Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

private A Cultural Exchange (1x1 with Courageous Thunder Dash)

Illiad Easle

@Courageous Thunder Dash

Snipes looked thoughtful, "I've seen a few different cultures in regard to how they deal with death. The reindeer prefer to immortalize their dead, freezing their bodies in ice and placing the frozen body on a mountain such that it won't melt. Then one performs a pilgrimage every so often, climbing the mountain to renew any ice that thawed away and pay respects. The deer prefer to bury their dead and plant a tree over the body, such that the tree is nourished by the body, in a way serving as a rebirth for the one who died. The tree is remembered and revered by the family, and should it fall or need to be felled it is used to craft something useful for the family and inscribed with their name. The thestrals prefer to burn their dead, and remember them in oral histories, its a hallmark of their nomadic background. The Trojans don't really have a general way of dealing with their death, each family doing as they feel is right for their own dead, though there is the exception for those who die in a war. There's a place called the Dead Oasis where those creatures are memorialized, it's considered a high honor to be remembered there."

He sighed, "I'm sorry if that's not what you wanted to hear, I'm sure your parents are worthy of the highest honors that could be bestowed upon them, they sound like honorable creatures."

@Illiad Easle

"My dad...I have to thank him from the bottom of my heart. He knew that the Griffon King was overthrown and still, some griffons would hang on to the old ways of the griffon king. But he decided to settle in anyway, despite what others had said. My dad was an explorer, always wanting to find new lands and meet new ponies. My mother was a caretaker, looking after young fledgelings. My dad met my mom and they fell in love. My dad promised my mom he would take us all around Equestria and beyond to see the world...but...it never happened..." Chelsea said in a broken voice, letting a sob free. 

• Brohoof 1

@Courageous Thunder Dash

Snipes decided to remain quiet, figuring that what Chelsea needed most in this moment was someone to listen to her grief, since it sounded like she didn't often get, or choose, to talk about it with others. He took off his sunglasses despite the brightness of the room to remove that potential barrier, "It's okay, let it all out."

@Illiad Easle

The more Chelsea thought about it, the more pain she felt...and indeed, she let it all out, burrowing her face in her talons, sobbing hard. This was when Chelsea was the most vulnerable. Chelsea's parents meant everything to her, and it was always difficult for her to talk to someone about her parents. Chelsea could really use a hug or a cuddle at this moment...

@Courageous Thunder Dash

Snipes was far from a physically affectionate creature, reindeer didn't often show affection physically, and thestrals were more into roughhousing than cuddling to show affection, his experience with griffons had indicated that they preferred not to show weakness, and similarly roughhoused to show affection, but ponies... they were more inclined to physical presence for affection, maybe her pony side needed comfort more than her griffon side?

He was hesitant to approach, not wanting to offend her proud griffon sensibilities by acknowledging her insecurity. But he moved his chair over to be diagonal from her rather than across from her, close enough that he could put one of his small reindeer hooves on her shoulder. He didn't say anything, but he gently rubbed inasmuch as she would allow, and wouldn't stop her if she went to hug him.

@Illiad Easle

Indeed, Chelsea hugged Snipes...rather tightly, still sobbing quite a bit. All Chelsea needed was simply comfort and affection. It was always difficult for her to talk about her parents. The more detailed she went, the harder it would be for her to recover from one of these sobbing fits. 

@Courageous Thunder Dash

Snipes was not used to affection like this, and to be frank he found it uncomfortable to be so dominated by the much larger griffon, even if it was unintentional on her part.

He struggled a little bit, just to shift around enough that he could still breathe, "Could... you... not... crush... me... please?"

They were starting to attract the concerned gazes of the other patrons, but no one said or did anything yet.

@Illiad Easle

Chelsea was still sobbing, but loosened her tight hug on Snipes. She slowly started to recover, but was still sobbing lightly. Perhaps she could use a little more comfort from those around her. If there's one thing that Chelsea would wish for, was to see her parents once again. 

@Courageous Thunder Dash

Snipes still didn't really know what he could, or should, do to make this situation better, and luckily he was saved from his quandary when another pony entered the small establishment.

Ditzy Doo, as a pegasus, was capable of eating fish, but due to both of her daughters being unicorns (I subscribe that Amethyst Star and Dinky Doo are her daughters) and preferring muffins anyway she didn't often eat any. But every once in a while she had a craving for it and would swing by the shop on her way home from the mail route.

Her thoughts of food were pushed aside as soon as she noticed Chelsea there crying, immediately rushing over to wrap her in a big motherly hug, "Oh, Chelsea! What's wrong? Did this strange colt say something mean to you? For shame."

@Courageous Thunder Dash

Snipes was relieved when Ditzy came in to take some of the brunt of care off of him, allowing him to breathe deeply once again.

Ditzy reveled in the attention though and returned it with interest, rubbing Chelsea gently, "Oh muffin, it's all right. Nothing wrong with crying, and in the end you'll feel better. Already it's easier than it was, remember when you told me? You were inconsolable for a full day! And now? You've got your voice back in under an hour, I hope."

Snipes nodded at that, so Ditzy continued, "You're getting stronger, and I think your parents are very proud of you for that."

@Illiad Easle

"I miss my parents so much Ditzy...it's not as easy as you think...having to try and cope with the memories....I can't just forget about it...I know my parents are looking down at me from up above...it's just so hard to know that they're...gone forever..." Chelsea said still with a bit of a broken voice, slowly breaking the hug and wiping the tears from her face, looking at Ditzy and Snipes. 

@Courageous Thunder Dash

Ditzy had a kind smile as she kept up the comfort, "I know you do, but you're not alone. You always have me to talk to, and I'll listen."

Once Chelsea broke the hug, Ditzy pulled up a chair to join their table, "Now, why don't you introduce me to your new friend here? I haven't seen them around town before, are they from that exchange thing I've been hearing so much about?"

@Illiad Easle

"Th-this is Snipes. We met when we both registered for this cultural exchange program. Following my father's footsteps, he wanted me to explore beyond Equestria and the Griffon Kingdom. That's what led me to enrolling and meeting Snipes." Chelsea explained to Ditzy. 

@Courageous Thunder Dash

Snipes nodded at Chelsea's introduction, Ditzy smiled, "It's good to meet you Snipes, you're not from Equestria then? Where are you from?"

He nodded again, "Well, I was born in Cervidas, but I'm living in Troy now."

"Oh! I've been to both of those places! Well, a long time ago, but isn't that interesting?" She turned her attention back to Chelsea, "So what have you shown and told him so far? Or were you just starting?"

@Illiad Easle

Chelsea's jaw dropped. "Wait what?! You never told me you've been out of Equestria Ditzy!" Chelsea exclaimed still with a surprised look on her face. "Well...this is really our first stop. I haven't shown Snipes that much yet. Tomorrow will be a whole different story." Chelsea said winking at Snipes. 

@Courageous Thunder Dash

Ditzy chuckled, "I had a life before I moved to Ponyville you know, I wasn't always just a mailmare." She turned her attention back to Snipes, "Well, I'd hate to spoil any surprises, I hope you enjoy this town as much as I have."

She gave Chelsea a parting hug before going to get her own food. Snipes raised an eyebrow at Chelsea's wink, but turned his attention back to the food in front of him, it was still good despite having cooled a bit, "So then, what do you have planned tomorrow? Or do you intend for it to be a surprise?"