Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

A Maretime Bay Adventure: Is the Game's Story Canon? (SPOILERS)

Misty Shadow

Having finished the game today, I was left with some questions on my mind about the story, whether or not it's canon and where it would fit in the G5 timeline if it is. Obviously, the plot of the game is going to be spoiled in this thread, you have been warned. 

Spoiler

To my surprise, the game's story was actually a sequel to the plot of the Make Your Mark pilot special, as was the plot of the most recent episode of Tell Your Tale. It can't possibly take place before the MYM pilot special, since Sunny has plant magic and Hitch has the ability to talk to animals now. Playing the game for the first time, I thought the plot of the game was going to be a bridge story between the movie and TYT, since the reveal of Sprout being the culprit behind all the game's shenanigans would explain why he's wanted by the police in TYT. However, the game doesn't end with Sprout getting away to my surprise, rather Sprout failing to escape and explaining himself while the Mane 5 reach an understanding with him. 

Although it's obviously a different Maretime Bay Day in the game, it is not one taking place in a different continuity. It's a Maretime Bay Day taking place after the one in the MYM special, given that the Mane 5 immediately knows what's up when the magic starts failing in the game, unlike in the special. They'd only know right away if those events transpired. Not only does it clearly take place after said special, it also, like said special, clearly takes place after certain events in TYT, since Zipp is teaching ponies to fly and Pipp mentions the possibility of her and Zipp having to move back to Zephyr Heights. Since Sunny calls the Maretime Bay Day festival an annual celebration in the MYM special, that would put this game a full year ahead of both G5 shows in the current timeline. It would also mean that whatever "Sprout on the lam" plot TYT may be going for is resolved before this game takes place. 

As of now, there are no contradictions to my knowledge between this game's story and what we've seen in the G5 shows that can't be explained. Right now, I believe that it could be canon. 

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

A Maretime Bay Adventure: Is the Game's Story Canon?

Spoiler

I hope so since Sprout is the only thing they haven't mentioned (using words) in Tell Your Tale or Make Your Mark*. *Yet...Maybe. 

Edited by Sparklefan1234
  • Brohoof 2

In all honesty, I feel that it certainly is canon. Sprout was still unstable at the end of the movie, so while playing the game, it was really no surprise that Sprout would do such a thing. Seeing that the OP compared to MYM's pilot episode (which I still haven't seen yet) it could be that the Maretime Bay Adventure story was the lead-in to Make Your Mark.n

• Brohoof 2

(edited)
21 hours ago, Toastypk said:

Not going to read this yet, but I'm curious how many hours you put into it. I don't see there being a gigantic amount of content.

I just hundred-percent-ed it just over two and a half hours. 

There are about five areas total, and the gameplay consisted of fetch quests, minigames, and in between those was some platforming and exploration.

Honestly, there were some aspects of the game that felt really unpolished, like facial animation, the way characters animated or popped into/out of existence as cutscenes were starting or ending, the way some equippable cosmetic items were animated, and there was a patch of confetti on the ground that disappeared or reappeared depending on how close/far your were to it.

There were a few moments that made me chuckle, though.

I'm thinking about uploading my Let's Play of it to youtube...

EDIT:  Aaaaand I managed to lose the second half of my game footage ><

Edited by HereComesTom
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)
45 minutes ago, HereComesTom said:

I just hundred-percent-ed it just over two and a half hours. 

There are about five areas total, and the gameplay consisted of fetch quests, minigames, and in between those was some platforming and exploration.

Honestly, there were some aspects of the game that felt really unpolished, like facial animation, the way characters animated or popped into/out of existence as cutscenes were starting or ending, the way some equippable cosmetic items were animated, and there was a patch of confetti on the ground that disappeared or reappeared depending on how close/far your were to it.

There were a few moments that made me chuckle, though.

I'm thinking about uploading my Let's Play of it to youtube...

EDIT:  Aaaaand I managed to lose the second half of my game footage ><

I'm curious to play it just because it's like a long-ish sounding episode of the show, and one of the scarce official G5 pony content things we have. Plus you get to be in the world and interact with other characters.

Side question: Has anyone extracted the models of the ponies for use in Gmod and SFM and the like? And have people started making mods?

Edited by Toastypk
  • Brohoof 1