Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Not getting notifications whenever someone I'm following post a status update

Will Guide

After May 28th, any status updates from someone I'm following isn't popping up in the notification lists despite settings saying I should. I thought it was because of the forum update glitch.

If anybody can figure out what went wrong let me know

• Brohoof 2

In Notifications Settings (in the 🔔 menu top right corner), in the Profile group (Status Updates & Profile Comments), do you have the checkbox for Notifications List checked?

If it isn’t, then check it and it will solve your issue.

It will make every status update made by the ones you follow show up as a notification, even if they are directed towards another person you don’t follow’s profile. As an example to this, I never used to see notifications from the member I follow @Tacodidra because they always make statuses in other’s profiles and those never showed up in my notifications list until now.

You might find more info in this thread:

• Brohoof 3

7 hours ago, Will Guide said:

despite settings saying I should

Which setting?

Sadly there's no longer a setting, that would say something like "Someone I follow posts a new status.".

It is indeed because of the forum update, but unfortunately it is not a glitch, but apparently an intended change.

It is also not MLPF's fault, but the Invision ponies', who develop this forum software. For some reason they keep merging notification settings every now and then, let me quote myself;

On 2022-05-25 at 1:36 AM, Rikifive said:

In the past they already made the notification settings much worse, merging options into one making it less flexible. They called it an "improvement", because supposedly these settings were too complicated and confusing. Funny how that works, here I see everyone asking for more options, but the Invision ponies keep doing literally the opposite. It's as if they never expected big communities focusing on socializing to be run on their software, but at the same time, they do implement stuff like "leaderboards" and now somewhat recently added "achievements", so their direction is rather unclear. I have no idea what is their goal, they really should try being more active on their own forum software to see its flaws. I myself have troubles with notifications, because as we all know, it's either absolute spam or nothing. No way to keep the notification box balanced.

With that being said, "[someone you follow] has posted a new status update" notification has been merged with setting responsible for notifying you about every single post the followed user makes.

Therefore, if you want to receive notifications from new status updates posted by members you follow, you'll have to enable this in the settings:

Followed Content > Followed users > These notifications will be sent whenever a member you are following makes a post.

2022-06-05_12-38-43.png.4ac22e7f2b22a7c4f2606d9c0adc8a6a.png

This will enable the notifications you're looking for, but sadly also from any post they submit, which will quickly flood your notification box, hence why you probably have that one disabled.

On 2022-06-05 at 12:50 PM, Rikifive said:

Which setting?

Sadly there's no longer a setting, that would say something like "Someone I follow posts a new status.".

It is indeed because of the forum update, but unfortunately it is not a glitch, but apparently an intended change.

It is also not MLPF's fault, but the Invision ponies', who develop this forum software. For some reason they keep merging notification settings every now and then, let me quote myself;

With that being said, "[someone you follow] has posted a new status update" notification has been merged with setting responsible for notifying you about every single post the followed user makes.

Therefore, if you want to receive notifications from new status updates posted by members you follow, you'll have to enable this in the settings:

Followed Content > Followed users > These notifications will be sent whenever a member you are following makes a post.

2022-06-05_12-38-43.png.4ac22e7f2b22a7c4f2606d9c0adc8a6a.png

This will enable the notifications you're looking for, but sadly also from any post they submit, which will quickly flood your notification box, hence why you probably have that one disabled.

is it really going to show us every little thing that people post {because i'm now getting nofications of threads i'm not even following that people post in..}
If so.. that will be really annoying

• Brohoof 1

3 hours ago, Pandora said:

is it really going to show us every little thing that people post {because i'm now getting nofications of threads i'm not even following that people post in..}
If so.. that will be really annoying

Sadly, yes. And yup, you're absolutely correct, this is indeed horrible, I agree, I don't like that either.

I really don't understand what they are doing. There surely should be more notification options, but somehow they do exactly the opposite. These are hardly useful now, soon they'll merge it all into one setting making it absolutely useless, and shamelessly call it "an improvement". :awwthanks: 

2 minutes ago, Rikifive said:

Sadly, yes. And yup, you're absolutely correct, this is indeed horrible, I agree, I don't like that either.

