Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

G5 so far

CastletonSnob

On 2022-08-19 at 12:19 AM, Sun Dash Note said:

I admit it, I really want to hate G5, but I have never seen it. I'm currently focusing on re-watching FIM. (And later movies and stuff). I then want to watch the G5 stuff (and maybe Pony Life, just for curiosity, although I'm skeptical) and see if it's worth.

This may be really unpopular, but I think FIM should have continued with more seasons till today and beyond. G5 should have never happened or at least should have been it's own thing. (It's silly watching 3D cartoon with different ideas that is a continuation of 2D cartoon). But maybe I'm just overly critical and "overnostalgic" for the glory days of the Fandom (I regret not being appart of it during that times, although I really liked the show as a kid).

Maybe something beyond will happen that will bring a fandom renesaince (and even a next gen Bronies), but we don't see it really click right now.

Let's look forward what Hasbro does with G5 on 19. September and see where it goes from there.

I'm optimistic (maybe overly optimistic) that better days for the fandom are ahead. :bedeyes:

I think G4 seasons 10 and later could of been good if done right.

Edited by Sun Dash Note

Thus far I just find it boring. The film left me unimpressed and disappointed. The pilot special is frankly even worse. It all comes down to one problem. The characters. They are not interesting. They are rather dull and not distinct from one another. G5 seems to harken back to G1 of all things. Instead of taking what was established in G4, Hasbro seems to have learned nothing from the last decade. It harkens back to G1 in so far as it reminds me of 80s animation. In the 80s cartoons were just 20 minute advertisements and were primarily plot based. Can any of you reading remember the distinct personality traits of Optimus Prime and Ultra Magnus? I thought not. The only show I can think of with distinct characters in the 80s is TMNT. Character didn't matter back then. In the 90s however the animation industry went through a revolution which changed the industry for the better. Characters were made distinct and entertainment came first. FIM understood this fact because Faust was a part of said revolution. The people who make this programme seem to be stuck in that 80s mindset. In fact the film itself follows the MCU formula of being more like a theme park ride than an actual story. There are multiple scenes and bits of dialogue in the special with really nothing to it other than to be meme material or just to entertain regardless of bearing on the plot. 

15 hours ago, Arylett Charnoa said:

I fell out of the fandom so many years ago, due to having been very burnt by ponies all the way back in FiM's fifth season. Without the insane hype of the pony fandom these days, I actually found myself enjoying the series far more when I caught up to the ending. [And also because I believe the quality of it kept rising in the later seasons.]

Thus, I'm no super fan, and have never been. Always have thought FiM was a fairly decent kids' show with my favorite Western cartoon art style and intriguing world building. I only watched one special/movie of this Gen and whilst it was entertaining, I don't find myself interested in watching any more. There are two reasons for this:

• I can't stand the current art style of this series... both 3D AND 2D. FiM had a unique aesthetic that I've never seen in any other cartoon, one that focused on clean simplicity and beauty, rather than the usual style that most Western animation seems to adapt. Now, it looks generic and blends it with the crowd. The 3D ponies give me a serious case of uncanny valley, proving to me that ponies just don't translate well into it. As for the 2D, it looks like Bean Mouth Modern Style, which I dislike looking at.

• Then there's the world-building, as many have stated. Whilst I haven't watched all the specials, I have a general sense of what happens. It isn't very expansive yet, and that would be fine... save for the fact that they set this after G4. It doesn't even feel like the same world in the slightest and I will not buy that it is. I dislike it when series do this. I understand that a lot happens in thousands of years, but without any proper set up to explain what exactly occurred to cancel out the positives of Twilight's reign, it falls flat. At the moment, it really is just an excuse to cash in on FiM's popularity. It can never stand on its own now and will forever be compared, in its shadow, because of this poor execution. As I've seen others express, it really should've been its own thing entirely.

I believe that FiM was lightning-in-a-bottle, a series of circumstances that can never be replicated, and that this series would've never reached that level of popularity once the novelty of grown men watching little girls' cartoons wore off. But it could've at least carved out its own niche. Now, they guarantee it cannot.

Don't really have much optimism for it to improve either. Whilst they gave the creatives of G4 enough freedom to write intriguing lore for the series, Hasbro being a toy company who only cares about selling them still sometimes interfered with the quality of FiM. Now that we've started fresh with new creatives that haven't really established themselves, Hasbro can exert more control, which is obvious just from this bone-headed decision they've made. The brony fandom was a nice diversion for them, and they've made a bare minimum attempt to pander to it by connecting this to G4. But bronies' shrinking numbers over the years means that they probably aren't going to make attempts to explain the lore because they aren't willing to put in the effort beyond that.

Of course, I could be proven wrong. They may allow the writers to experiment more as with the risk they took with G4. If I hear of any interesting developments on this front, maybe I'll actually commit to it in spite of the fact that I find its art styles to be highly displeasing. For now though, I prefer to think that G4's ended with the final episode of Season 9, and that this is just some bizarro vision of the future that Discord created to remind Twilight and her friends of the consequences of not doing their part.

