Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Starswirl’s spell & Flurry Heart’s destiny?

ManaMinori

For the longest time, I have wondered about this- did Starswirl the Bearded's unfinished spell, seen in Magical Mystery Cure have much longer and farther reaching effects than on the scene of Ponyville, and the Mane 6? Namely, did it have an effect on the pony we know now as Flurry Heart, and her also becoming an alicorn- not by any sort of natural birth through Princess Cadance and Shining Armor, but rather, through somepony else's stolen or altered destiny? Let me try to explain....

Okay, so during MMM's episode, we see Twilight learning of Starswirl's unfinished spell, and immediately begins to recite it with little regard or knowledge of the repercussions it could- and did- bring upon doing so. "From one to another, another to one. A mark of one's destiny singled out alone fulfilled," This spell succeeded in changing more than just a simple cutie mark switch, but the very elements of harmony, and altered the mane 6's true selves- their destinies. 

It is later revealed in this episode that Twilight is able to complete the spell with the following text: "From all of us together, together we are friends. With the marks of our destinies made one, there is magic without end." But before that could happen, I am left to wonder just how far of an impact did this unfinished spell have, when Starswirl himself attempted to use it, in practice and attempts to complete it? What ponies could this spell have impacted, and most importantly, how far into the future did the effects of this spell truly reach? Or whose lives and destinies could've been altered beyond her friend's own, when Twilight herself recited this unfinished spell, in present day? 

I think that one destiny this spell could've succeeded in altering was the future Flurry Heart. Not only would this lend a hand....or hoof...in explaining why this pony was born an alicorn, when the birth of one had not occurred since before the very founding of Equestria (especially from a Unicorn father, and originally a Pegasi mother). Although we see from the examples of the Cake Twins, Pound and Pumpkin, that the resulting offspring between different species of parents could indeed be quite complicated, I find it quite difficult to simply explain a way this alicorn offspring between a base unicorn and base Pegasi parent, originally, as simply "it's complicated", as Mr. Cake did. And I highly doubt that in Cadance's case, a spell altering her bilological makeup would succeed in causing Alicorn genes to become dominant within her DNA to where it becomes the default that is passed to her offspring. I find it suspect that when official media, such as The Journal of the Two Sisters, for example, mentions Starswirl's exploits involving the mastering of hundreds of complex spells, such as the one involving cutie marks, it is usually followed by the additional mention of time/space travel soon thereafter. 

So that then begs the question- it this spell of Starswirl's (whether recited by him in the past to have lasting implications in the far distant future, if (and very likely) left unchecked by remaining unfinished and unrefined, or by Twilight in the present to have an effect on the future as well) had such an effect in switching destinies, for Flurry to eventually be born as an anomaly alicorn Princess through it, then whose destiny could have been stolen/ swapped with hers? 

I suspect that the pony whose destiny got swapped with Flurry Heart's may have been the drastically ignored and overlooked toyline pony, named Star Dreams. If one were to put these ponies together in a side by side comparison, you would note that they look nearly identical, if not the spitting image of each other.....This, of course, means that perhaps this pony was meant to become the Alicorn that Flurry Heart was born into through Starswirl's spell. There are many reasons as to why this might be- first, we have to look at the toyline in order to see why. 

This pony named Star Dreams made her first debut in a "Sweet Slumbers" set with Applejack. This came on the scene in 2011/2012. Then, in 2013, she came back in the :Cutie Mark Crusaders & Friends" set. Once more, she reappeared in 2014, in the Rainbow Power: Pony Spa Set, with Rarity and Rainbow Dash. While virtually no information is given, even as a backcard blurb, as some blindbags have done, on this pony, I am led to believe that Hasbro might have had big plans for this toyline exclusive pony, for her to appear a total of 3 times in the toyline as a brushable figure, when most other background ponies don't typically get such treatment. Additionally, for her to be included in a set where (along with the CMC), she is the only pony who is lacking a cutie mark seems highly suspicious. Even moreso when you take into account that she is also in a rainbow power set, that is an effect that the mane 6 themselves received, in the show's episode. Very few toyline ponies that were not the Mane 6 had been packaged in a Rainbow Power packaging- namely, Princess Cadance, Princess Sterling, Princess Gold Lily, Princess Celestia, Nurse Redheart Cheerilee, Daisy Dreams, Mrs. Cake, and Holly Dash. There are quite an impressive number of alicorn ponies- including two that have never been seen before until now, in this Rainbow Power themed release.....

So could this Star Dreams pony have originally meant to be an alicorn, if her destiny had not been swapped with Flurry Heart's? Was this what Hasbro had been building up to with this character that had been only a toyline pony, only to scrap the idea, or perhaps alluding to and continue it through the animated series when Flurry Heart had been born? Given the many mysteries that still continue to surround Starswirl, his legacy, space/time travel, this largely obscure toyline pony, along with Flurry Heart herself, one can never truly say for certain if this is really meant to be the case.  

It does prove rather curious, and further begs the question how one might explain the influx of alicorns during the rainbow power arc of g4…Not just in the toyline, but also in the show itself- as we see many more background ponies (specifically in the key episodes (Rising Star- Rarity Takes Manehattan/ Rarity- Pinkie Pride/ Lemon Hearts- Rainbow Falls)

Although there is, in my opinion, enough evidence to provide such an hypothesis. But what do each of you think? Was Star Dream's alicorn destiny basically stolen through the far reaching effects of Starswirl's original unfinished spell?

That's quite an interesting theory there. However, there isn't much evidence to prove that the spell altered anyone but the Mane 6. Nopony else swapped Cutie Marks or destinies during the show unless it was done intentionally (ie, Starlight swapping Celestia and Luna's Cutie Marks). I can see though how Star Dreams would be the more likely candidate for Cadance's foal than Flurry, though, going off of looks alone. I still think that the whole Alicorn thing was a marketing decision in the end, and it had nothing to do with spells or curses.