Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

phantompone1148

Wasn't there a topic like this, already? Anyway. I don't know. But I love the show like the first day. I can watch one of my favorite episodes and be transported to that time where I was just jaded, instead of totally jaded. Hahaha. No, really. It is like time travel for me. I don't think those things we truly love "age" per se. It is like when you see one of those elderly couples in the street. And they still love each other, despite being eXtReMeLy decrepit. Like that.

Edited by They call me Loyalty

Considering the lessons of that series are timeless, I'm thinking it'll continue to age well for a while.  My next opportunity to find out will be when my kids have kids of their own, and I'll break out the MLP when I babysit.  

• Brohoof 1

Honestly, I think FIM has aged overall really well, even better than many shows I REALLY like. In addition to its morals and lessons still being applicable today in our current environment, the fantasy setting also keeps the setting from getting dated. I think future generations could get into it really well. ;)

Some parts more than others. Stuff like Slice of Life can come across as pretty aged nowadays, and much of the early season content in general can feel like a products of its time as well. That said, in terms of the actual writing quality, animation, and characters, I think it is aging better than a lot of other series can boast; certainly among young girls' entertainment. I do think the later Seasons are not going to age as gracefully as Seasons 1-4 or so, but even considering that, I think FiM will be used as a great example of making entertainment for young girls legitimately good, not just insipid rubbish.

I’m going to go out on a limb and say that in some respects, the older episodes might not age as well in the long run as the later episodes as some might think. While there was definitely more energy and sheer creativity in the earlier seasons, they also depicted a world that was already largely perfect with a few kinks to sort out, and rely on a platonic conception of values that are transcendent, unquestionable and must be preserved. Later seasons tended to depict an Equestria that is more fundamentally broken, and the values that it cherishes are conceived of as more realist (i.e. purely within the institutions themselves) and capable of evolution, which I think is more in line with the Zeitgeist of today (at least in some mainstream circles).

There was an article I read a while back about how “Hamilton” and other works from the early to mid 2010s are now seen as a bit cringe today as they tended to gloss over real life realities in favor of the abstract optimism of the day; I wish I could remember where it was.

Of course, the overall style and the characters themselves were always very appealing, so if nothing else those aspects will endure. 

• Brohoof 1