Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Need help redesigning my OC

Kitty_Cat

10 minutes ago, Kitty_Cat said:

I try to stray away from OCs knowing other characters other than just passing by on the occasion and not knowing it, or just having heard of them. She likely won’t know Celestia personally but likely would have met her as she was coronated to be a guard.

Related. Distant relative, So not created by celestia

(edited)
6 minutes ago, Kujamih said:

Related. Distant relative, So not created by celestia

“Create” in my earlier context is to be birthed. Sorry, that’s on me.

but still, I’m not really for it. I want her to be special, sure, but not extraordinarily special.

Edited by Kitty_Cat
  • Brohoof 1

1 minute ago, Kitty_Cat said:

“Create” in my earlier context is to be birthed. Sorry, that’s on me.

Yup but you wanted to avoid that so a distant relative would be considered NOT birthed by celestia... Like she could be her great great aunt twice removed.:muffins:

She's more of a lesser deity than a pony no matter how one looks at it through the self-bored stone. You should keep the alicorn form if you intend to keep the backstory. Just go all in with the servant of light, and flesh out the whole dimension conflict thing. Where's the big bad?

P.S: have you considered just making a sphinx?

1 minute ago, Kujamih said:

Yup but you wanted to avoid that so a distant relative would be considered NOT birthed by celestia... Like she could be her great great aunt twice removed.:muffins:

That could become ridiculously complex quite easily and the time would be forwarded a couple if not several generations into the future, which would affect every single roleplay I get into which could upset a lot of people. And I don’t like messing with time, so I want to keep things as present day FiM

(edited)
32 minutes ago, Goat-kun said:

She's more of a lesser deity than a pony no matter how one looks at it through the self-bored stone. You should keep the alicorn form if you intend to keep the backstory. Just go all in with the servant of light, and flesh out the whole dimension conflict thing. Where's the big bad?

Not planning to add dimensional crossings to any roleplays that I do, just a part of her backstory.

I don’t really want her to be godlike, as that’s unfair and can upset a lot of people, myself included. I’m trying to find some sort of balance between power and mortality that fits.

About making a sphinx.. I don’t know much about their role in the series, but I’m not super interested anyway tbh.

edit: searched up sphinx, only got the villain. Are you talking about the eagle-esque beings like Gilda?

Edited by Kitty_Cat

1 hour ago, Kitty_Cat said:

Not planning to add dimensional crossings to any roleplays that I do, just a part of her backstory.

I don’t really want her to be godlike, as that’s unfair and can upset a lot of people, myself included. I’m trying to find some sort of balance between power and mortality that fits.

About making a sphinx.. I don’t know much about their role in the series, but I’m not super interested anyway tbh.

edit: searched up sphinx, only got the villain. Are you talking about the eagle-esque beings like Gilda?

And I'm telling you that you should either embrace the madness, or make an RP OC that's completely by the show's Bible as it were. Either choice will make your life much easier.

So if you want your OC to meld into the pony RP crowd make her a unicorn mare next door from Canterlot with an olive branch cutie mark and big dreams about heroism and adventure. Let her learn magic shield, wink teleport, and horn blast and you're all set.

(edited)
13 minutes ago, Goat-kun said:

And I'm telling you that you should either embrace the madness, or make an RP OC that's completely by the show's Bible as it were. Either choice will make your life much easier.

So if you want your OC to meld into the pony RP crowd make her a unicorn mare next door from Canterlot with an olive branch cutie mark and big dreams about heroism and adventure. Let her learn magic shield, wink teleport, and horn blast and you're all set.

There has to be a gray area and not just black and white. There’s a gray area for literally almost everything in existence. With as expansive as the human mind’s imagination is, I think there’s some way this can be well figured out.

I don’t care if it’s easy or hard, I just want it good. Quality is what I’m looking for.

Edited by Kitty_Cat
  • Brohoof 1

I think I conjured something good while I thought about it last night. I’m likely to change her name, though to what I’m not entirely sure. I’ll have to think of that when I remake her actual form.

