Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Should Applejack and Rainbow Dash switch elements?

bubbleteapony

In the beginning of the series, Applejack refers to herself as the "most loyalest, dependable of ponies," and most of her character is based around her loyalty to her family and how important they are to her. AJ even gets her cutie mark by deciding to stay with her family.

Conversely, Rainbow Dash has shown in multiple instances that she'd rather do her own thing than hang out, and will duck out of an unwanted responsibility, even if it's to help a friend. In one of the episodes, she literally trades away Fluttershy for a book. She also will not sugarcoat things and will tell you like it is, and while she definitely exaggerates, I wouldn't count that as lying or being dishonest.

With all this, I personally feel like Applejack would be best as the element of Loyalty, and Rainbow Dash would be best suited for Honesty :) What are your thoughts?

• Brohoof 3

Short answer: No.

Long answer: No, because applejack was never that loyal to her friends tbh. She ran away from the mane six In The Last Roundup and was prepared to leave them behind until she had enough bits to go back to ponyville. Her participation in TMMDW was also highly disloyal.

44 minutes ago, bubbleteapony said:

Conversely, Rainbow Dash has shown in multiple instances that she'd rather do her own thing than hang out, and will duck out of an unwanted responsibility, even if it's to help a friend.

Despite her going to Fluttershy's butterfly migration in Dragon Quest? Despite her going with Rarity and Twilight to keep an eye on Spike in Dragon Quest? Despite her sticking up for Fluttershy in Sonic Rainboom? Despite her saving Rarity in the competition (when she didn't need to and Rarity entered the competition against her)? Despite her giving up her chance to be a wonderbolt for her friends in Wonderbolt Academy? And I haven't even mentioned Sleepless In Ponyville and Flight To The Finish. I could go on... :dash:

52 minutes ago, bubbleteapony said:

In one of the episodes, she literally trades away Fluttershy for a book.

Forgetting to mention that she immediately realised that was a mistake and traded the book back for Fluttershy.

54 minutes ago, bubbleteapony said:

She also will not sugarcoat things and will tell you like it is, and while she definitely exaggerates, I wouldn't count that as lying or being dishonest.

Bluntness and honesty are two different things. She wasn't honest in Secrets And Pies, for example. Nor MMMystery On The Friendship Express ("I-I don't even like cake!"). 

1 hour ago, bubbleteapony said:

most of her character is based around her loyalty to her family and how important they are to her. AJ even gets her cutie mark by deciding to stay with her family.

Is the show called Family Is Magic or Friendship Is Magic?

• Brohoof 1

45 minutes ago, Nsxile said:

Short answer: No.

Long answer: No, because applejack was never that loyal to her friends tbh. She ran away from the mane six In The Last Roundup and was prepared to leave them behind until she had enough bits to go back to ponyville. Her participation in TMMDW was also highly disloyal.

Despite her going to Fluttershy's butterfly migration in Dragon Quest? Despite her going with Rarity and Twilight to keep an eye on Spike in Dragon Quest? Despite her sticking up for Fluttershy in Sonic Rainboom? Despite her saving Rarity in the competition (when she didn't need to and Rarity entered the competition against her)? Despite her giving up her chance to be a wonderbolt for her friends in Wonderbolt Academy? And I haven't even mentioned Sleepless In Ponyville and Flight To The Finish. I could go on... :dash:

Forgetting to mention that she immediately realised that was a mistake and traded the book back for Fluttershy.

Bluntness and honesty are two different things. She wasn't honest in Secrets And Pies, for example. Nor MMMystery On The Friendship Express ("I-I don't even like cake!"). 

Is the show called Family Is Magic or Friendship Is Magic?

Completely agree with this. AJ was never loyal to her "friends" and it annoyed the hell out of me. Element of honesty and yet she was being dishonest a bunch of times to boot. It's the reason why she's personally my least favourite out of the mane 6 but of course, that's completely subjective.

• Brohoof 1

No. Applejack is the Bearer of Honesty because she will tell you the truth, whether you want to hear it or not. Likewise, Rainbow Dash is the Bearer of Loyalty by being extremely supportive to her friends. During times when needed, they’re there to help in their own unique ways.

• Brohoof 2

I like your topic idea, @bubbleteapony. :) I definitely see Applejack as the loyal type. She is loyal to her family, to her friends and to all people who count on her. But Rainbow Dash and honesty don't really go well together. Something that immediately comes to mind is the episode where it's revealed that she lied to Pinkie Pie all the time about the pies. She also gets quickly embarrassed when it comes to a lot of smaller things and lies about them as a result. Rainbow Dash going to the Ponyville spa? Of course not! Rainbow Dash reads Daring Do books? No way! :ButtercupLaugh: (At first at least.)

Thinking about it, aren't the Elements of of Harmony kinda...unnecessary? I mean I view all of the Mane 6 as loyal, you can always count on them when it matters. Applejack is also not always honest. Fluttershy is sometimes the whole opposite of being kind, I don't even see the others become that furious. No one of them is flawless with their own element.

I would actually go so far to say that the character developement and the show is so good, because the elements are so unrelevant.

Just some thoughts though. I'm definitely interested in some other arguments. :)

Reminds me of an old Sawtooth Waves theory. Anyways, I do agree with how loyal AppleJack is and how honest Rainbow is and I'm honestly surprised they never confronted each other about any of this. Things would've been a lot more clear if they addressed this and questioned their roles within their Elements. Of course, it's not like they're bound to them but something terrible could've happened if they strayed too far from their elements, like what happened when they all got Discorded.

• Brohoof 1