I very much resonate with the point about the visuals. In fact it's been shown that the more processed an image is the less a person cares about it. G4 understood simplicity and used it to its' advantage. Not only that but it was much more visually interesting in general. Ponyville and Canterlot give you a lot to look at whereas Maretime Bay does not. Maretime Bay is colourless and too spread out. 

So far it's not looking good. I'll see what the series does but I don't have high expectations. 

• 1 month later...

Generally not impressed so far.

So far I've seen the movie and a little of TYT and MYM. I thought the movie was OK, not spectacular or anything, but better than I was expecting. As for both series, so far I'm not really digging either of them.

I don't like the animation of TYT, Also, from what I've seen so far there is WAY too many scenes of stuff falling all over/piling up. I don't know what's up with that. :mlp_confused:

From what I've seen of MYM, I haven't been impressed so far either.

I think part of it is the characters. I find them just kinda "meh." Izzy is my favorite out of them, but in the series her voice actress, she can sometimes sound kinda creepy randomly.

Overall, to me the new cast just seems more childish in how they act.

The Mane 6 of G4 to me seemed to range from late teens to mid 20's. Very similar to my impression of the Scooby Doo cast (I'm talking the original series- In stuff like Zombie Island they're like mid 20's to 30's).

102253282_Scoobydoo.jpg.c376fb2ace7ec3f1fc0b27848e4bcbad.jpg1381311559_Mane_Sixgroup.thumb.webp.78f79b0f5326f183b492526d4faca765.webp

The mane 6 being post high school, and of working age, was something I noticed after the first couple episodes and made me think the show could be interesting- and it was. This actually was probably the biggest thing in why I stayed watching. I was 25 when I first found out about G4 MLP. If they were in High School (EQG:smolder: ) or CMC age, I wouldn't have been interested. I was also surprised by how well the animation was done with Flash- which is something I've used in school for such, and really liked working with. I don't really care for how the G5 ponies look in the CGI or the new animation style, so that takes points away too.

In general though, I think both series are better than Pony Life, The only good I saw out of that is that most of the cast still got to be working together on "something"

Edited by Cirrus.
  • Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...

It seems that so far, most people are enjoying this new generation even if they prefer FiM

https://www.equestriadaily.com/2022/11/poll-results-is-mlp-g5-living-up-to.html#more

1.JPG

The amount of people "wishing we had more G4" does make me sigh a bit at how there's still a decent chunk of fans who would have wanted FiM to potentially become the next Spongebob/Simpsons, but I'm happy more people agree with me that this generation is on par with G4 and I'm content with most people viewing this series as the MLP franchise's silver medal. 

• Brohoof 2

I am content with G5 a lot more than I used to be. Earlier on in the year I made the mistake of judging G5 too much, and now that it's had some time to settle in my mind, I'm good with it. There are a lot of things I'll simply never like with it, but there is a lot of good as well to look forward to. G5 should have just been it's own universe, that is my major complaint with it. 

• Brohoof 1

One of my biggest gripes with g5 so far is the music, really. It's especially evident with the spotify playlists they recently made for each of the main  characters. All of the playlists are pop and there's no variety at all. G5 in general could really do with some more variety. 

• Brohoof 1

On 2022-11-09 at 3:47 AM, CloudMistDragon said:

It seems that so far, most people are enjoying this new generation even if they prefer FiM

https://www.equestriadaily.com/2022/11/poll-results-is-mlp-g5-living-up-to.html#more

1.JPG

The amount of people "wishing we had more G4" does make me sigh a bit at how there's still a decent chunk of fans who would have wanted FiM to potentially become the next Spongebob/Simpsons, but I'm happy more people agree with me that this generation is on par with G4 and I'm content with most people viewing this series as the MLP franchise's silver medal. 

Last few seasons of FiM always told me the show went on at least 3 seasons too long. I may have problems with G5 but so far I still prefer it over the last few seasons

Edited by Megas
  • Brohoof 3

On 2022-11-09 at 6:47 AM, CloudMistDragon said:

1.JPG

I’m not denying there’s more they could add to FIM, but it was clear the writers in later seasons lacked ambition. Hell, Pony Life was more creative :lostit:

Anyway, G5 may be overall inferior to the start of FIM, May be it’s subjective or otherwise, but that’s no impediment to enjoy it, now highlight it’s merits. It may be a continuation of FIM, but it undeniably hold well on it’s own

• Brohoof 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 2022-11-16 at 3:13 PM, Kujamih said:

There's a new toy gonna come out soon... A flying car for the ponies... Hahahaha what would Hasbro think of next.... 

Spaceship, maybe :fluttershy:? That’s pretty much where ‘em horses haven’t gotten to yet :oh_golly: