Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Will Make Your Mark (G5) be better than Friendship is Magic (G4)?

doomy343

• 2 weeks later...

I highly doubt that MYM will even be on par with FiM, let alone be better than it. Already, the animation and voice acting departments for MYM have been lower quality than FiM, so it already has that weighing it down a bit. When it comes to story, it is hard to say for sure since only the pilot of MYM has aired so far, but I also doubt that will match up to the average writing quality of FiM. I think that MYM could have decent writing with a few fun episodes that are comparable to FiM, but for the most part just having decent writing isn't going to put MYM on the level of FiM's first seven seasons. One of these factors is that the main cast don't seem to have as much potential to stay compelling throughout the series as the mane six did. Also, it seems like MYM just repeated the same lesson of TYT rather than come up with a new lesson or theme, which could get boring when compared to FiM's variety of themes and lessons. Don't get me wrong, I definitely think that MYM can manage to surpass the last two seasons of FiM, but I doubt it will manage to do the same when compared the rest of the series. 

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
On 2022-06-08 at 1:34 AM, They call me Loyalty said:

It is kinda difficult to beat FiM. It was such an spontaneous spark of awesomeness at the right time. So, maybe the point is not to be better than FiM. But to make something that is decent on its own. So, is it good enough? I don't know. I haven't watched it, yet. And it may be a little too soon to say. Besides, as you have said, it could have been just a rough start, and it will get better in time as with many other series in the past. Or maybe its reception was in part due to the despondency from overzelous G4 fans. You know, people with emotional issues for the most part. You have to understand that MLP attracts a LOT of very "sensitive" people, if you get my meaning. So, there may be a degree of exaggeration to their reaction. Or not, and the show sucks.

Either way, it is advisable to temper your expectations. I will give it a fair chance. And if it is really bad, well. There is always FiM.

It's very accurate comment! I am a very emotional person. And I think I get too attached to the some characters that I liked.  (I think I have to watch the other 6 FIM seasons because I only saw the first three, maybe I will stop missing them so much when  I will do it and I will glad they didn't mess it up any more. I don't know, at least that's what I heard. :ButtercupLaugh:)

I was very excited about the upcoming generation anyway and gave them a chance from the very first look. These are really okay characters, but still they stay in the FiM's shade for me so much. :worry: The worst part of this is that I can't change it...

I think people are too philosophical here after all. We don't have a series yet...  so we can't judge it. We have 4 productions so far. Three of them are practically the same about problematic. But if judging just because what we have so far, then they are probably very right. It does not aim to be at least half as good as FiM was. It's gonna be really much worse. At the moment I have the impression that the idea was only for a movie lmao. :okiedokieloki: Anyway, the new generation will surely be a weak FiM. :D That is why it has to create something of its own and different. And that's why people have to judge it on a blank sheet of paper, not by sentiment. Only then it has a little chance to succeed in its own way. It would be nice if the fandom was at least similar to the old one. But I doubt it. FiM was warm from the beginning and had a friendly mood. And the New Generation tries to be more... modern? The ponies here seem to be more focused on themselves alone than on their friendship... I've felt this connection between the Mane6 since I watched the first episodes. And I don't feel it here for now in G5.

It seems to me (or it's just me)  that most people have fled into ponies' world to forget about reality for a while. Legends, mythology, unknown world, creatures, characters we know not from being super extra heroes, but just from being themselves with their many flaws etc.... In g5 we have internet and social. I have the impression that future G5 fights with antagonists will give us the impression of a teenage argument... but for example... I'm still quite impressed after Tirek vs Twilight fight. :eager: I try to be an optimist. But New Generation is average. This is average when I'm optimistic. :dry:

I'm waiting for the series. This is the only right thing I can do.

Edited by nataalya
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)
9 hours ago, nataalya said:

It's very accurate comment! I am a very emotional person. And I think I get too attached to the some characters that I liked.  (I think I have to watch the other 6 FIM seasons because I only saw the first three, maybe I will stop missing them so much when  I will do it and I will glad they didn't mess it up any more. I don't know, at least that's what I heard. :ButtercupLaugh:)

I was very excited about the upcoming generation anyway and gave them a chance from the very first look. These are really okay characters, but still they stay in the FiM's shade for me so much. :worry: The worst part of this is that I can't change it...

