Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How would you re-write G5?

Props Valroa

(edited)

For those of you who don't like G5 - I am very curious - how would people have wanted it to go instead? This is my idea. Not sure if anyone would like it but hey, I am curious about other's ideas as well. Here is my idea.

First off, I would have kept the characters themselves. Let's start with Hitch: 

AVvXsEhzp8UJiilL71vDOCpBly8osNfkxmdqQlNkF_4G4LlJL22O3RdPW2tmeOfNzh36fUpOHS-ddFcrcteR3Lks1Z2KITCTRfo6ZXT1SXESFr8dxssY1MYVU-RKrgn87D_Ctaaw37-I1Zek5d93l9KRmttUyXzGNQEkDk-IBgutRMwOnC1-q63ev-OHIecT6Q=s1080

The Potential for Hitch to be a great character is there. I like his personality but I do not like the way he looks. Giving him this electric blue color scheme is very snazzy and I love the fact that he's a cop. I think very few would argue with this, I don't see anything wrong with Hitch as a character concept but the way he was applied in the storyline didn't seem to match up all that right to me. But Hitch is definitely a likeable character. A guy full of genuine optimism, care, and a touch of Fluttershy's personality. A gentle giant! 

Zipp and Pipp:

2714336.jpg

I love the names Zipp and Pipp. Rolls right off the tongue! But, this is where G5 really started to fail for me. Zipp's color scheme and mane style did not look all that appealing. It is fairly obvious to me she is intended to take the place of Rainbow Dash in the show. I love this red and pink color scheme to her, like Hitch, it would have made her look really striking to the eye. Her personality? Well, we'll get into what I would change about that later. As for Pipp - I would make her an Opera Singer, and not a Phone Streamer (more on that later). Pipp to me is a more snazzy and loose version of Rarity, without the elitism. She is there to inspire someone to be their best selves, while Zipp to me, is a loose canon. A rogue. One who is the most negative of the setup of characters. Independent. Lone Wolf. Every group needs a character like that. 

Sunny Starscout - 

Capture.JPG

The obvious 'Twilight Sparkle' of the group, Sunny is shown to be a creative and explorative soul. Has family trauma. But, I'd make her a true inventor. A mechanic, one can say. I can see her being full of self doubt and internal stress like Twilight. Not an academic sort, but one who likes to work with her hooves and work with tools. She would have looked up to her dad, Argyle, who was an inventor before her. Argyle would have had a bad reputation about the place, being a plagiarizing money maker who was out for his own interests and when he finally kicked the bucket, not many would have sympathy - Sunny would be seen as a mistake, a mistake brought into the world by an arrogant fool. Sunny's arc would be her dragging herself out of that and proving she is a different pony than her father. Really would play on the idea of getting out of social stigmas to show who one's talent really is.

Izzy Moonbow - 

image.png.86998b05f437f86d4ca7f2c77d516fe4.png

I do not like how Izzy was in the show or movie all that much. Granted, it was nowhere near as grating as it was compared to Pinkie - but it always seems to bug me when a character's sole purpose is comedic relief for the audience. That is not how my version of her would be. She would be a shy, quiet fellow who has a great talent for art and is mortified of judgement by other people. Alphabittle is her father, and he would more or less be the same. An intimidating type, I can imagine him being akin to the leader of a Motorcycle Gang. While Izzy, would be his daughter, and would be loved very much by him. Izzy would be a highly observant pony, and would speak in a somewhat of a shy stammer with a monotone underlaying layer within her voice. She would basically be a combination of Maud Pie and Tree Hugger, yet with a lot of her own element. Intensely creative, but her own self is her own worst enemy.

Now, the overall plot, I would do? Well, it would be a lot different.

Tech level would be a lot different. It would be a lot more Steampunk Esque with such things as Airships and steampower, there would be no such things as iphones or anything of that nature. Magic would exist here, each of the three races would have unique types. Unicorns - Mind, Earth Ponies - Body, Pegasus - Soul. I would have them have those types as some sort of holy trinity that maintains balance in nature. Unicorns are naturally more intelligent, a race of thinkers and academics. Earth ponies are a race of strong willed and strong bodied ones who are naturally intune with the Earth, and are capable of great feats of Earthworks. Pegasi are the most passionate and driven of the three, providing and manipulating weather. Pegasi are the most religious of the three while Unicorns would be the most scientific. Earth ponies in my eyes, are usually more simple minded, and put their energy where their work is. Obviously very vague, and generalized terms, and not all would apply to every pony.