Thanks for the help, folks.

17 hours ago, Kitty_Cat said:

There has to be a gray area and not just black and white. There’s a gray area for literally almost everything in existence. With as expansive as the human mind’s imagination is, I think there’s some way this can be well figured out.

I don’t care if it’s easy or hard, I just want it good. Quality is what I’m looking for.

Of course there's a grey area, but you can take wings off this alicorn ten times over, she will still be special when she honestly doesn't need to be. The backstory itself inhibits the character. It makes your OC feel extraordinary, but on the other appendage, you are trying to portray her as nothing special. The abilities and insight she has don't require such a confusing and grand backstory. An ordinary pony could potentially acquire her kind of power. The story and the power of your character should deserve each other. Take this as a bit of a joke, but that celestial being should be ashamed for creating such an underwhelming servant. Like, seriously, Grogar's laughing his horns off so bad he's putting Skeletor to shame. Also sea monsters. They're laughing as well. Ol' Kraken over there is roaring "GG EZ!"

So how would you change her backstory to fit the reworked character?

(edited)
39 minutes ago, Goat-kun said:

Of course there's a grey area, but you can take wings off this alicorn ten times over, she will still be special when she honestly doesn't need to be. The backstory itself inhibits the character. It makes your OC feel extraordinary, but on the other appendage, you are trying to portray her as nothing special. The abilities and insight she has don't require such a confusing and grand backstory. An ordinary pony could potentially acquire her kind of power. The story and the power of your character should deserve each other. Take this as a bit of a joke, but that celestial being should be ashamed for creating such an underwhelming servant. Like, seriously, Grogar's laughing his horns off so bad he's putting Skeletor to shame. Also sea monsters. They're laughing as well. Ol' Kraken over there is roaring "GG EZ!"

So how would you change her backstory to fit the reworked character?

I have not fully explained her magic abilities; I’ve only given you the basic name with no explanation of what the extent of her power is. I will have to work on this later once I get the rest of her finished. Being able to summon permanent magic wings at any time she wishes is already pretty dang powerful, given how twilight did a weak-to-sunlight temporary version to rarity with great struggle.

Edited by Kitty_Cat

On 2022-05-03 at 6:16 PM, Kitty_Cat said:

I have not fully explained her magic abilities; I’ve only given you the basic name with no explanation of what the extent of her power is. I will have to work on this later once I get the rest of her finished. Being able to summon permanent magic wings at any time she wishes is already pretty dang powerful, given how twilight did a weak-to-sunlight temporary version to rarity with great struggle.

A scruffy griffin with a bag of rocks can beat that any day of the week on practicality alone. Magic flight is a perk with severe vulnerabilities. It's just that nobody dares to exploit them due to immense butthurt that would ensue.

Anyhow, that's enough nagging from me. I hope you make outstanding progress. Good luck.

1 hour ago, Goat-kun said:

A scruffy griffin with a bag of rocks can beat that any day of the week on practicality alone. Magic flight is a perk with severe vulnerabilities. It's just that nobody dares to exploit them due to immense butthurt that would ensue.

Anyhow, that's enough nagging from me. I hope you make outstanding progress. Good luck.

Eyyyy come on now goat-san. Chill:ButtercupLaugh:

I know this is how you talk but.... it looks like kitty cat is just new here and.... I think she's just a kid?

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
3 hours ago, Kujamih said:

I know this is how you talk but.... it looks like kitty cat is just new here and.... I think she's just a kid?

was just a kid. I was in 5th grade when I first made this OC. I’m 18 now, almost 19 lol.

My writing game isn’t on point so it’s going to cause a whole bunch of confusion and issues. I never have been good at ELA; I’m more of a math person. Still, I’m trying to improve, and that’s why I asked for help.

Edited by Kitty_Cat
  • Brohoof 2

On 2022-05-04 at 9:39 PM, Kujamih said:

This is srs business don't cha know. If they are old enough to understand the alicorn problem, they are old enough for the powerful unicorn problem.