I think people are too philosophical here after all. We don't have a series yet...  so we can't judge it. We have 4 productions so far. Three of them are practically the same about problematic. But if judging just because what we have so far, then they are probably very right. It does not aim to be at least half as good as FiM was. It's gonna be really much worse. At the moment I have the impression that the idea was only for a movie lmao. :okiedokieloki: Anyway, the new generation will surely be a weak FiM. :D That is why it has to create something of its own and different. And that's why people have to judge it on a blank sheet of paper, not by sentiment. Only then it has a little chance to succeed in its own way. It would be nice if the fandom was at least similar to the old one. But I doubt it. FiM was warm from the beginning and had a friendly mood. And the New Generation tries to be more... modern? The ponies here seem to be more focused on themselves alone than on their friendship... I've felt this connection between the Mane6 since I watched the first episodes. And I don't feel it here for now in G5.

It seems to me (or it's just me)  that most people have fled into ponies' world to forget about reality for a while. Legends, mythology, unknown world, creatures, characters we know not from being super extra heroes, but just from being themselves with their many flaws etc.... In g5 we have internet and social. I have the impression that future G5 fights with antagonists will give us the impression of a teenage argument... but for example... I'm still quite impressed after Tirek vs Twilight fight. :eager: I try to be an optimist. But New Generation is average. This is average when I'm optimistic. :dry:

I'm waiting for the series. This is the only right thing I can do.

That may be true. But I was also disregarding other people's emotions to some degree, as well as my own. So, I'm sorry.

My concern was mostly regarding the "heart" of this generation. Which has something to do with the dissociative and franctic nature of the "modernity" you mentioned. The word "modern" hides so many social problems.

But maybe that is the point of G5, to introduce real issues from our society, and address them by restoring the values of magic to their world, thereby teaching something valuable in the process.
In this case, then the responsibility would fall on the production team to know what they are really doing. Sometimes a positive, inclusive and tolerant attitude can be really harmful without true understanding of the real problem. Which is not an excuse to judge others, either.

To be honest, I don't have a clue about G5. I've only seen some promotional material and the first episode of TyT.

Also, you don't have to force yourself to like something you don't. In fact, an average reaction for an average show is completely fair. It is better to be honest than be falsely optimistic, in my opinion.

Edited by They call me Loyalty
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)
15 hours ago, They call me Loyalty said:

That may be true. But I was also disregarding other people's emotions to some degree, as well as my own. So, I'm sorry.

My concern was mostly regarding the "heart" of this generation. Which has something to do with the dissociative and franctic nature of the "modernity" you mentioned. The word "modern" hides so many social problems.

But maybe that is the point of G5, to introduce real issues from our society, and address them by restoring the values of magic to their world, thereby teaching something valuable in the process.
In this case, then the responsibility would fall on the production team to know what they are really doing. Sometimes a positive, inclusive and tolerant attitude can be really harmful without true understanding of the real problem. Which is not an excuse to judge others, either.

To be honest, I don't have a clue about G5. I've only seen some promotional material and the first episode of TyT.

Also, you don't have to force yourself to like something you don't. In fact, an average reaction for an average show is completely fair. It is better to be honest than be falsely optimist, in my opinion.

We'll find out soon. The movie was good. TYT is very cool what bodes well for the upcoming series I think. I wish this generation all the best and keep my hoofs crossed. About disregarding [...] I think the bigger problem is that some people don't allow others to  think differently. Even if it is contrary to our belief. It was never a problem for me. Rather, I treat the opinion of others as an opportunity to get to know something new or deepen my current conviction. The most important thing is to have your own mind. Not forced and not manipulated. People who are free are great. And if someone attacks others because his thoughts, then he's their prisoner.