The lead pony in this universe would be Zipp, and not Sunny. Zephyr Heights is the capital of a large Empire known as the Equine Empire. Queen Haven is still Zipp and Pipp's mother, but she was selected by 'divine right', and rules through prestige and honor. There is a prominent theme throughout the Equine Empire, a thought process revolving around the reverence for the Sun itself, the Sun basically being the physical form of what they believe the creator of the Universe to be, and they often have mass celebrations dedicated to it. Zipp is not all that fond of the idea of being her mother's Heir, while Pipp is more into the idea. Pipp is a talented opera Singer, which pleases Queen Haven very greatly. 

Zipp strikes out and leaves due to feeling disillusioned with her society's ways. The show itself would start with her leaving, and rather than having all of the characters there from the start, it would focus on natural progression and meeting them along the way. Zipp has a few scenes to herself, where she's alone and flying. As she's alone, she has much of a time to think about what she wants to be. She hates the idea of being a Queen, but wants to make a difference either way. She gets the ability to do so, where we reach Maretime bay.

Maretime Bay is a run down and dirty town ruled over by a massive mob of pirates. The Pirates are lead by a brutal Captain known as Darksteel. They hail from a massive floating array of various ships and metal vessels out in the ocean that forms a massive barge. Darksteel is the epitome of cruelty, avarice, and greed. He knows who he is, and that's why he's at the top. There is some sort of complex legal treaty where the Equine Empire is not allowed to interfere with the affairs beyond their borders, and there are other nations such as a nation based around Elks (who are some sort of direct democracy), and many others who abide by this treaty. Zipp gets involved with this, and sees the pirates all around Maretime Bay acting like they own the place, but she stands up to them and actually ends up kicking flank. Despite there being no segregation like there is in the canon, the races tend to stick to themselves, so Maretime bay is mainly Earth ponies.

Zipp ends up fighting Darksteel with the help of Sunny (who is revealed to be his Niece, he respects her, but nobody else), and the Pirates end up being forced to withdrawl. Zipp definitely makes a bunch of mistakes along the way, is not the nicest of ponies, but the job is well done and Zipp forms a great friendship with Sunny. The two of them eventually leave Maretime bay, along with Hitch (who leaves his post since he wants to explore the world with the other two).

The three of them explore around and meet other ponies, along with Izzy and others. All of these plots would have some sort of deeper moral lesson. Not everyone they meet would be friendly them. Zipp would take them back home and reveal what she really wants to do with her life, which Haven accepts. Because of the various things they would have done, Haven puts them to the test and sends them out to resolve various issues within the Equine Empire and beyond.

Various differences occur here. Ponies never had immortal leaders. Only the Dragons do. There are other villains too. Sprout becomes some sort of foil to Sunny, both having similar talents but opposite intentions. Sprout would become some sort of mastermind with the intention to use technology to improve the lives of others but also wanting to rule everything for himself. There would be some sort of thing where there is an ominous plotline where Sprout ends up building a massive airship that poses a threat to the world and he ends up having a nearly cult like following of ponies who adhere to his ideology. His mother is a corrupt senator within the Equine Empire's senate, and has secretly been funding terrorist activities and other groups with the final goal of destroying the ruling order of the Empire, and finally advance them forward without dogmas of the past. None other than Phyllis Cloverleaf. 

This would be Sprout's battleship under construction. It's name would be the S.S. Ruination. pete-ashford-shipyard.jpg?1439969873

Battleships, aerial dogfights, pirate and batpony gangs, would all have prominent themes within this story, as well as deep political affairs, racial relations, corruption, wars. Yet, this would also have an important theme of having a group of friends to wear the harshest of storms and to inspire hope within everyone's hearts regardless of how bad it gets. There would be villains ranging from military commanders, ideological fanatics, and immortal dragon divines with intentions far beyond the understandings of the mortal realm - all against a group of friends guided by Harmony, lead by a disgruntled and passionate Zipp.

Obviously all of this is imperfect and there are many gaps within my idea, but I hope somebody finds it interesting - what do you think? What are your ideas? 

