Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What do you hate about living in your town?

Reecejackox

The roads. Like, come on, location... my poor mustang is buzzing like one of Fluttershy's buzzards trying to get around through here for a shop. This is why I prefer the city parts of New York but I would certainly not wish to drive around there! 

• Brohoof 2

Right now, I think my little village is overcrowded by people that don't want to live here. That alone gives it a vibe of "something being off". I love my home, but it destroys the mood when people just stay there because they have to.

• Brohoof 1

It sounds horrible to put it this way, but it’s the people (or at least a gross majority). People in this area are hive-minded lunatics who are so malleable that any stupid idea can be programmed into them without the slightest effort. However, as idiotic as many seem to be, they have an ingenious instinct for excluding anything even remotely intelligent from getting past their mental firewalls. It’s like they know the difference between smart and stupid, but only embrace the latter because the lowest common denominator is always easier.

• Brohoof 1

The overzealous barking of dogs whenever I have my window open on a hot day. Also the constant sound of cars passing by. The cars I can usually just pretend are calming ocean waves if I'm desperate enough to want to block them out. But the dogs are bloody annoying sometimes. I mean I love dogs. Just not when they are repeating the same bark over and over and over. At least the neighbour's chihuahua is good at letting me know when the postman is outside.

Lack of people to do "nerdy" things like DnD, Magic The Gathering and many other things I love. 

There were few, but all of them moved out as I live in a small town with little to no perspectives for professional career.

Also I don't like that our current mayor keeps "renovating" most of the town, by which I mean - cutting down trees and pouring concrete on everything. This is a beautiful town (and was even better) and it slowly starts looking like a glorified frying pan. I am all for parking places but 1. There were already plenty of them, 2. they should not come at the price of trees that kept the town cold during the summer. 

(edited)

It is regularly 95°F or higher in the summer, often over 100° with humidity, and I get heat exhaustion easily. And no open water swimming spots :/

The public transit is… an improvement over many American cities, but still largely an inconvenience due to the local jurisdictions’ bickering.

Rent prices are insanely high and just getting higher. $1600/month for one person is cheap.

Edited by SparklingSwirls

Everything's far apart and separated by busy roads. Crossing the street is dangerous for pedestrians because you have drivers who don't know the rules of the road and try to run red lights.

• 1 month later...

Ohhhhh where do I even begin?

• Lack of job opportunities.
    • I live in a rural area with virtually no job opportunities. Those lucky few with cars are able to commute elsewhere for work, meanwhile everyone else is either doing gig work or receiving government assistance to scrape by.
  • No public transportation.
    • If you don't have access to a car, you're stuck. We have no busses, no trains, nothing except for an expensive taxi company. Uber and Lyft don't even exist here.
  • Terrible Internet and Cell Service.
    • The Internet situation is going to improve thanks to fiber being rolled out, but cell service still remains a major issue here.
    • Lots of dead zones for all major carriers.
  • No entertainment.
    • There's nothing to do except walk around, maybe go for a swim or do some fishing, but that's pretty much it.

• 5 months later...
(edited)

Lack of resources, there are no behaviorists where I live so I had to go to Shepherdsville to go to group therapy, which I'm not saying it's bad, I'm glad that I get to get off from school early each Wednesday, but it's bad for the other kids like me who aren't in the same position as me.

Edited by Theautisticrebel

There just isn't really a lot to do here. The library and park is okay, but the shopping centre is usually pretty dead. Driving is also tedious because there are so many roundabouts. It's quiet at least and there usually isn't much trouble, which I guess is a fair trade off.

It’s too small and going shopping or doing most stuff requires going to the next town over outside of 7-11. We do have a good restaurant though.

Also the town’s main thing is a stone quarry. The town is always dusty and when they blast, the house shakes. Luckily we don’t live right next to it where it occasionally smells bad. And the quarry has a railroad stop so it’s way too common for stopped trains to block the main road.

Edited by Gale Wind

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...