But back the point we are talking... I'm not sure if people want to hear about "these" problems.  Maybe it's important for younger audience (they are the real target at all lol) but for many it is rather a springboard from everyday life and a desire to break away from it. This is the main point. Not caused by time or place. A bond is natural. Social problems are artificial
and material. Escaping to/from modernity, paying attention to racism, tolerance, declassification and others like these will not attract attention to this show. People don't get into fictional worlds to face social flaws from reality which are not part of them. Or maybe they are but they don't want to be.  I think a lot of people have a problem with friendship. And many of them found in FiM what they really miss out of screen. I'm not saying that every pony fan is lonely, but we don't always have the friends we dream about. A lot of people are living into illusory relationships. They call themselves friends and bulls(@t like this despite being often aggressive and false.  They have to because they afraid of stay alone. And some part is really alone.  They found a type among the Mane which one they are or they found the type they want to meet in real life... however they have no such support or sense of security as they really need. :coco: I believe this is one of the most important reasons that people have become so attached to these characters. Everyone can find something for themselves here. Shy Flutter, confident Dash, smart Twilight, warm-heart Applejack, funny Pinkie or stylish Rarity... Lonely Luna, proud Celestia, rude Trixie and more more. :ButtercupLaugh:

Of course, FiM hits into problems too. So why do I doubt the new generation's chance when does it do exactly the same? Yeah, maybe both shows show some problems... but FiM was concerned with the timeless value of friendship. So in comparison, we have the timeless values of friendship and present modernity.
The result is obvious. These are two other streams. And if it goes too much towards friendship... then we will get a new FiM - but as we said before, it cannot be. The new generation has to do something of its own. But you're right, it's the role of production team. Our role is to have fun.:mlp_yeehaa: Anyway, I'm not saying it will fail or be bad. But it will be much smaller. And finally, it has to be shorter.

It may turn out that everything I say is a trash and the issues of the new generation will be better and attracting more people into. And the things we're talking about are just a wall that created by us in our conversation. But to be honest I don't believe it. Sometimes I don't even believe myself. But I believe in numbers. And the numbers say here that people feel a bit disappointed because of the new generation. I won't say that I don't understand them, but I think it's a bit early to judge it for good. Personally I see that "how to be good friend" sells better to everyone than "We are all the same" especially here.

Btw. Why haven't you stepped more into the G5 so far? Did you also watch the movie or just the first episode of TyT? I heard the opinion that the first episode was reeeally bad for many people. For me, too. But the Zipp's school, lost sunglasses, boxed Izzy and Tuesday were pretty fun. I'm just curious. :twi:

Edited by nataalya
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)
16 hours ago, nataalya said:

We'll find out soon. The movie was good. TYT is very cool what bodes well for the upcoming series I think. I wish this generation all the best and keep my hoofs crossed. About disregarding [...] I think the bigger problem is that some people don't allow others to  think differently. Even if it is contrary to our belief. It was never a problem for me. Rather, I treat the opinion of others as an opportunity to get to know something new or deepen my current conviction. The most important thing is to have your own mind. Not forced and not manipulated. People who are free are great. And if someone attacks others because his thoughts, then he's their prisoner.

But back the point we are talking... I'm not sure if people want to hear about "these" problems.  Maybe it's important for younger audience (they are the real target at all lol) but for many it is rather a springboard from everyday life and a desire to break away from it. This is the main point. Not caused by time or place. A bond is natural. Social problems are artificial
and material. Escaping to/from modernity, paying attention to racism, tolerance, declassification and others like these will not attract attention to this show. People don't get into fictional worlds to face social flaws from reality which are not part of them. Or maybe they are but they don't want to be.  I think a lot of people have a problem with friendship. And many of them found in FiM what they really miss out of screen. I'm not saying that every pony fan is lonely, but we don't always have the friends we dream about. A lot of people are living into illusory relationships. They call themselves friends and bulls(@t like this despite being often aggressive and false.  They have to because they afraid of stay alone. And some part is really alone.  They found a type among the Mane which one they are or they found the type they want to meet in real life... however they have no such support or sense of security as they really need. :coco: I believe this is one of the most important reasons that people have become so attached to these characters. Everyone can find something for themselves here. Shy Flutter, confident Dash, smart Twilight, warm-heart Applejack, funny Pinkie or stylish Rarity... Lonely Luna, proud Celestia, rude Trixie and more more. :ButtercupLaugh:

Of course, FiM hits into problems too. So why do I doubt the new generation's chance when does it do exactly the same? Yeah, maybe both shows show some problems... but FiM was concerned with the timeless value of friendship. So in comparison, we have the timeless values of friendship and present modernity.
The result is obvious. These are two other streams. And if it goes too much towards friendship... then we will get a new FiM - but as we said before, it cannot be. The new generation has to do something of its own. But you're right, it's the role of production team. Our role is to have fun.:mlp_yeehaa: Anyway, I'm not saying it will fail or be bad. But it will be much smaller. And finally, it has to be shorter.