Edited by -Solstice-
  • Brohoof 6

(edited)
43 minutes ago, -Solstice- said:

I do not like how Izzy was in the show or movie all that much. Granted, it was nowhere near as grating as it was compared to Pinkie -

I also wish that Izzy Moonbow didn't pretty much become a Pinkie Pie clone but at least Izzy sort of has a reason

since she's never really been around Earth or Pegasi ponies before and she's still trying to figure things out about them just like her friends

are with her. 

Edited by Sparklefan1234
  • Brohoof 1

1 minute ago, Sparklefan1234 said:

I also wish that Izzy Moonbow didn't pretty much become a Pinkie Pie clone but at least Izzy sort of has a reason

since she's never really been around Earth or Pegasi ponies before and she's still trying to figure things out about them just like her friends

are with her. 

At least Izzy isn't as bad as Pinkie was, in my eyes.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

I'd rewrite G5 as Sunny dealing with the broken pedestals of her father and ancient equestrian (G4) while working to restore ponies' harmony.

Also, Sunny and the gang learning how to be friends, all being socially awkward in their own way.

Edited by Rosy Moonlight
  • Brohoof 2

That's a pretty elaborate concept, Solstice, but it sure has a lot of potential.

My idea for G-5 sort of rotated around the idea that we'd still have Twilight, Pinkie, Applejack, Rainbow Dash, Rarity, and Fluttershy as main characters---seeing the character design sheets was what gave me that impression.

The backstory was that, at some point, Twilight and her friends were up against a foe that was too powerful for them, and they only save Equestria at the price of their lives.  Flurry Heart and Shining Armor also died in this fight.  The loss drove Celestia and Luna out of retirement, and it caused both Celestia and (especially) Cadence into a somewhat darker personality change---they became largely joyless, tough-but-fair authority figures in the end. 

In the aftermath of the tragedy, they concluded that Equestria's prosperity was born from their harmony---but their prosperity kept attracting villains, and it was no longer worth the risk of attracting them.  So they separated themselves:  Cadence took the pegasi with her, Celestia took the earth ponies with her, and Luna took the unicorns with her.  They used their cosmic power to literally break the world they were on into pieces, and each pony tribe ended up living on a different planet in the same solar system.

These planets were partly natural and partly artificial; weather and nature largely took care of themselves on these worlds, though pegasi still had some of the same weather control abilities they had before the world was split.

Of course, there was always the potential for stragglers, and it wasn't unknown for one kind of pony to give birth to another kind.  The three princesses set up a system that eventually filtered all the earth ponies to Celestia's rocky, desert, volcanic world (called Volcland), that filtered all the pegasi to Cadence's cloud, island, and oceanic world (called Cumuland), and to Luna's woodsy world of shooting stars (called Unicornia). 

Their system was two-pronged:  one half of their system was to provide each kind of pony with different immunities and weaknesses:  earth ponies were utterly immune to heat, allowing them to walk through a desert without water, and even giving them the ability to swim in lava the way dragons can.  The cost of this immunity was incredible weakness to cold and wet conditions; getting caught in a downpour for even as short a time as ten minutes could cause an earth pony to die of pneumonia.  Pegasi were immune to cold and wet conditions, even able to survive in arctic wastelands.  But the cost of this immunity was that the passive magnetic magic of shooting stars would cause the pegasi to go limp and become paralyzed---if they were in the ground  zero where the shooting star was about to land.  Unicorns were immune to these shooting stars' effects, and in fact their magic was strengthened by being near a shooting star's ground zero, to the point where they could use telekinesis to catch the shooting stars.  However, the unicorns were unbelievably vulnerable to heat, to the point where they couldn't be within 100 feet of a burning building without their skin breaking out in burns and blisters.

The other half of the princesses' system was to create a kind of portal-mountains in each of their worlds.  The idea was that the mountains had hazards on them that were deadly for the usual inhabitants of the world the mountain was on, but the mountain also had gemstones on it that could be used to teleport to another world:  there were mountains that magically generated thunderstorms in Volcland, but these mountains had Rainbow Diamonds on them that could transport a pony to Cumuland.  Cumuland had mountains that attracted shooting stars, but there were Star Emeralds on these mountains that could transport a pony to Unicornia.  And Unicornia had volcanoes on it that were full of Mountain Rubies that could transport a pony to Volcland.

