Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Sharing my songs

Sophie

Hey there! Since these are completed tracks, I moved them over to the Fan Music section. If you're ever struggling with brony music or need help with music, Vinyl's Creative Resources has an assortment of threads to help you out!

Say, would you like some feedback on these tracks?

Okay. Here goes. 

I think the one thing that limited the potential of these two pieces was that you used the exact same chord progression on both of them: vi-IV-I-V, knowing you're in the key of C Major. There are quite a few variations you can use of this progression. You can also expand this into an 8 chord progression, which I call this a canon progression (reference to Pachelbel's Canon in D), like this

I-iii-vi-ii-IV-I-ii-V

With this, you can build up to a climax. You can also stick a I-V-vi-IV in front of the vi-IV-I-V progression to make it an 8 chord progression. Once you get your progressions down, you can really expand your phrases and incorporate melodies that would develop and circle back to the theme. 

The biggest thing when it comes to composing orchestral music, even if you decide to fuse, is that you have to have a core theme, which is what keeps the piece going. Start with the core theme, deviate a little and then return to your core theme. The second time you play your core theme, it doesn't have to be exactly like the original theme. 

As far as the genre goes, the biggest weakness is that the rock pushes through too hard. It is not blending in with the orchestral part. Be careful with this because people may think that it's just plain rock with orchestral instruments for support. In other words, you need to bring out the orchestral part out more so that way there is a perfect balance between the genres. 

All in all, gotta be honest, these tracks need to be redone. They have the idea, but the limited use of chords and the unbalanced genres really did it in for you. Please don't be discouraged by my feedback, for no one is perfect, but we can strive to be the best we can be. :)

Holy crow!!! Sophie!!!

*happily trots in place and squees* What the heck are you doing here?!?!? 

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS, the people here are so wholesome and lovely. You will love it!!!

Edit to add: Oh! And just so you know.... *deep inhale of self importance and dignity, placing her hoof to her chest* People know me here to be -- THE ONE TRUE AND ORIGINAL ORB PONDERER!! My birth was heralded by only the most majestic of wizards, destined to simply.... ponder!

*gently deflates a little at the reality of the situation* Okay, maybe not so much but YES! You can ponder the orb here, too!!!!!!

Welcome :yay:

*Sophie's tail sways happily* I just wanted to get some things from the market and took a shortcut *Sophie giggle snorts*

Im pretty sure! And thank you c:

I am in no way expert when it comes to orchestral music (metalhead here, only one that listens to literally everything, but focuses on composing metal), but here are few cents from me. 

First of all I envy You for ability to write orchestral music, I always wanted to try mixing it with my own works, but (I think? xD) lack of keyboard prevents me from comfortably composing such pieces. Doing it with mouse and keyboards feels tedious to me :okiedokieloki:

I love the vibe Your music is giving away. Sunrise manages to capture how I feel now really well so it actually made me smile! :D

I would probably work on guitar tone a bit, but that is likely a personal preference - I like to make massive walls of sound with my guitar so... maybe it would not really fit Your vision here - take this with a grain of salt in that case ^^ 

I also have noticed the chord progression issue (with that being said I don't want to pass any judgement based on two songs alone) - I highly recommend experimenting with chords overall, You'll be surprised with what crazy effects will happen as soon as You start working with more unusual ones - it may be difficult at first as it will take You away from the comfort zone, but as person who tried that - it.is.worth.it. But that's about all I can say technicality wise - I am self taught and know very limited theory, working mostly with my ears, for now at least :blush:

Overall, despite the issues I've listed - I really enjoyed these! :D 

5 hours ago, Sir Hugoholic said:

I love the vibe Your music is giving away. Sunrise manages to capture how I feel now really well so it actually made me smile

Aww! Thank you so much, makes me so happy to read that :pinkie:

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, Sir Hugoholic said:

You're welcome! :D May I ask what software did You use to make the orchestra? 

I'm working currently with magix music maker since it's easy for me to use :)

Moments ago, Varnull said:

wow! These are incredible! :D

I really like the rock/orchestral balance. It adds a really great contrast in moments of your tracks. Very nice work!

Aww! Thank you :wub:

• Brohoof 1