Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Officially worried about G5

Star_Quake

While I haven't seen anything from G5 quite yet, (I want to buy the movie on Microsoft for example), my main worry is the reliance on nostalgia for easy points. With G4 being the phenomena that is was, I can understand wanting to tap into that wealth of memories but nostalgia these days makes me sad more than anything. Plus it is mostly cheap. I'd rather create new memories than constantly be reminded of old ones. Sure this is a worry that is likely not warranted but still. I'm still out of the loop on most G5 stuff so for me it is wait and see. 

• Brohoof 1

Welp no need to worry since our greatest fear has come true. Ayt everyone time to burn the franchise!

We were right the phone in Equestria was a bad idea. At first the movie didn't show much about it and our fear of pip being the generic cellphone user wasn't apparent yet.

But the latest episode has solidified that part and what's worst is there are creatures from pony life present in gen 5....AAAAAAA!!!!:derp:

• Brohoof 1

10 hours ago, AlbaTross said:

Much of the problem with the managing of the various series could probably be attributed to the shift in recent years from shows being things viewed on TV networks to things behind subscription paywalls, with opportunity for YouTube as a means to reach a wider audience.  It just feels as though MLP isn't making the transition well, as everyone involved, from Hasbro to even Netflix is clearly still trying to figure out the proper way to present such a series in this day and age.  Such an issue likely has to do with streaming services still being more nascent than we probably realize, and if G5 came out a few years later, maybe we would have gotten a more coherent product, but here we are.

Exactly my problem, everything feels like it's being rushed and not fully fleshed out. 

I'm not particularly worried. I mean, it's still early days when it comes to G5 and I can't help but think people are just expecting a little too much from this. I'm not accusing anyone of expecting perfection, but remember that season 1 of G4 was anything but great. Yeah, there were some standout episodes, but they were surrounded by plenty of mediocre and bad eps as well.

Between a G5 movie that was VERY good and a YouTube series that is surprising me with every ep thus far I'm actually fairly hyped atm! Can't wait for the 3D series and comics!

• Brohoof 1

10 hours ago, Kujamih said:

Welp no need to worry since our greatest fear has come true. Ayt everyone time to burn the franchise!

We were right the phone in Equestria was a bad idea. At first the movie didn't show much about it and our fear of pip being the generic cellphone user wasn't apparent yet.

But the latest episode has solidified that part and what's worst is there are creatures from pony life present in gen 5....AAAAAAA!!!!:derp:

You are absolutely right. I kind of like Tell Your Tale but I really buried my face into my hands when I saw that. The only reason I took it personally was because I was wondering "is Pipp going to be this way forever? Is there any more complexity to her than this?"

• Brohoof 1

11 hours ago, Kyoshi said:

While I haven't seen anything from G5 quite yet, (I want to buy the movie on Microsoft for example), my main worry is the reliance on nostalgia for easy points. With G4 being the phenomena that is was, I can understand wanting to tap into that wealth of memories but nostalgia these days makes me sad more than anything. Plus it is mostly cheap. I'd rather create new memories than constantly be reminded of old ones. Sure this is a worry that is likely not warranted but still. I'm still out of the loop on most G5 stuff so for me it is wait and see. 

To me personally, I was hoping the references to G4 would be the same as Celestia and Luna's own backstory. We would know enough about G4 to catch us up to where G5 is, maybe piece together all the ways it effects to ponies today, and then G5 would just move on and become it's own thing.

I tend not to worry about future episodes of TV shows or future movies, because it's pointless to worry over something that hasn't been released yet. Like, changes are still possible and nothing is set in stone yet, and even if x has been confirmed or y is going to happen, there is often a context that it is a part of and to judge it without it's proper context often leads to an incorrect view of it.

• Brohoof 1

6 hours ago, Stancet said:

You are absolutely right. I kind of like Tell Your Tale but I really buried my face into my hands when I saw that. The only reason I took it personally was because I was wondering "is Pipp going to be this way forever? Is there any more complexity to her than this?"