The idea was that each princess, every time a pony was born on a world where they didn't belong (at least, where the princesses thought they didn't belong), that pony would be sent to one of these hazard-mountains, where there was a runestone that explained how to recite the magic spell that sent a pony to another world.  With enough time, the dormant genes that enabled ponies to give birth to other tribes faded, and the memory of ponies making these trips also faded.

But then an enterprising little earth pony mare named Twilight Sparkle and her blacksmith big brother Shining Armor got their hooves on some cloaks that had been waterproofed with tar, a decided to explore a stormy mountain and bring diamonds back to make money.  Eventually, Twilight took her rival Applejack and her brother Big Mackintosh (who was also Shining Armor's best friend) with them to gather diamonds.  And one fateful day, Twilight found a runestone, tried the spell, and they found themselves on Cumuland, setting in motion a chain of events that led them to rediscover the harmony they'd lost, also forcing the princesses to make a decision on how to respond to this reborn harmony---not to mention how to respond to the fact that these little ponies seemed to be the Mane Six, reborn.

I'd had in mind bringing back quite a few characters and fantasy species---in particular, I'd wanted to bring back some villains from G-1, but make them mayors of the cities the Mane Six are from:  Lavan would be mayor of Rainbow Village, where Applejack and Twilight live.  Squirk would be mayor of Shooting Star Village, where Rainbow Dash and Pinkie Pie live.  And Katrina would be mayor of Light Fountain Village, where Rarity and Fluttershy live.

I could go on, but...wall of text, innit?

• Brohoof 3

@HereComesTom

I am very glad and thankful that someone appreciates and finds my ideas interesting.

I have to say that is a rather unique take on something although that is not a path I would go for. I wanted to completely move on from G4 to avoid stagnation and create a new, entirely blank slate. For whatever reason though, what you spoke of reminded me a lot of Super Mario Galaxy. If you have any questions about my idea you can feel free to ask. My issue with G4 is that it made the mane 6 seem almost like gods, in my idea, despite how successful the Mane 5 are, there would be a lot of downfalls and near death experiences. Obviously more of a darker setting overall. 

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

I, on the other hoof, am fairly lenient of various inconsistencies, willing to brush them off with in-universe thoughts and theories or something as simple as writer(s) plain forgetting something. I know that in the video game, the artists just weren't aware of Sunny's newly gained rainbow streaks of hair and were too into programming at that point.

Never have I been really truely rubbed the wrong way by some sort of plot turn or inconsistency. At least not anything I can think of offhand.

Edited by Toastypk
  • Brohoof 1

I like the personality headcanons you made but I like the current colors better (well, Hitch does look pretty cool as a blue pony). Mainly I just like that Zipp and Pipp look so different cause I'm so tired of "the twins have to look/act the same" trope. It's really nice to see twins act like different people because they are different people.

As for the battles and other things you headcanoned, I'd be quite surprised if G5 got into something like that but it was possible in G4 so it's definitely possible here.

I also love the idea of @HereComesTom's headcanon. That would've been great if the first three alicorns actually contributed to the G5 plot that much. It also makes sense that they would disband harmony if they found it to be ineffective.

• Brohoof 2

Writing is not my strong suit, but I do like that blue color of Hitch (more than his current color). I would have liked a darker and less kid-friendly story as well.

I am part of that group that see G5 quite negatively, but I try my best not to. I have come around when it comes to the 3D. The 2D art style is bothering me a lot with its low quality drawings. The social media inclusion (smartphones and emojis) and any rap songs do not belong in MLP according to me. If I were to rewrite anything, I would just take those things out of G5.

• Brohoof 5

Honestly, my way isn't necessarily a "rewrite", but more of a "reorganization".

See, the one thing we haven't seen yet is how magic was lost in the first place...I feel that void is still there. If there was something before the ANG movie, that would've really filled the void. This would give time for MYM to develop further and create more lore for the writers to work with. 

Intertwining the story of G4 would also work since ANG referenced the Mane 6 at the start of the movie.  

So in the end, the weakest link of G5 is really the connection to G4 and how they went about with magic being lost and how the species dealt with it. That's the thing. A lack of background is why I feel people here want a rewrite of G5.

