Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Looking for OC advice

Shadowmoth2011

I'm sure at this point you know about my namesake OC, Shadowmoth. She's bad to the bone - she's a cruel, malicious criminal Pegasus who wants nothing more than to cause absolute pain and fear in all. One other idea I had for her was to use her reputation to her advantage - playing on other ponies' fear of her and using it to get what she wants, with the ultimate goal of causing so much chaos and despair in Equestria with the help of her goons that it's left as a broken husk of its former self, leaving her to rule what remains. She's intelligent, knowing exactly how to cause trouble without making herself a target for goody-two-hooves like Princess Twilight too soon - but she is very arrogant (like many villains), and as her following grows, she can get rather lazy, sending her minions to do her dirty work rather than getting her hooves dirty, unless her opponents prove to REALLY be a danger. :mustache:

I'm currently trying to come up with ideas to expand on Shadowmoth's story, goals and decisions as a bad guy (duh). Her crimes will help her gain power, turning ponies into her goons using their fear and hatred, before eventually it gets to the point where a war starts thanks to her growing power. My main ideas, as of right now, involve her (post-The Last Problem) stealing an ancient artifact (presumably from the same merchant from whom Trixie bought the Alicorn Amulet) that allows to reverse petrification, and using it to un-petrify Cozy Glow (choosing her in particular because Shadowmoth knows as well as you and I do that Chrysalis and Tirek would probably smash her into a green paste), taking her under her wing as an apprentice. :Cozy: Using their combined smarts and sociopathy, Shadowmoth and Cozy make a terrifying criminal team, and soon Equestria isn't as happy as it used to be...

But I fear this is a pretty garbage idea, lol. :muffins: I am terrible at writing fics - my only real expertise (besides many attempts and ideas from the distant past, WHICH I'D RATHER NOT TALK ABOUT LOL) are a bunch of Jen/Caitlin ficlets and one chapter of a Detentionaire fic I'm still procrastinating on. :twismile: So, I decided to turn to you guys for help. I do wanna do something with this potential story idea - some kind of war fic with Shadowmoth as the villain, that is either mostly just in MLP, or a grand crossover of a whole bunch of shows (Shadowmoth DID originate from a dream where she was confronting the 6teen characters, after all). But I need advice on how to expand on Shadowmoth and her potential plans and behavior, so her tale can be best figured out. 

So, got any advice? Feel free to reply with it! :fluttershy:

IT HER.png

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, Ika Musume said:

What if she invented special kinds of weather for terror, like crazy storms or black lightning? Pegasi can do crazy weather stuff 

That's a great idea! Shadowmoth's pegasi abilities APART from flight would be a good way for her threat status to have more weight added to it. It'd definitely make her one scary horse to deal with.

1 minute ago, ExplosionMare said:

I think you should start out by focusing on her motives--what is driving her to steal and cause chaos everywhere? Does she enjoy being evil or only see it as a way to survive or seek vengeance?

I like to think that she has ASPD - antisocial personality disorder, or sociopathy. (Stupid me not mentioning it in the main post, I know.) TVTropes has the scoop. "A self-centered and ruthless social predator who preys on others for their own benefit" is a perfect way to describe her. She also has a distaste for the Equestrian culture's focus on friendship and rampant preaching of camaraderie, when she sees literally no use for the concept when hatred and terror could easily get somepony twice as far if they know how to use them. In general she has a strong lack of empathy and a grandiose sense of self-importance, and would rather step on MILLIONS of other creatures to get what she wants.

• Brohoof 1

Given her rather mundane goals and capabilities, make her a servant of windigos. At the end of all things, she'd be serving them whether she'd want that or not. Lacking a heart shields none from the frailty of mortals, and having a brain shields none from the wrath of gods.

• Brohoof 1

5 minutes ago, Goat-kun said:

Given her rather mundane goals and capabilities, make her a servant of windigos. At the end of all things, she'd be serving them whether she'd want that or not. Lacking a heart shields none from the frailty of mortals, and having a brain shields none from the wrath of gods.

An interesting idea! I like the idea of featuring the Windigos in the story. Due to Shadowmoth's sheer hatred for all and the hatred Equestria has for her, that's bound to draw the Windigos like a magnet. I can see Shadowmoth making a deal with them - help her cause trouble and control the creatures around her, and they'll have all the hate they could ever wish. Of course, this'd lead up to an inevitable betrayal, as often happens between villains working together - but who betrays who? That's the mystery...for now ;)

• Brohoof 1