less tolerable, less likeable and less empathetic. I mean, even TV Tropes describes Starlight as “the biggest Base-Breaking Character in the show”.

aHR0cHM6Ly9pLmliYi5jby9XQlkzd3NzL2Jhc2Ut

7 hours ago, Ring Team said:

If Starlight gave friendship another shot, she shouldn't have done things like this then.

2009889.png

I think Starlight manipulating every character with base-breaking overpowered magic shouldn't be a solution for a character who's supposed to learn from her mistakes. I don't think Rainbow Rocks is a good film, but one thing it did right was showing the cause and effect on Sunset Shimmer's actions. Sunset tried to control the highschool in the first film, so of course people are gonna hate her in the second film. That males sense. But unlike Rainbow Rocks and the 2017 MLP film, no one (absolutely no one) questions Starlight’s intentions despite the fact that she’s dangerous. The show clearly questions Discord because he was evil. That makes sense. But the entire Ponyville and Canterlot don’t give the same treatment for Starlight.

Basically, Starlight using her magic to manipulate ponies and swap cutie marks in an abusive way to achieve her goals and being a jerk with her new friends is really bad. Not to mention her constant negligence and lack of discipline, which makes her even less relatable, less tolerable, less likeable and less empathetic. I mean, even TV Tropes describes Starlight as “the biggest Base-Breaking Character in the show”.

aHR0cHM6Ly9pLmliYi5jby9XQlkzd3NzL2Jhc2Ut

Heck if I was overpowered as starlight I'd probably accidentally abuse my power.... I wouldn't even blame her for killing discord.... :ButtercupLaugh:

And you think friendship has no manipulation? If you ever study a child's behavior and friendship it's hella full of manipulation.... Usually manipulation can be a good thing sometimes.

But in starlight's case... She thought that was normal, and it became a lesson to her that manipulation is wrong... And if you still hate the episode don't blame starlight... Blame the writers for their poor execution.

Oh slapping the book to the river? Priceless.

Swapping the cutie mark of Tia and Luna? Thank you for introducing to us DAY BREAKER!!!

I WISH SHE WAS SUCCESS FOR LEADING THE MONSTER TO THE RAINBOW HIVE.... That way there'd be no more colorful changelings.... Everyone hates them so I guess that's safe to say?

Thanks for manipulating the mane 5. Apple jack said one of the best lines thanks to her.

Kills discord. Thank you...

Trixie and starlight are the best.... Trixie had it coming....

Some of it are mehh... Forgivable that's for sure.

The hate for starlight is over exaggerated...

I mean is starlight's sin worse than discord?

Heck we have no idea what discord even do... But he was set in stone.....twice.... 

Discords goal was to rule Equestria with chaos.

Starlight wants Peace... Turns out she was doing it all wrong... Now she's trying to change 

While discord at first just did it for fluttershy....which he betrayed. Then was forgiven.... Remember... Discord successfully helped tirek.

The only pony left with magic was twilight....

So before you stone starlight.... I suggest you stone discord first.

6 hours ago, Kujamih said:

Heck if I was overpowered as starlight I'd probably accidentally abuse my power.... I wouldn't even blame her for killing discord.... :ButtercupLaugh:

And you think friendship has no manipulation? If you ever study a child's behavior and friendship it's hella full of manipulation.... Usually manipulation can be a good thing sometimes.

But in starlight's case... She thought that was normal, and it became a lesson to her that manipulation is wrong... And if you still hate the episode don't blame starlight... Blame the writers for their poor execution.

Oh slapping the book to the river? Priceless.

Swapping the cutie mark of Tia and Luna? Thank you for introducing to us DAY BREAKER!!!

I WISH SHE WAS SUCCESS FOR LEADING THE MONSTER TO THE RAINBOW HIVE.... That way there'd be no more colorful changelings.... Everyone hates them so I guess that's safe to say?

Thanks for manipulating the mane 5. Apple jack said one of the best lines thanks to her.

Kills discord. Thank you...

Trixie and starlight are the best.... Trixie had it coming....

Some of it are mehh... Forgivable that's for sure.

The hate for starlight is over exaggerated...

I mean is starlight's sin worse than discord?

Heck we have no idea what discord even do... But he was set in stone.....twice.... 

Discords goal was to rule Equestria with chaos.

Starlight wants Peace... Turns out she was doing it all wrong... Now she's trying to change 

While discord at first just did it for fluttershy....which he betrayed. Then was forgiven.... Remember... Discord successfully helped tirek.

The only pony left with magic was twilight....

So before you stone starlight.... I suggest you stone discord first.

Discord deserves to be stoned, don't get me wrong. But it doesn’t make Starlight any better considering the lessons she’s supposedly learned by this point. Shifting the blame to Discord doesn't automatically make her a better character.

Edited by Ring Team