I really don't understand what they are doing. There surely should be more notification options, but somehow they do exactly the opposite. These are hardly useful now, soon they'll merge it all into one setting making it absolutely useless, and shamelessly call it "an improvement". :awwthanks: 

i personally hate this thing, i've had to unfollow two people cause they were continuesly posting in a thread {count to a million or something..} and it kept giving me notifications each time they posted which could go on for hours without end. :I <3 shame lol

• Brohoof 3

(edited)
12 minutes ago, Pandora said:

i personally hate this thing, i've had to unfollow two people cause they were continuesly posting in a thread {count to a million or something..} and it kept giving me notifications each time they posted which could go on for hours without end. :I <3 shame lol

That is a perfect example to point out the issue with that, I get 'ya.

Apparently this is something the software devs didn't account. Maybe they expect only small and serious/business communities where no one really talks to be run on their software. Their own forums meant for their clients are rather quiet (mostly limited to support/feedback/ideas/plugins from what I saw), and whenever I saw these clients link their forums when asking for help, these were very specific and small too, maybe that's why no one really sees the problem there.

They started messing with the notifications, because supposedly these were too complicated earlier. I wonder who came up with that lol.

It's a shame indeed. ;-;

Edited by Rikifive
  • Brohoof 2

3 hours ago, TomDaBombMLP said:

I’ve gotten word that this is actually a permanent feature because of something to do with the software hosts screwing around with the settings.

Not sure what you mean by this, because we’ve been pretty transparent regarding how Invision changed the settings. It’s also inaccurate to say it’s a permanent feature, as software companies tend to revisit unpopular changes. Also to clear this up. Most forums out there that you use are not built by the sites you visit. They are built by various companies. The website’s buy a license and use that software. When the software developers (not MLPF) make a change in their software … the customers are not given much of a say in adoption. 

To that, I have to say that I’m incredibly upset and downright pissed to hear this. 

So are we. I think we made that plainly clear. 

I appreciate the fact that forum staff is potentially trying their best but they’re not trying hard enough.

And this, this is where you lose me. First off, all the staff on MLPF is volunteer only. I guarantee that they probably had more fun as a member. It was more peaceful and they didn’t have to deal with entitlement. They do not deserve that sort of gross candor from you or anyone on this site.

We do not have a dedicated development team on this site. Most forums don’t. Those that are developers like me are not sacrificing time with family, friends, or actually making money … because someone gets a wild hair and threatens to quit. My wife matters to me more than you. She wins. If the devs who are on staff in less time demanding roles actually charged for their services, it you require a substantial crowdfunding campaign. 

4 hours ago, TomDaBombMLP said:

Add the fact that we still have this extremely annoying blank update bug that has persisted for way too long. Me and all of my close forum friends have allowed a lot of time to pass for that to be fixed. For me personally, it’s too late.

I agree it’s annoying, and the person who agreed to chase down the bug has been busy with work. I’m not an asshole. I won’t pester him just to make you happy when he’s got other things to worry about. The #1 mantra of staff is, “focus on IRL, forum can wait!”. If that is unsatisfactory to you, than that’s a “you” thing. 

Also, a lot of time? Way too long? It’s been a few weeks! The status update bug will be fixed like it has in the past. The notifications, if I can find a solution, I’ll implement it. I’m certainly not sacrificing a second of time from my life to do it for this sort of attitude though. I’m not going to direct a single soul to do the same either.

You are acting like we don’t care or give a rats about the issues and complaints. Son, I just reach out to a developer to get an estimate on what it may take to change notifications and uptrain me so I can make a document for staff … but I’m so close to putting a pause on that just because of this post. Instead, imma do what I tell staffers to do when they get annoyed with the forum, I’m going to go chill and do other things that I like. I’ll check back in a few days. 

Do what you feel you need to do with that information, but you better do it with some genuine respect and understanding. An apology would also be appreciated for any of the staff who you may have crapped all over. I used to respect your opinion. But that post? Well …  make your own conclusions you are good at that. 

• Brohoof 3

Well I don't really come on the forms as often as I used to anymore. So my opinion on the matter isn't really as important as anybody else's.