Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

technology Need help with building new computer

Nightfall Veilwing

21 hours ago, -Solstice- said:

@Millennium Shadow

I do mean 128GB, yes. I am thinking you should use an SSD as a backup. And about Windows 11 - I don't understand what people have against it, it works perfectly for me.

Why would you want to use an SSD as the backup drive? HDD's are much more suited to sitting around doing nothing for extended periods of time (which is why most of the big MyBooks are HDD). SSD's are much more suited to being subjected to tons of read/write, which is why they're recommended for the system drive.

21 hours ago, Splashee said:

I got my computer back in 2013, dream setup, dual Nvidia cards, but the memory is still on the low side (just 4 GB), and I have been doing Blender, and Photoshop, and all kinds of advanced things even this year! It seems that you do need a lot of memory to really be able to work. And also, like the comment above, SSD drive is a -must have-, especially for the boot drive, but also if you are doing like 4K video and need to access stuff from disk.

That's surely going to send the cost of the PC waaaaay up. 4K is terribly expensive to do. You'd probably need a RAID system (for the benefit of OP, that's basically an array of hard drives sitting in a box, working together to form one wicked-fast giant hard drive), to store all the data, and some of those monsters can cost as much as the PC.

I haven't even tried to touch 4K yet, but my current hybrid gaming/media studio PC still puts a lot of strain on the hard drives, just from doing HD. @Millennium Shadow Unless you've got a really big budget, I wouldn't recommend 4K video, especially if you're just starting out with learning how to do this stuff. The data storage demands for 4K are just insane, especially once you start doing complex multi-layer composites.

I keep the SSD for system files and applications, and occasionally put media source files there if they're going to be accessed constantly. But the rest of the rig consists of four HDD's. Three of them I use to store various source files for the video projects. If I know certain files are going to be accessed simultaneously during playback or rendering, I'll spread those out across the three HDD's so the drives don't have to do extra work jumping back and forth (which slows everything down, and wears the drives out faster). The final drive is where I output the renders.

Sure, a bunch of big SSD's are preferable (if you can even find them), but if you're not running a professional studio, they're just not very cost-effective. SSD prices haven't come down nearly far enough yet.

A Western Digital Blue 4TB SSD costs $400.
A Western Digital Blue 4TB HDD costs $64.

• Brohoof 1

13 minutes ago, Millennium Shadow said:

This is the laptop I've had my eye on for a while: [LINK]

How accurate would you say that Macs are good for creative works? :mlp_ooh: 

"Page not found" D:

Macs are perfect for the work you want to do but I told you already that I don't have much experience with it since the programs I use are perfect for windows systems.

29 minutes ago, Sophie H. said:

"Page not found". 

Oops. Sorry. :adorkable:

Try it now. [LINK]
——————————————————————————————

29 minutes ago, Sophie H. said:

Macs are perfect for the work you want to do, but I told you already that I don't have much experience with it since the programs I use are perfect for Windows systems.

I do want the "perfect for creative works" qualities of a Mac for this Windows computer, but IDK how to do it, if it even can be done in the first place. :adorkable:
——————————————————————————————————————————————————

29 minutes ago, -Solstice- said:

I have a 2020 Skytech PC. It has survived quite well, but one of the fans broke, and it would make a loud grinding sound, so I had to take it out.
Upgraded to 32GB RAM and a new CPU cooler. I had a few moments where it almost died, though.

What a Skytech PC like? :sunbutt:

Moments ago, Millennium Shadow said:

What about the processor? I was thinking of going with a 5.0GHz processor (unsure of which brand), if not higher, is there is a higher, that is.

AMD Ryzen 5. No clue what the Hz is on this one.

2 minutes ago, -Solstice- said:

Works well for me! 

Glad to hear. :mlp_yeehaa:

Dunno if you've answered this or not, but do you know how/why Macs are good for creative works and how to get those qualities into a Windows 10 PC, if possible? :adorkable:

On 2022-07-25 at 2:55 AM, Millennium Shadow said:

Dunno if you've answered this or not, but do you know how/why Macs are good for creative works and how to get those qualities into a Windows 10 PC, if possible?

What an awesome question...... Windows 10 with enough RAM, enough CPU cores, and all the top programs, will get you everything you need.

Apple will give you everything you need for enough money (they choose how much, not the market). It will work.

3 minutes ago, Splashee said:

Windows 10, with enough RAM, enough CPU cores, and all the top programs, will get you everything you need.
Apple will give you everything you need for enough money (they choose how much, not the market). It will work.

So, does it really matter whether I use a Mac or a Windows computer for my creative works? :mlp_huh: