Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Are There Any Autistic Bronies Out There?

Stancet

From what I've seen, a large chunk of the fandom is autistic, myself included. I am a mental train wreck and I have more flaws than worthwhile traits, but I am quite unique, so that's a positive, I suppose. 

8 hours ago, Kyoshi said:

From what I've seen, a large chunk of the fandom is autistic, myself included. I am a mental train wreck and I have more flaws than worthwhile traits, but I am quite unique, so that's a positive, I suppose. 

I was once there. I was once a mental train wreck and flawed but I want you to feel encouraged that any person with autism can make it and live a happy productive life. I know because that's me. 

58 minutes ago, Stancet said:

I was once there. I was once a mental train wreck and flawed but I want you to feel encouraged that any person with autism can make it and live a happy productive life. I know because that's me. 

Me and you must be vastly different people then. I'm already a failure. I'm just trying to enjoy my life for what it is before it inevitably collapses. 

13 hours ago, Kyoshi said:

Me and you must be vastly different people then. I'm already a failure. I'm just trying to enjoy my life for what it is before it inevitably collapses. 

Hey Kyoshi. I'll give you whatever useful advice I can without going too far off topic, but first I want to point out that you must not think of yourself as a failure. I didn't know I had autism until I was 18. My parents only then took me to a doctor to help treat my anxiety, which only made it worse and paralyzed me for 6 months. I didn't even find my first job until I was 19 because nobody wanted to take a chance on a weirdo like myself. At 24 my family moved to another state and I lost every friend I had and all sense of security with it.

Did it turn around? Yes. After the trauma of that move I became a lot better at adapting to change. At 27 I finally discovered that my passion in life is building houses for a living. You wouldn't believe it if you knew how depressed and anxious I used to be. And now at 32 my hobby of drawing cartoons is now taking me to comic cons where I sell my stuff to lots of people. But the point is, don't ever allow yourself to give up. Of course, I'm not telling you that your life will turn around overnight but you have to learn now to take those baby steps one at a time.

Now, to get religious on you, I'm a firm believer that God has a plan for everyone's life. Any times in your life when you feel down and depressed are also worked into that plan. Going into more detail might be too far outside this forum topic but this is a truth I do believe and love to share with everybody.

• Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Me but it’s like the outer edge of the spectrum. It was labeled pdd-nos (pervasive developmental disorder not otherwise specified) before it was all placed under ASD. I have the fixations, the lifelong struggle with social interaction, the discomfort making eye contact…but I don’t have as many sensory issues as some. I hate balloons and am afraid someone will pop one and that gets me when it happens. Strobe lights and high pitched tones get to me. My eyes have to be more sensitive because I always get people wondering why it’s dark in the room and I’m like “it didn’t seem that dark to me”. 

I struggled making friends most of my life partly because of not knowing how and often wanting to be on my own. It’s partly why I was bullied so often. Even now I gravitate more toward the pets at family events. I’ve found it easier talking to people online where there’s no eye contact and no worries about sounding like a kid when I talk.

These days I’m mostly frustrated by my struggles with common sense and things other people figure out naturally. Like trying to do something mundane and not realizing things I should until it’s pointed out to me. And not getting instructions fully right if someone isn’t specific with me. 

I have ADHD and anxiety along with it.

• Brohoof 2

Asperger's here, though at current date it's defined as high-functioning Autism? Don't pay that much attention to it, really. 

I've worked on developing my social skills to the point where people can't tell that I have it unless I actually tell them, which is a lot of progress for sure over these past 6 years. 

It's a fun topic to discuss with my coworkers/colleagues, especially the ones who are still finding out that I have it. 

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...
On 2022-11-09 at 7:00 PM, Theautisticrebel said:

I got diagnosed with autism when I was 2.

I wish I was diagnosed that early. It would have helped me understand why I was different from everyone in my life. I was diagnosed at age 19.