Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

G5 so far

CastletonSnob

It started strong with the film, but lacks world building overall. Can’t say much about Tell your Tale because they are intended to be filler, and the first Make your Mark special felt slow and a little lackluster until the end. Props for the… 

Spoiler

Evil alicorn. Showing G5 will go somewhere at last 

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Movie started off strong but the TYT show and the recent MYM shows have been pretty mid. Nothing amazing and at this rate I could see myself dropping it out of boredom, but G4's done significantly worse, so far nothing for me to worry about yet

Edited by Megas
  • Brohoof 1

I prefer the slice of life nature of "Tell Your Tale" to what I guess will be the more serious "Make Your Mark".

I'm glad we have a choice because I always enjoyed the slice of life stories in Friendship is Magic over the "EPIC" season premiers and finales.

I can imagine that the upper-ups were like "Why not make G5 Make Your Mark 3D? We know it's unlikely will be able to measure up to G4, and the people will have something new to chat about anyway."

• Brohoof 1

I feel like G5 will improve as it goes on, like how FiM did(it really improved from the first 3 seasons imo). I honestly DO like it so far, but would love some improvement.

I just like TYT a bit more than MYM. Just my own opinion and preference though.

• Brohoof 2

I really love the town ponies in Maretime Bay, not just Earth ponies, but even the animals. It is a good setting to be in and G5 has a lot of potential when it comes to having such a great main place to be at.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

I found MLP:ANG too anvilicious, like if they were going to be isolated from the other pony races for centuries, wouldn't it make sense that they would not want to see illustrations of them that much?

Edited by Rosy Moonlight
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

Last night I watched MYM Ch. 1, and it was... acceptable. The animation was stiffer than the movie, the climax was like a callback to Friendship Games, but on the whole, while it was a good start, I'm just not sure if I'll be watching it the rest of the way. 

Edited by Sasoriman

(edited)

I enjoyed the movie, but MYM... I don't really think I cared for it, and the animation kept throwing me off

I really want to like it though.. so I'm hoping it grows on me :coco:

Edited by Mallow Gloom

Wow, judging by most of the comments it sounds like I was just ahead of the curve on my criticism of G5.  Yeah...two pilots in and I still don't know what this show is about.  FiM only needed one pilot to set up its premise for Season 1.  I suppose we can expect mostly slice of life stuff with the occasional bit of plot, which on paper doesn't sound too far off of FiM...but, how do I put it...this series feels way more disjointed, and FiM had structure and a flow to it that helped it feel like there was rhyme and reason to it all.  Here...I really don't know where this thing is going.  Sometimes that can be fun, especially in a thriller type of show.  However...again, there's a flow to those kinds of storylines.  I don't know...for me this feels too much like an attempt to cash in on FiM while completely missing the mark on what made FiM so engaging.  With that said...there's still enough going on with it to keep me watching for now.  That could change at any time though.  

On 2022-05-27 at 6:31 PM, CastletonSnob said:

FiM was a great show, but let's not pretend it was some 10/10 masterpiece or the best cartoon ever.

Whoa, do you feel brave enough to take that by the FiM discussion boards? :laugh:  Of course, I'm of the opinion that there's no such thing as a perfect show, but I'll give 10s out to ones that resonate with me on a deeper level than most, and I can confidently say that few shows have became the obsession that that series was for me.  The spell it had over me has lifted considerably since it ended, but credit where it is due.  I'll take an imperfect series that hits all the right marks to ignite a fandom like this one.  Call it subjective if you would like, but from where I'm standing, G5 has a real uphill battle if it wishes to capture even a fraction of the magic of that series.  

On 2022-05-28 at 3:49 AM, Rosy Moonlight said:

For me, G5 seriously feel like a mediocre fanfiction series.

Harsh words.  I wish I could say I didn't see where you're coming from.  TFW I come to revelation that I'm not the biggest critic of this series.  

12 hours ago, AlbaTross said:

Wow, judging by most of the comments it sounds like I was just ahead of the curve on my criticism of G5.  Yeah...two pilots in and I still don't know what this show is about. 

I completely agree. It’s been a while since ANG came, and we still hardly know anything about G5’s Equestria. Shorts and the last special remained stagnant with the world building, which is null. Nothing else besides what little ANG showed. Thank goodness MyM implies that will change, and G5 will finally go somewhere 

So far Im really happy with it. I love the songs and two characters have grown on me already. 
So I have high hopes. 

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I wish that the Shadowly Alicorn will be a "cold ham" character with moments of self-aware humor.

Hopefully, the writers will have enough power to make her like that.