Yeah...as a fairly large fan of Rarity, it intrigues me that I have yet to develop the same fondness for Pipp, and...cringe that could be weaponized isn't the way to change my mind.  I still think she and Zipp are my favourite characters in TYT, but that's not because I think they're particularly deep or anything.  They just happen to be the characters TYT has focused the most on so far.  In fact, I felt the opposite about them in the film.  At least Pipp previously got a better episode...though MYM can't come soon enough, as that's going to be G5's chance to actually develop all of this cast into characters worth our time.  

On 2022-04-28 at 6:34 AM, TomDaBombMLP said:

FiM had me engaged within the first five minutes. G5 has a whole movie and that still hasn’t happened. I know nothing’s perfect and I will acknowledge FiM’s flaws but it’s pretty darn close to perfect for me. :kindness:

No it didn't you were a brony hater before remember hahaha.

On 2022-04-27 at 4:29 PM, SergioFernandez said:

Don't worry about the things you can't change, G4 made a lot of mistakes too (alicorn Twi, every EQG movie except the second one, plot holes, etc.) And even after that the fandom is still here, not like in 2011-2015, but many of us still love the show. In the worst case, G5 fails, and we go back to G4 to continue expanding it with fan arts, music, fanfics, etc. At best, G5 is a success, and we enjoy creating new pieces based on it, enriching the lore of MLP.

We, sir will disagree.  I loved all of EQG.  I love Alicorn Twi as well.  We can agree on plot holes.

• Brohoof 1

G5 has made the mistake in appealing to a more modern crowd while ignoring the roots of the idea itself. Just making things be based off the current trends and general zeitgeist is surely going to create a mistake in the end. What it could have done instead is do a completely new universe with a different setting, and be more bold with what it seeks to do rather than catering to current trends. I feel as if G5 is extremely lacking. Yes, I say I enjoy it - but when looking at it conceptually, it is extremely lacking in all categories. 

• Brohoof 5

I'm a bit worried that being on Netflix may cause Make Your Mark(s?)  to fail and that they will cancel the show after its first season. 

Like some others here — I was already worried, once I learned that it does to G4 what The Force Awakens did to Return Of The Jedi.

I also don't want Sombra to return. After S9 ruined him for a lot of fans (including yours truly), a popular saving-grace has been the headcanon of "He was a fake, and the real Sombra's story ended in Siege Of The Crystal Empire"; him returning would rob us of even that.

• Brohoof 2

On 2022-05-04 at 8:51 PM, Starforce said:

G5 has made the mistake in appealing to a more modern crowd while ignoring the roots of the idea itself. Just making things be based off the current trends and general zeitgeist is surely going to create a mistake in the end. What it could have done instead is do a completely new universe with a different setting, and be more bold with what it seeks to do rather than catering to current trends. I feel as if G5 is extremely lacking. Yes, I say I enjoy it - but when looking at it conceptually, it is extremely lacking in all categories. 

I couldn't have said it better.  We traded a gen full of imagination with interesting characters, locations, concepts, races, creatures and just general magic for a series full of memes and references to modern culture, and is sure to become dated before too long.  Heck, is anyone even talking about any of it currently besides the Brony community?  Maybe one day I'll understand why ANG is regarded as "amazing" in spite of it being average at best (and I'm being generous here), but I'm interested in the phenomenon all the same.  My current theory is it's just current and trending, and people are swept up in some kind of hype, but I'll have to conduct more research. 

As for TYT, I maintain that it's fine, if inoffensive, though it can be pretty cringe at times.  It's not my definition of amazing either, though I can go easier on it because I don't think it's trying to be.  I'll still be dropping it before too long if MYM doesn't satisfy me though, as there's little reason to keep going with a series of shorts about underdeveloped characters on the promise of them becoming more interesting if that promise never comes to pass.  I'll give it some time though, as there's clearly still a part of me that wants to like G5.  