• Brohoof 4

(edited)

I would have liked more of an explanation for why all of the ponies lost their magic in the first place.

Do all Earth ponies have different powers or does every Earth pony have the ability to grow plants and talk to animals?

This one may not count but I wouldn't include dragons, hippogriffs or any other mythical creatures.

Edited by Sparklefan1234
  • Brohoof 3

I wouldn't rewrite it at all because I have not fully seen what the creative crew is really going to do with it yet, and I believe that in doing so, I would be pre-emptively judging something that has barely even gotten off the ground. 

On 2022-06-03 at 8:16 AM, -Solstice- said:

For those of you who don't like G5 - I am very curious - how would people have wanted it to go instead? This is my idea. Not sure if anyone would like it but hey, I am curious about other's ideas as well. Here is my idea.

First off, I would have kept the characters themselves. Let's start with Hitch: 

How I feel about the prototype character designs:

Hitch = Too icy for his nature-ish name and his warm personality

Zipp = Not enough contrast in the color scheme.

Pipp = Reminds me too much of Charlotte La Bouff from The Princess and the Frog.

Sunny = Reminds me too much of Varian from Tangled: The Series.

On 2022-06-02 at 10:30 PM, HereComesTom said:

That's a pretty elaborate concept, Solstice, but it sure has a lot of potential.

My idea for G-5 sort of rotated around the idea that we'd still have Twilight, Pinkie, Applejack, Rainbow Dash, Rarity, and Fluttershy as main characters---seeing the character design sheets was what gave me that impression.

The backstory was that, at some point, Twilight and her friends were up against a foe that was too powerful for them, and they only save Equestria at the price of their lives.  Flurry Heart and Shining Armor also died in this fight.  The loss drove Celestia and Luna out of retirement, and it caused both Celestia and (especially) Cadence into a somewhat darker personality change---they became largely joyless, tough-but-fair authority figures in the end. 

In the aftermath of the tragedy, they concluded that Equestria's prosperity was born from their harmony---but their prosperity kept attracting villains, and it was no longer worth the risk of attracting them.  So they separated themselves:  Cadence took the pegasi with her, Celestia took the earth ponies with her, and Luna took the unicorns with her.  They used their cosmic power to literally break the world they were on into pieces, and each pony tribe ended up living on a different planet in the same solar system.

These planets were partly natural and partly artificial; weather and nature largely took care of themselves on these worlds, though pegasi still had some of the same weather control abilities they had before the world was split.

Of course, there was always the potential for stragglers, and it wasn't unknown for one kind of pony to give birth to another kind.  The three princesses set up a system that eventually filtered all the earth ponies to Celestia's rocky, desert, volcanic world (called Volcland), that filtered all the pegasi to Cadence's cloud, island, and oceanic world (called Cumuland), and to Luna's woodsy world of shooting stars (called Unicornia). 

Their system was two-pronged:  one half of their system was to provide each kind of pony with different immunities and weaknesses:  earth ponies were utterly immune to heat, allowing them to walk through a desert without water, and even giving them the ability to swim in lava the way dragons can.  The cost of this immunity was incredible weakness to cold and wet conditions; getting caught in a downpour for even as short a time as ten minutes could cause an earth pony to die of pneumonia.  Pegasi were immune to cold and wet conditions, even able to survive in arctic wastelands.  But the cost of this immunity was that the passive magnetic magic of shooting stars would cause the pegasi to go limp and become paralyzed---if they were in the ground  zero where the shooting star was about to land.  Unicorns were immune to these shooting stars' effects, and in fact their magic was strengthened by being near a shooting star's ground zero, to the point where they could use telekinesis to catch the shooting stars.  However, the unicorns were unbelievably vulnerable to heat, to the point where they couldn't be within 100 feet of a burning building without their skin breaking out in burns and blisters.

The other half of the princesses' system was to create a kind of portal-mountains in each of their worlds.  The idea was that the mountains had hazards on them that were deadly for the usual inhabitants of the world the mountain was on, but the mountain also had gemstones on it that could be used to teleport to another world:  there were mountains that magically generated thunderstorms in Volcland, but these mountains had Rainbow Diamonds on them that could transport a pony to Cumuland.  Cumuland had mountains that attracted shooting stars, but there were Star Emeralds on these mountains that could transport a pony to Unicornia.  And Unicornia had volcanoes on it that were full of Mountain Rubies that could transport a pony to Volcland.

