Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

S01:E14 - Alicorn Issues

CastletonSnob

FINALLY, another Sunny episode!

Title: Alicorn Issues
Release Date: June 16th, 2022
Written By: Celina Frenn
Synopsis: When Sunny is unable to control her alicorn magic, the other ponies try to help her
Note:

• Brohoof 2

Another great episode! This feels like a proper development episode for Sunny as it really feels like she's the one who has been touched upon the least here (and it's weird that she says she feels stuck). Her alicorn powers are still a mess to handle and it seems like she's spent most of her time concentrating on keeping the races together and less on her own self.

In a sense that's commendable, but it shows that she really needs to focus on herself from time to time. And I like it that her power aren't fully solved yet, but she is getting there.

Overall; loved it!

• Brohoof 4

Another awesome Sunny episode!! Seeing Sunny figure out her Alicorn magic is so heartwarming because she realizes that she has to be herself and do what she thinks is right! And at the end when her Alicorn magic became whole… it was so awesome, because it shows that she has kind of figured it out, but she still has some work to do.

This might be my favorite episode yet now!

84D1D098-19AB-4112-8CFD-3652A6445F34.thumb.jpeg.341144542757b9b93ea5fe1f86505d71.jpeg

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Glitter magic is amazing. We are finally going to see skipped episodes between the movie and the special. I am not sure how it works.

Edited by RDDash
  • Brohoof 3

SUNNYYYY!!!  Another amazing episode, TYT is VERY MUCH growing on me a lot.

Watch, Sunny will once again become my favorite G5 pony.

Spoiler

Telling you now, I need to get a gif of Sunny exploding that giant wave. ;) 

• Brohoof 3

Kind of surprised people like this episode more than I do. I thought it was good, it just did not blow me away. Humor was mid-tier and I want them to stop reusing Let Out Your Light before I get tired of a great song. Character development for Sunny though is definitely something I can appreciate. And of course, I also appreciate how Hitch got to be the one to touch her heart towards the end. 

• Brohoof 1

9 minutes ago, CloudMistDragon said:

Kind of surprised people like this episode more than I do. I thought it was good, it just did not blow me away. Humor was mid-tier and I want them to stop reusing Let Out Your Light before I get tired of a great song. Character development for Sunny though is definitely something I can appreciate. And of course, I also appreciate how Hitch got to be the one to touch her heart towards the end. 

They must really like that song! 

• The title was changed to G05-TYT:S01:E14- Alicorn Issues (MLP: Tell Your Tale)
Moments ago, Savygriffs said:

I actually found that same gif earlier! :laugh:

Well, I made this one. Minutes of work down the drain. :P

---

We need a counter for how many times Izzy Moonbow has said "GLITTER!" in Tell Your Tale so far. 

(edited)

Well this certainly is interesting. I wonder why alicorn Sunny magic results in glitter though...

Also, just wondering, is Zipp's dangerous obstacle course inside the abandoned Canterlogic factory?

Edited by Skylight Scintillate
  • Brohoof 1

Hitch once again shows that he's a voice of reason and one who remains calm... In most situations. The other three did try their best to help only to have the situation become worse each time, but with hilarious results and some G4 nods in the form of Sunny's tiny wings. I appreciate Hitch opening up to Sunny and telling her that she needed to believe in herself and not worry about how the others are progressing with their own goals.

So her alicorn magic creates a huge amount of glitter? Well, if she wanted to be fabulous over using such magic, this kind of thing definitely works.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Quitters don't get glitter! :sneer:

Also, what if there will be an episode where the plot or subplot is about the Mane 5 struggling to care for Sparky, and at some point, Sparky ends up getting sick from eating Sunny's glitter?

Edited by Rosy Moonlight
  • Brohoof 1

2 hours ago, Partialgeek514 said:

I just have to wonder how they clean up all that glitter. The whole town will be covered in glitter if Sunny keeps this up! :ButtercupLaugh:

That will be Izzy's gig! Similar to Super Mario Sunshine. :orly:

• Brohoof 3

Once again, another fantastic TYT short! It’s really hitting its stride, and each short is a combination of both heart and growth. Sunny’s conflict, alicorn Magic aside, is down to earth. She wants to help others that she’s unsure how to help herself. This solution is a first step of the process.

