Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The Friendship Triangle in Friendship is Magic

dead account

I think they handled the mane 6 in FiM very interestingly. If you think about it, all 6 of them can be equally turned into 3 different groups.

< Fluttershy & Pinkie Pie: Kind, caring and loving.
= Applejack & Twilight Sparkle: Neutral.
> Rarity & Rainbow Dash: Self-loving and superficial.

The neutral group is in the middle, while the other two groups are exact opposites. Fluttershy and Pinkie care about others. Pinkie wants to make them all laugh or smile, while Fluttershy uses her kindness to make everyone feel good. They would even hide their own worries for the sake of everyone else.

While Fluttershy's and Pinkie's feelings come from the inside and reach others, it's the opposite for Rarity and Rainbow Dash. Both enjoy it to get praised, to be in the spotlight, it makes them feel good. Both enjoy to be either beautiful or cool. They focus on themselves.

Applejack and Twilight are right in the middle. Twilight, for example, is super passionate about her books and knowledge, she can perfectly enjoy it on her own. But when needed, she always gladly shares her knowledge and helps others.

That doesn't mean that one group is better than the other. The ponies enjoy it to see Rainbow's skills and her show and Rarity's beauty and her dresses. And the same way are Fluttershy and Pinkie happy, when they make others happy. In the end, everypony is happy, just the approaches are different.

What makes it even better is when we consider their pony races as well. Applejack as an earth pony has no additional horn or wings - the very definition of neutral. Twilight Sparkle as an alicorn has both after all, which also makes her neutral.

Fluttershy and Pinkie are the "odd" ones who don't really fit in to the most common traits of their own races.

And then again, as the opposites they are, Rarity and Rainbow Dash both fit in very much into their own pony race respectively.

Together, they make a perfectly balanced triangle.

Of course, there is a lot more to the characters, they aren't that simple. In the end, they are all awesome, nice and lovable. <3 But I hope you get the idea and I thought it would make for an interesting topic to think and talk about. :) There is definitely so much more to it, but I don't want to make the first post too long, haha.

• Brohoof 3

Good friends can balance each other out. :eager: I like how AJ and Twilight are seen as the middle ground but I would go with logical/practical instead of neutral. Neutral is saying they don't have a particular strategy but both ponies tend to rely a lot on fact and heavy research to solve issues.

Triangles are the easiest shape (I think).

For FIM, I think they did rotate the Mane 6's friendship a lot, making each one have a moment with another of their friend.

• Brohoof 1