The idea was that each princess, every time a pony was born on a world where they didn't belong (at least, where the princesses thought they didn't belong), that pony would be sent to one of these hazard-mountains, where there was a runestone that explained how to recite the magic spell that sent a pony to another world.  With enough time, the dormant genes that enabled ponies to give birth to other tribes faded, and the memory of ponies making these trips also faded.

But then an enterprising little earth pony mare named Twilight Sparkle and her blacksmith big brother Shining Armor got their hooves on some cloaks that had been waterproofed with tar, a decided to explore a stormy mountain and bring diamonds back to make money.  Eventually, Twilight took her rival Applejack and her brother Big Mackintosh (who was also Shining Armor's best friend) with them to gather diamonds.  And one fateful day, Twilight found a runestone, tried the spell, and they found themselves on Cumuland, setting in motion a chain of events that led them to rediscover the harmony they'd lost, also forcing the princesses to make a decision on how to respond to this reborn harmony---not to mention how to respond to the fact that these little ponies seemed to be the Mane Six, reborn.

I'd had in mind bringing back quite a few characters and fantasy species---in particular, I'd wanted to bring back some villains from G-1, but make them mayors of the cities the Mane Six are from:  Lavan would be mayor of Rainbow Village, where Applejack and Twilight live.  Squirk would be mayor of Shooting Star Village, where Rainbow Dash and Pinkie Pie live.  And Katrina would be mayor of Light Fountain Village, where Rarity and Fluttershy live.

my idea would be similar to spiderman, you know how in spiderman one universe is peter parker as spider man, and in universe two miles morale is spider man after peter parker died, in my little pony g5 could be in a universe where g4 ponies did die, and in friend ship is magic universe the mane 6 is still alive and well, and twilight sparkle's daughter is now a princess, 

On 2022-06-02 at 10:30 PM, HereComesTom said:

you know what about my version, it's similar to power rangers, you know in power rangers they have a universe where tommy remained evil and destroyed the power rangers, maybe I could write a g5 is a universe where the old ponies were only legends you know how like unicorns are in our world, and friend ship is magic where the mane 6 are real an are still alive and twilights daughter is now the princess

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Personally, I’m kind of annoyed at all the plot holes currently in G5. Hopefully they fix them soon. Now this is a bit further out there but I think they should write interesting stories or do whatever it is that made people fall in love with G4 that would make people fall in love with G5

Edited by Skylight Scintillate
  • Brohoof 1

4 hours ago, Skylight Scintillate said:

Personally, I’m kind of annoyed at all the plot holes currently in G5. Hopefully they fix them soon. Now this is a bit further out there but I think they should write interesting stories or do whatever it is that made people fall in love with G4 that would make people fall in love with G5

Repeating G-4's success is easier said than done; I can only speak for my own introduction to G-4, but it was watching the pilot that got me hooked---the first episode caught your attention with an epic story of deities fighting, then quickly turned into something more mundane that bordered on self-parody, with Twilight meeting eccentric pony after eccentric pony, all while she kept the epic story first and foremost in her mind, only for that epic story to break out into the mundane world and surprise everypony but Twilight.  Then the second episode was an adventure, still watchable for girls and not much violence, but with enough action to keep adults interested.

It's hard to imagine G-5 succeeding at being self-parody, even for one episode, considering that G-4 came on the tails of G-3, which was one of the most preschool-ish incarnations of the MLP franchise, which gave G-4 plenty to mock.  G-5, by contrast, is coming at the tail of G-4, which is hands-down the most epic incarnation!

• Brohoof 3

I'd start by removing any and all connection to G4.  I'd keep the characters, but would definitely take steps to make them more dynamic, especially Sunny.  Sunny's arc in the movie would probably follow a similar trajectory, but she would have to come to the realization that she does actually have prejudice, and own up to it.  I mean, she was initially interested in Izzy and the Pegasus sisters because they're a Unicorn and two Pegasi, and rather than being interested in learning about them as individual ponies, was first and foremost interested in learning whether the stereotypes about their races were true.  The completion of her arc would involve overcoming said prejudice in herself, so she can be in a position to advocate against it.  Of course, said movie would also make a point of making all of its mane cast useful.  Like a good pilot, it would also connect to the shows to follow, and give a proper impression of what to expect.

