Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Trailer for Make Your Mark.

CastletonSnob

I'm looking forward to it.

Looks like dissent between the ponies is messing up the magic.

Hitch actually talking to the animals.

Yeah I wish they hadn't spoiled the dragon but come on, we would have guessed it from the egg.  It'll be cool but it will probably bring up a million more unanswered questions about the connection to FIM

• Brohoof 2

I've seen the trailer, and overall it looks decent. The animation could be better, but it is fine for what it is. The same thing could also be said about the voice acting. As for the content of the special that this episode, there are aspects I like and dislike. I think the concept of the ponies still trying to get used to having magic is one that makes a lot of sense considering how new it is for the ponies in these three cities. It wouldn't make much sense for everybody to immediately be skilled and used to utilizing pony magic just after getting it back. Where the slight dissapointment comes in, however, is that this seems like it will more or less rehash many of the elements of the movie. While I am interested in the concept of this special, it seems like there could've been more originality put into it. Granted, this is just the trailer, so I can't fully judge the special yet (though I unfortunately spoiled the whole story for myself already).

Now onto some specific details I noticed within the trailer: 

Spoiler

The first thing that stood out to me was that Posy of all ponies was chosen to be against magic. It doesn't seem like she minds magic in TYT, so seeing her so against it here was strange. The dragon in this will likely be this generation's version of spike, which could be either good or bad depending on how the character is utilized. . Thirdly, I wonder what is in store when it comes to this generation's handleing of magic. What is known so far is that Unicorns have their magic and pegasi can fly, but what about the pegasi's ability to walk on clouds and control the weather or the Earth ponies ability to grow food. I noticed that Earth ponies became stuck to the ground in the trailer and that Hitch could understand animals. What if these has something to do with Earth pony magic in this generation as a whole? Or like I previously mentioned, where is the weather magic? Were the storm clouds hinting at pegasi also getting that power back? I hope that this special can further explain and develop the pony magic of G5.

(edited)

"Animated special"? Is this the start of a series or a one off? Will be super bummed out if this isn't the gen 5 show. I already love these characters so I am hoping they are the current future of MLP. I haven't kept up with all the g5 news so I am a tad out of the loop. Can anyone clear this up for me? 

The trailer is pretty good. Obviously the animation isn't quite as good, there's a distinct lack of effects and the colors seems much more flat, but it still looks good for a show, assuming it is a show. The only thing I didn't like is the dragon baby. It looks...incredibly generic and I really am not fond of it at all. Definitely a massive downgrade from Spike visually, but of course I'll wait and see. Overall though, I'm quite happy with the results. :) So glad that there's much more positivity in the fandom again.

Also I don't have Netflix so, I'll be waiting for Youtube uploads or the ability to purchase it from Microsoft. Gimme.

Edited by Kyoshi

(edited)

The plot seems interesting but the animation kinda bothers me, often times it looks a bit stiff and off (some moments look like an improved fan animation). Hopefully I will get used to it, or the animation will slowly improve. I am not sure about the baby dragon, as it can be very similar to spike in FiM (or FH since he is a baby). Anyway, I am looking forward for the release. It was interesting to note that sunny's alicorn status is an on and off thing, it brings many questions and opens some cool new possibilities. Though, her voice in the trailer was off at times.

Edited by Rushing cash
  • Brohoof 2

2 hours ago, Kyoshi said:

Animated special"? Is this the start of a series or a one off?

I think it's the "pilot" to a series of the same name. 

• Brohoof 1

I'm glad Sunny's alicorn powers are more internal like previously assumed, I think the whole concept was smart since it prevents controversy similar to Twilicorn. I liked a lot of what I saw (although I'll miss how fluffy the ponies used to be) but I'm not sure how I feel about "Spike".

• Brohoof 2

3 minutes ago, ExplosionMare said:

but I'm not sure how I feel about "Spike"

I think "New Spike" should be a different shade of green instead of what looks to be turquoise. 

• Brohoof 1

I actually really love it!!! I might be one of the only ones, but hey whatever. I wasn't expecting animation like the movie cause budget stuff, but this is still good!! (Even tho I kinda like TYT a tad bit more tbh)

I'm sure the animation will improve just like G4's did!

I'm looking forward to new adventures with these new ponies! (and lots of Pipp episodes ;) )

• Brohoof 1

Most people have been more critical about the 3D look of the trailer, and it makes sense. Compared to A New Generation, the trailer doesn't fully embrace the animation principals like timing and squash and stretch.