• Brohoof 2

5 hours ago, AlbaTross said:

I couldn't have said it better.  We traded a gen full of imagination with interesting characters, locations, concepts, races, creatures and just general magic for a series full of memes and references to modern culture, and is sure to become dated before too long.  Heck, is anyone even talking about any of it currently besides the Brony community?  Maybe one day I'll understand why ANG is regarded as "amazing" in spite of it being average at best (and I'm being generous here), but I'm interested in the phenomenon all the same.  My current theory is it's just current and trending, and people are swept up in some kind of hype, but I'll have to conduct more research. 

As for TYT, I maintain that it's fine, if inoffensive, though it can be pretty cringe at times.  It's not my definition of amazing either, though I can go easier on it because I don't think it's trying to be.  I'll still be dropping it before too long if MYM doesn't satisfy me though, as there's little reason to keep going with a series of shorts about underdeveloped characters on the promise of them becoming more interesting if that promise never comes to pass.  I'll give it some time though, as there's clearly still a part of me that wants to like G5.  

I agree that’s what FIM has going over G5. Still, we barely got introduced to G5 ponies, and while TYT attempts to be hip, it’s not something to have much expectation over. We should wait and see if MYM, either the special, or the actual show coming by October, I think, fills the need for what a show of talking pastel horses should be, different from ours

7 hours ago, Steve Piranha said:

I agree that’s what FIM has going over G5. Still, we barely got introduced to G5 ponies, and while TYT attempts to be hip, it’s not something to have much expectation over. We should wait and see if MYM, either the special, or the actual show coming by October, I think, fills the need for what a show of talking pastel horses should be, different from ours

Yeah, I'm hoping that ends up being the case.  In all likelihood I'll still end up regarding it as my second favourite MLP series, so there's that.  I noped out of Pony Life after two episodes, and that 3D Pinkie and Rainbow Dash spinoff with no dialogue after maybe four episodes.  I'm still following G5, so...I guess it's doing something...satisfactory.  

I'm following G5 right now. However, I'm hoping Hasbro and eOne have a real long-term plan for this current generation because I can see it being really good if they know what they are doing. (Now, exactly what that plan is supposed to look like will vary I'm sure depending on who you ask, but it would be better than having no plan at all).

• Brohoof 1

I mean, FiM's last few seasons were pretty dreadful so there's really nowhere to go but up. My only worry for G5 right now is that it's taken them a while to fill in the gaps, and that the deal with Netflix might not give G5 the satisfactory story the writer might want, especially with the company bleeding subscribers at the moment

Honestly some of the stuff your worried about is kinda trivial, like the cutie marks or the hooves

Real blemish is the comics using Discord, as I felt he was a big contributing factor of the FiM's worst decisions by tying almost every major event or catastrophe back to him

• Brohoof 3

(edited)
21 minutes ago, Megas said:

I mean, FiM's last few seasons were pretty dreadful so there's really nowhere to go but up. My only worry for G5 right now is that it's taken them a while to fill in the gaps, and that the deal with Netflix might not give G5 the satisfactory story the writer might want, especially with the company bleeding subscribers at the moment

Honestly some of the stuff your worried about is kinda trivial, like the cutie marks or the hooves

Real blemish is the comics using Discord, as I felt he was a big contributing factor of the FiM's worst decisions by tying almost every major event or catastrophe back to him

I’m kind of with you there, especially with Discord. I wouldn’t have objected to his eventual reformation but he was both the biggest hinderance and the biggest escape goat.

Edited by Stancet
  • Brohoof 2

On 2022-05-04 at 10:02 PM, Adariousmist said:

We, sir will disagree.  I loved all of EQG.  I love Alicorn Twi as well.  We can agree on plot holes.

That's ok. Let's focus on what we agree, loving mlp.