Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How to Write a Strong Female Character...who isn't toxic and annoying

Ragland Tiger

Thanks for sharing this, and kudos to the youtuber who made it!

Those questions are important for just about any writer:

• What is the protagonist's internal conflict?  What does he or she want, and what is he or she afraid of?
  • What is the protagonist's clear goal, and why does it matter to him or her?
  • What is the protagonist's fatal flaw, and how does he or she overcome it throughout the story?

And I totally agree with how she ended it:  if the Captain Marvel writers had asked these questions, it could've been another great superhero movie!

Very true. People like her exist. And they deserve some representation as well. There was a girl like this who almost beat the crap out of me in school one day. Turns out his father often got drunk and violent with her and her mother. Which explains how often she presented herself to classroom with a black eye and the most imaginative excuses to disguise the fact that his father was "strong" and "toxic". Violent, aggressive, emotionless and dominant like many male animals tend to be, which is not a coping mechanism. It is nature. Which is to say an oversimplification of the human condition. There were also rumors of sexual abuse in her family going around town.
So, yeah. No reason to hate someone who is the result of... life. The degree of choice regarding the upbringing of a child is pretty limited, when you are at the mercy of your parents. So, make her as strong and toxic as you want. Make them even worse. Make them real. Because, strong and toxic people like her just exist, not because of stupid super hero powers, but simply because they needed to survive in a violent environment. In reality, which is something disney and hollywood have never been too good at portraying accurately, considering the insane amount of propaganda, political messages and blatant lies that go into these films.

Also, I have known women who were equally as violent and abusive as the father of this girl, within my family. Sometimes in a more subdued manner, resulting in sadistic punishments and sexual abuse towards their children. But still. You can see it is not a matter of sex. Excuse me... "gender". But it is something that is tied to the human nature, and sex, under all these layers of psychological conditioning and civil indoctrination one goes through in the "education" system.

Also, on the marvel topic. Black panther was a disappointment. There are so many things to learn about the negative influence of first world countries in destroying the stability of africa throughout history. As well as the brutality, tribalism, rape, kidnapping, drug trafficking and slavery conducted by african people, simply because of human nature.
I imagined this movie would be the rare of opportunity for a social call disguised under a facade of fiction, especially when I heard how well received it was. And then I tuned up only to see more disney garbage. "Misrepresenting reality since 1923". I still remember donald duck psychologically prepping kids to go die for their country when the population was growing too much or the country was becoming unsustainable. Now they just reduce the fertility of people with vaccines. Nothing has changed in the farm.

But, yeah.