Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why does Hasbro always have MLP produced in Canada?

CastletonSnob

1 hour ago, CastletonSnob said:

Why does Hasbro always have MLP shows produced in Canada? Why not have it produced in the US, so we can have veteran VAs like Tom Kenny or Rob Paulsen in MLP?

Just because the fanbase is primarily American doesn't mean all the shows we watch should come from America

It's most likely easier for them financially to have the cartoons produced there, but more importantly, why does anyone care so long as the quality of the content is good? Canada makes some bad cartoons, like all countries, but they also make some good cartoons. And regarding VAs, the voices that the Canadian VAs provided to some of our favorite characters are considered iconic parts of those characters by many. 

Moments ago, Denim&Venöm said:

Because Los Angeles is a financial black hole and Vancouver isn't? 

Apparently Transformers Prime/RID 2015(and really the Aligned continuity as a whole) were so expensive to produce that it was big enough of a reason for them to go with non-union VAs going forward with Cyberverse and the WFC trilogy. If that puts it into perspective. Seems like now Hasbro will only use big VAs if the budget warrants it(like a movie)

• Brohoof 1

1 minute ago, Kyoshi said:

I don't think the series being produced in Canada affects what voice actors they can get.

Then why do almost all Hasbro shows feature at least one MLP etc. actor at some point in their run? 

• Brohoof 1

1 minute ago, Sparklefan1234 said:

Then why do almost all Hasbro shows feature at least one MLP etc. actor at some point in their run? 

Could be quicker to get them but I'm sure they can get anyone regardless of location. 

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
6 minutes ago, Kyoshi said:

Could be quicker to get them but I'm sure they can get anyone regardless of location. 

I could be wrong but I think Tara Strong was only in FiM because Lauren Faust wanted her to be on the show and almost everyone else lived in Canada.

Edited by Sparklefan1234
  • Brohoof 2

12 hours ago, Sparklefan1234 said:

I could be wrong but I think Tara Strong was only in FiM because Lauren Faust wanted her to be on the show and almost everyone else lived in Canada.

Eh, way I see it, if that gives lesser known Canadian voice actors a bigger spotlight then that's a lot better anyways. Way better than a bunch of over-priveleged murican celebrities. 

• Brohoof 1

The shows are generally produced in the U.S. though there are some exceptions from time to time. They use Canadian voice actors primarily because it's cheaper to go with them as some have said plus it does give them a chance to make names for themselves. Also, non-union voice talent are used if need be which also lowers the overall cost. Ocean Studios before FiM were known for dubbing anime and making original content though most of their voice cast aside from a few were seen as unknowns. Thanks to FiM, they're now household names and so many doors have been opened for them.

• Brohoof 1

I understand Hasbro’s main headquarters is located in Canada, thus cheaper and quicker to go local :huh:

20 hours ago, Ganondorf8 said:

The shows are generally produced in the U.S. though there are some exceptions from time to time. They use Canadian voice actors primarily because it's cheaper to go with them as some have said plus it does give them a chance to make names for themselves. Also, non-union voice talent are used if need be which also lowers the overall cost. Ocean Studios before FiM were known for dubbing anime and making original content though most of their voice cast aside from a few were seen as unknowns. Thanks to FiM, they're now household names and so many doors have been opened for them.

A nice change of peace since Canadian VA were practically out of work mid to late 2000s :scoots:. I don’t think Canadian VA were as well known even before that, but they had a rather decent amount of work before the later timeframe. I’m surprised some old VAs like Kelly Sheridan are still around :scoots:

I blame pastel horses and multicolored brick ninjas for bringing CA talent back on radar :mlp_icwudt:, and also a Canadian law encouraging to air Canadian made shows and they being dubbed by Canadian VAs :mlp_yeehaa:. No way I’m hell I was expecting to hear those guys in a Nintendo game :dash:. Seriously, Americans hoarded all the dubbing industry since forever :scoots:

• Brohoof 2

1 minute ago, ExplosionMare said:

You mean Pony Life? :ooh:

Well yes, Horse Life is Canadian, but what he meant is the Ponyverse server, where this very forum is part of is Canadian 

• Brohoof 1

Moments ago, Steve Piranha said:

Well yes, Horse Life is Canadian, but what he meant is the Ponyverse server, where this very forum is part of is Canadian 

I think the Pony Life avatar threw me off there :ButtercupLaugh: Didn't know the server was Canadian as well, though. That's cool.

• Brohoof 1

5 hours ago, Steve Piranha said:

A nice change of peace since Canadian VA were practically out of work mid to late 2000s :scoots:. I don’t think Canadian VA were as well known even before that, but they had a rather decent amount of work before the later timeframe. I’m surprised some old VAs like Kelly Sheridan are still around :scoots:

I blame pastel horses and multicolored brick ninjas for bringing CA talent back on radar :mlp_icwudt:, and also a Canadian law encouraging to air Canadian made shows and they being dubbed by Canadian VAs :mlp_yeehaa:. No way I’m hell I was expecting to hear those guys in a Nintendo game :dash:. Seriously, Americans hoarded all the dubbing industry since forever :scoots:

A few were well known, such as Scott McNeil (He voiced on FiM as well) for example (And arguably the best known example), but the majority were never given true recognition. I've been looking back at the anime and original content Ocean Studios worked on and have a better understanding and appreciation of what they did. You could say that FiM gave them a new lease on life.

The credits of Make Your Mark tells us why:

The Canadian Film or Video Production Tax Credit
"Funded by the Government of Canada"

• Brohoof 2