I think I'm more benevolent than most people because, as someone who studied 3D production and experimented with 3D models, this is insanely hard to make. You have to make 3D models, face "masks" for the facial expressions, a rig (which is the "skeleton" of the 3D model, and a VERY time-consuming part of the 3D work) and textures, and you have to work on this on a consistenly high level. On top of that, you have to render all this in a highly volatile 3D tool that could crash your PC anytime. And rendering is a slow process, even if you want to render it at 1080p in the 16:9 aspect ratio.

And keep in mind most of this stuff was a work in process in the middle of a devastating unprecedented pandemic. Not to mention the fact that many animation studios have to deal with the crunch culture. That's why I'm benevolent with the trailer. That doesn't mean people have to agree with me or making them feel guilt because of their opinion. It's just that I want animators and artists to be ok.

Just my 2 cents.

38 minutes ago, Ring Team said:

Most people have been more critical about the 3D look of the trailer, and it makes sense. Compared to A New Generation, the trailer doesn't fully embrace the animation principals like timing and squash and stretch.

I think I'm more benevolent than most people because, as someone who studied 3D production and experimented with 3D models, this is insanely hard to make. You have to make 3D models, face "masks" for the facial expressions, a rig (which is the "skeleton" of the 3D model, and a VERY time-consuming part of the 3D work) and textures, and you have to work on this on a consistenly high level. On top of that, you have to render all this in a highly volatile 3D tool that could crash your PC anytime. And rendering is a slow process, even if you want to render it at 1080p in the 16:9 aspect ratio.

And keep in mind most of this stuff was a work in process in the middle of a devastating unprecedented pandemic. Not to mention the fact that many animation studios have to deal with the crunch culture. That's why I'm benevolent with the trailer. That doesn't mean people have to agree with me or making them feel guilt because of their opinion. It's just that I want animators and artists to be ok.

Just my 2 cents.

There's also the amount of computers needed for easing the rendering process. To explain in slightly more detail why the "It's on a budget." excuse is valid, the reason it's not going to look "Pixar-esque" like the movie is because unlike Pixar, they don't have the money for one of the largest supercomputers in the world, described as essentially 2,000 computers in one. The render engine also plays a part in desaturation, thus why some of the "lighting" is off. 

• Brohoof 2

10 hours ago, CloudMistDragon said:

There's also the amount of computers needed for easing the rendering process. To explain in slightly more detail why the "It's on a budget." excuse is valid, the reason it's not going to look "Pixar-esque" like the movie is because unlike Pixar, they don't have the money for one of the largest supercomputers in the world, described as essentially 2,000 computers in one. The render engine also plays a part in desaturation, thus why some of the "lighting" is off. 

Yeah, basically that. The 3D animation looks good enough, but I agree that some of the shots don't have a good main light (I don't know if it was done for dramatic purposes, like a tense scene where a desaturated color would fit better).

But it could have been worse, like a lot worse.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
Spoiler
Spoiler

I think the reason the Earth Ponies did not get magic until months after the unicorns and Pegasi did is not only the ingrained belief shared by all pony races that Earth ponies did not have magic themselves which is illustrated by this scene.

Spoiler

But also because of the lesson about jealousy, awareness and humility that needed to be learned.

Spoiler

It would be like how the CMC earned their cutie marks only after finally learning to not make getting their own cutie marks such a big deal, and learning what their true purpose is.

Spoiler

I don't like how Izzy's hair in Tell Your Tale doesn't look as good as it does in 3D, and I don't like how Posey's hair in 3D doesn't look as good as it does in Tell Your Tale.

It seems like the 2D and 3D animation processes aren't coordinating, and that isn't that much of a suprise to me.

What do you think?

:coco:

Edited by Rosy Moonlight

On 2022-05-12 at 10:42 AM, Splashee said:

Pipp Pipp Hooray everypony! :pinkie:

We have a new Fluttershy. What else? Magic is disappearing again? The colors look a little flat compared to the movie. Some animation look cheap, like eye tracking stuff. I'm going to watch the first episode with hope it will be as good as FIM! :catface: Don't disappoint me Netflix!

Yeah my focus is going to be more on Hitch and I think him learning that he can talk to animals had potential for some comedy early on

I like that Sunny still has wings and a horn but not permanently like Twilight. Sunny's magic seems to work like Equestria Girls Friendship Games magic where they power up when in harmony etc. I have seen a lot of complaints about the animation. The colors look different and the ponies look less fuzzy but it really doesn't bother me. I have seen worse 3D animation. The new voice cast sounds similar enough to the movie that the voice acting sounds fine to me too. 

• Brohoof 1