Edited by Rosy Moonlight
  • Brohoof 1

So I have to wait until fall to say if I like G5? (Because MyM was just a special/pilot/one episode)

Then, after having to postpone my feeling for G5 for multiple months, over and over, it is starting to look like I would somehow change my mind at some point, and hopefully that is the case. But how many times should I have to wait in between releases of "G5"?

• Brohoof 4

• 2 weeks later...

The movie was good enough to leave me moderately optimistic towards G5 as a whole.

The "Make Your Mark" special felt like it was more concerned with setting the stage for the show proper than telling its own story, but it was still decent.

"Tell Your Tale" feels like a modest step up from "Pony Life" - not terribly impressive, but still entertaining.

So based on what I've seen, I'd say the rest of G5 has a sporting chance of turning out well.

• Brohoof 2

Like everyone's likely already guessed, I haven't turned on G5. Tell Your Tale's a good guilty pleasure on its worst day and Make Your Mark's pilot was just a pilot that had normal TV show pilot issues with animation and pacing. If G5 were to hypothetically give me something I feel is legit garbage (other than Izzy's cool song about trash), that's when I would provide a constructive take on why I feel that way. However, I have never been super critical of My Little Pony because I have always been conscious of the fact that it's My Little Pony. I'm not falling for the nostalgia trap, I know that the brony fandom has always been this way. They don't like anything when it first comes out with rare exception, they're notoriously fickle. If you think that Friendship is Magic was great from start to finish in their eyes.....

No, I don't even want to go there. Let's just stick to the easy, recent examples. Everyone thought that the G5 movie was going to suck before it came out and most loved it. Then everyone thought that Tell Your Tale was going to suck when we saw the animation and all it took for us to start being optimistic about it was a 30-second clip. Then people started putting down the comics because of Discord's return. All it took was some evidence that they're actually going to do something awesome with the idea to change people's minds. I always sat on the fence because after following what this fandom has done for over a decade, I know I need to see definitively what the creative crew is trying to do before I judge it. 

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

G5 is alright. I haven't caught up to date on it and I don't find myself wanting to go out of my way to get interested in it, but when I do, not much is wrong with it. I just wish that instead of a filler series they really went out and did something involving adventure and character building, catered towards an adult audience. For that? I'd go out of my way to get into. G5 simply exists, I am only passively engaged with it, from time to time. Perhaps I am too harsh on G5, but I'd say that in some cases that harshness is deserved. 

Edited by -Solstice-

Been pretty good so far. I like that it has more realistic characters. I hope they don't delve too much into the "what happened to G4?" Stuff. Let G5 be its own show.

• Brohoof 2

• The title was changed to G5 so far

A lot of people say that the G5 should go its own and only way. They don't seem to understand why some persons have any expectations about previous generation. As a big lover of FiM, I don't want to judge it blindly... however, I think that the number of things (like posters, Sunny's ribbons, even painting in episode "Foal me once" seems to show RD) tells us that this universe has any deal with the G4 so. :ButtercupLaugh: Maybe these are just kind of easter eggs for us or maybe something more... but this can't be doubted. G4 is present in the current generation. The only question is for what? We will find out. So I have some hopes too but nvm, this place isn't about it... I just want to mention that it's justified.

I watched a couple of episodes from TYT and it's pretty cool. They are very short but I start to like more and more the new characters. Especially Zipp and Izzy. I knew these two will be my favorites since watched the movie. But the movie was boring and too fast for me. I stopped following MLP because of this :dry:. And that was too short time to like them more then. But the episodes are working on it and every subtle detail allows me to feel the old magic in a slightly different version. Sometimes TYT is even funny, but I miss this mystery from FiM. Far lands, kingdoms, dragons, creatures... that was "mythological"? and wide. But here? The only danger I see is the inter-race fights, each time ending up losing the magic and fixing it. The world is boring. At the beginning of the G4, we had Canterlot, Cloudsdale, Everfree... Maybe it will grow.  I don't know.
It's still early...  and Pipp irritates me a lot. (Maybe it's because I don't like influancers?)

But not bad. From technical matters, I would prefer everything to stay in 2D. I fall in love with 3D from movie but when I saw MYM...  I don't want to comment this. :adorkable: The expression is still epic, the work of shadows and lights is worse and the dynamic (like falling, flying...) is very VERY lame to me. I have seen smoother 3D animation made by one person from fandom here.

btw.  maybe it will be about G5 or not - but recently I found a cool Rainbow Dash concept based on TYT and I want to share it to somepony. She is soo phenooomenaaal :wub: but going back  to G5. I finally want to get longer episodes. Still not enough things to judge it

rdtyt.png