After the movie, I'd probably have an arc where all of the mane ponies have to really explore their place in the world they find themselves in, which would also follow a very similar trajectory to what we got, but again, with more development and focus on who each character is, and their path going forward.  The reintroduction of magic and the co-existence of all three races would very much still be part of it.  Izzy, Pipp and Zipp would have to find their place in Maretime Bay, but I'd make an arc of it for each of them.  Hitch would have his hooves full figuring out how best to police the town now that thing are different.  Sunny would be excited at first to have her new friends move in with her, but would realize as time passes that now that she's achieved what she has been dreaming of for most of her life, she really doesn't know what her pursuits should be going forward.  Also, I'd throw in a hobby or two for her to give her something to work with.  

Yeah...my ideas for a better G5 aren't actually all that far removed from what we have so far.  For me it's lacking in substance, but solid writing could easily fix that.  Also, I really, really wish it didn't rely on G4 for life support, as it does neither series any favours.  As it stands, I'll give the first few post-pilot episodes of MYM a shot, but it's really going to need an injection of something to make me want to keep watching.  

• Brohoof 2

@AlbaTross

Issue I have most with G5 is it's connection to G4. It shouldn't be connected whatsoever. I would be alright with improving what we already have, I wouldn't complain - but I would personally go all out for a darker more adult themed show with politics, brutal battles, and ideological conflict.

• Brohoof 2

49 minutes ago, -Solstice- said:

@AlbaTross

Issue I have most with G5 is it's connection to G4. It shouldn't be connected whatsoever. I would be alright with improving what we already have, I wouldn't complain - but I would personally go all out for a darker more adult themed show with politics, brutal battles, and ideological conflict.

That isn't really what MLP is. It's a kid's franchise that isn't super serious or even action packed but rather teaches about morals for anyone to understand.

Moments ago, GreenPile101 said:

That isn't really what MLP is. It's a kid's franchise that isn't super serious or even action packed but rather teaches about morals for anyone to understand.

Well, you can have even larger morals within a more complex story. Ones that drive deeper than most are willing to admit. MLP is better in fimfics anyways, at least that's what I think.

14 hours ago, -Solstice- said:

@AlbaTross

Issue I have most with G5 is it's to G4. It shouldn't be connected whatsoever. I would be alright with improving what we have, I wouldn't complain - but I would go all out for a darker more themed show with politics, brutal battles, and ideological conflict.

I agree that the two shows should be completely separate entities.  FiM didn't have to be a continuation of Newborn Cuties (thank goodness), and while I can see why a new show would want to tap into the awesomeness of FiM, I don't see why the new series couldn't have just been its own separate thing.  I guess as a cheap and easy way to get Bronies talking?  That can only get it so far though, as sooner or later it will have to sink or swim on its own merits.  Also...yeah I hate that everything Twilight and friends worked for has apparently been undone.  There's a strike against G5 just for that.

13 hours ago, GreenPile101 said:

That isn't really what MLP is. It's a kid's franchise that isn't super serious or even packed but teaches about morals for anyone to understand.

13 hours ago, -Solstice- said:

Well, you can have even larger morals within a more complex . that drive deeper than most are willing to admit. MLP is better in fimfics anyways, at least that's what I think.

I'm in the middle, in that I enjoy both the action/adventure subplots and the more slice of life moments in FiM.  Heck, some of the simpler character moments are among my favourite in the entire series.  What makes them work though, is solid writing.  Well, that and the whole premise of FiM, along with its world and characters allow for much more variety in terms of story setups than we have seen so far in G5, some of which could get pretty creative.  FiM's Equestria is just more interesting in general.  I'm still holding out hope that G5 will become something worth keeping up with...but I'm doubting more and more that it will ever hold a candle to FiM.  It could still be an ok show, but that's even more reason why it should never have been connected to FiM.  

• Brohoof 2

@AlbaTross

I personally don't like the fact that they included phones and modern technology. How is a pony supposed to text with hooves? Makes no sense, plus the visual style is downright appalling to look at. To be fair, it does look great at certain angles but when the ponies are seen front on it just doesn't look right at all. 

• Brohoof 1