It may turn out that everything I say is a trash and the issues of the new generation will be better and attracting more people into. And the things we're talking about are just a wall that created by us in our conversation. But to be honest I don't believe it. Sometimes I don't even believe myself. But I believe in numbers. And the numbers say here that people feel a bit disappointed because of the new generation. I won't say that I don't understand them, but I think it's a bit early to judge it for good. Personally I see that "how to be good friend" sells better to everyone than "We are all the same" especially here.

Btw. Why haven't you stepped more into the G5 so far? Did you also watch the movie or just the first episode of TyT? I heard the opinion that the first episode was reeeally bad for many people. For me, too. But the Zipp's school, lost sunglasses, boxed Izzy and Tuesday were pretty fun. I'm just curious. :twi:

I agree, too. With that... I mean, you write a lot.

But yeah, maybe it doesn't need to address any problem at all. They may as well not restore magic to their world, either. Why bother, really? After all. Isn't it all just a matter of perspective. Under this kind of skewed logic, you could practically justify anything, now that I think about it. And this is the state of the world. But as long as the "public" remains entertained, I guess they won't really care. And maybe that is what the public really wants. Something simple to watch. Sometimes to take their minds off the problem. Like FiM. Or more like FiM 0.3. Escapism, but kinda not...

Still, I believe it would be to waste the potential of that setting. Especially, because "the timeless value of friendship" is not an entirely realistic concept. Most people change friends all the time. I had friends who tried to exploit it me and manipulate me, also friends who abandoned me because I was moving out of their comfort zone, when they wanted me to stay in limbo with them. I have also abandoned friends because their moral values just made a 180° turn. Or just because we got bored of each other. So, I would rather have something that is more honest when it comes to represent reality. Some messages are so subtle, in fact, that people learn them without them knowing. So, they don't need to go out of their way too much. That is unless you are seeking to cultivate naive adults who are easy to manipulate. "Just look at the fake pictures of planet earth, for which we need funding with your taxes". "Oh no, 911..." millions of dollars disappear during the coincidentally simultaneous attack on the pentagon. "Ooops". I just hate this place... Do you understand? People are being played constantly. And good intentions alone won't take you very far. Especially, because you are made to believe you have your own mind. Which is not the same thing as having your own mind.

And this show is watched by impressionable people of all ages. So, I don't think it is a good idea to set false expectations for them. It is like with the "new age" movement where ignorant parents will tell their children they are special "star beings from another galaxies", only for them to get crushed by reality later on, growing into adults with massive cognitive dissonance and social maladaptive behaviour because the real world wasn't what they expected. I don't think you want a bunch of "adults" committing their lives to dissociation and daydreaming because they cannot handle reality anymore, after realizing "the timeless value of friendship" wasn't really there. And they are good friends in life, but things are not so simple. At least not for me.

And media does this all the time, setting false expectations, misrepresenting the nature of reality with narratives to distract and entertain without informing. Everything is made into a show in this clown world. But I digress. I just hope this generation does not fall within the average range of medioctrity and is then forgotten because it had nothing special of its own. Nothing to offer.

And yeah. It may be too soon to say. Or too late, already. Hahaha. But success is not just a matter of quality. You could sell any crap to people, as long as you make it look good enough, unfortunately. And there are other influential factors as well. Such as timing. Interests shift.

Also, I've been busy with other things. But I will get to watch the movie in time. As well as with the rest of G5. Also, you do not need to reduce the font size. Your wall is fine.

Edited by They call me Loyalty

• The title was changed to Will Make Your Mark (G5) be better than Friendship is Magic (G4)?