• Brohoof 3

Well, that was something!

I didn't expect this sort of development for Sunny, nor that badass scene where she stopped that wave with her wing flash.

Are they implying she's an alicorn for good now, though?

• Brohoof 1

So...are they going for a Super Sayan reference with Sunny's transformations now?  Regardless, I'll take any development we can get for Sunny.  It's the best Sunny episode so far IMHO...although that's not saying a lot since the bar wasn't very high to begin with.  Still, I think this is one of the better episodes in this series...which also isn't saying a lot, but that's still more than I expected from a Sunny episode, so I'll take it.  I wouldn't call it perfect, or even fantastic...but I'll settle for decent or even, dare I say, good. 

Izzy's still a combination of annoying and useless, but at least she's not being a psychotic sociopath, so I guess that's an improvement.  Pipp being G5 Rarity isn't out of character for her, and I kind of knew she was being used as a character who starts the ball rolling, so her role checks out, even if she's being portrayed as a bit shortsighted.  Zipp turning to danger as her solution reeks a bit too much of the series trying to make her G5 Rainbow Dash IMHO.  If there's one thing I appreciate about her that sets her apart from being a poor man's Rainbow Dash is that she's more reserved, and more importantly, is more practical.  I don't think playing up her tomboy antics is entirely out of character, but she's being made out to be daft for the sake of the plot, and I wouldn't say that's entirely ideal.

My feelings about Hitch in this episode are conflicted, as I have conflicting views about him that may border on hypocrisy, and it's possible I've placed him in a corner where he can't truly win in my book.  With that said, I like that the episode plays up his down to Equestria, voice of reason side, and he's not part of some contrived gag at his expense.  However...I'm also feeling like he's sometimes played up as a bit of a Gary Stu, as he definitely has that kind of moment here, being portrayed as great with foals, and having at least the core of the solution, with it being hackneyed, "believe in what's in your own heart" type BS.  Overall though, I think it's positive as that moment plays on the subtle notion that this is somepony who has known Sunny her whole life and would know how to speak to her better than the others, much like how the Pegasus Sisters get one another on a deeper level than anypony else.  It even makes up for Hitch being left out of the episode until that point.  

So...overall, I'll definitely give this one a thumbs up.  It's just one thumb up for me, but given that this series rarely gets better than a sideways thumb for me (and frequently dips into thumbs down territory), this episode is a nice change of pace.  I still think Sunny is the most bland character of the Mane Five, but at least she's getting some semblance of development, so:

• Brohoof 1

I'd say it was one of the best TYT episodes yet.  A little danger, buildup, character development---overall, it just worked.

G5 has a long way to go if it wants to recapture G4's magic, though!

• Brohoof 3

On 2022-06-16 at 5:58 PM, Partialgeek514 said:

I just have to wonder how they clean up all that glitter. The whole town will be covered in glitter if Sunny keeps this up! :ButtercupLaugh:

I'm sure Izzy will find something to do with it

I thought this episode was pretty cute! Only thing I didn't like was when Izzy made fun of Sunny's baby wings! :unamused: Made me think of Flight to the Finish.

• Brohoof 1

This episode continues to make Sunny's Alicorn Powers more confusing. Questions like what triggers it or how much control Sunny has over are still don't have clear answers. Plus, now it seems like the powers can "half-activate," which hasn't been shown before now. Granted, the confusing nature of Sunny's powers may be intentional. Still, it almost seems like her Alicorn Powers were forced into the generation by Hasbro, and the writers themselves still don't really know what to do with the concept.

As for positives, I do appreciate more screen time and development for Sunny. Surprisingly, she hasn't been given many episodes where she is the central focus in TYT, so it is good to see her get some focus. I just really hope her powers get sorted out eventually, and that when they do they are handled in a way that doesn't negatively affect her character.