Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you think G5 is as good/better/worse than G4? Why?

Vinyl Scratch.

Feel free to merge this if the question has already been answered. I didn't look too hard for similar threads :please:

In your opinion do you think that G5 stands up to the force that was G4?

I'm curious as to why you have come to your conclusion, and what you think G5 did better or needs to improve upon in relation to G4.

I stopped watching G4 at about ep 100 and have not engaged with G5 so I know literally nothing about it.

• Brohoof 1

Personally I prefer G4.

It is all purely subjective opinion, but the show felt more light hearted with less of modern technology. It felt like a bit of an escape from modern world that often feels like a rat race, where You get little to no chances to simply lay down, relax, read a book and enjoy the nature around You.

Mane 6 felt more relatable to me, Fluttershy's presence in some ways was therapeutic to me, helping me understand that there's nothing wrong with my own personality. It again is subjective as every person related to a different pony and I am more than happy for those, who have found themselves in G5's mane 5 ^^

I loved the general message of G4. Sure, some may say "these were obvious", but that's not the point. Children are yet to learn some of these things and adults often forget them, caught up in challenges of every day life. No matter how obvious they are, we needed them too. Well, I definitely did. 

And the last thing - I very much prefer 2D style of G4 as it gives the fandom more freedom to play with it and to me personally simply feels way more fun to watch. I adored G5 movie on Netflix, but at the same time it did not feel quite the same. 

• Brohoof 5

I don't see any point where the G5 is better. The series starts in September, maybe it will change something. So far, history has been repeatable at every possible step (in the game, in the special and in the movie), the world is small and closed. These are big steps backwards. The animation is terrible at times. Although I heard that there was a lot of pressure that the first special had to be released before it was finished (I'm talking about technical side). I also have a problem with characters. Maybe it's because I found some patterns in the G4 and the G5 doesn't repeat them with the new manes. For example - If anyone liked the kidness and shyness of Fluttershy - won't find it here. If anyone thinks they'll find at least some of Twilight's wisdom in Sunny - will be disappointed. Because comparing Sunny to Twilight is like taking the clown and Hawking in the same row. I don't know if there is any Alicorn in all generations that as stupid as Sunny is. Probably not. And to tell you the truth, Sunny probably isn't Alicorn at all. She is an earth pony who has a specific kind of magic, different from the others. I liked her and she was a cool character. But in TyT she it has one goal - to speak simplicity that every child can write. You have to keep thinking that Sunny is good just at being Sunny.
So basically, Sunny loses the title of the stupidest Alicorn of the entire franchise. She is an above-average earth pony.

If you haven't seen the G5 so far, you haven't lost anything. And if you've watched the first 100 FiM episodes, you'll probably feel like me and wonder how they could screw up such a good show.  Maybe the next 100 episodes would explain that to me in G4. Idk. :ButtercupLaugh: Let's wait for the series. For now, there are not enough things to judge the entire generation, but if we are going to judge what has been so far, it is very bad and poor. At least for me.

Edited by nataalya
  • Brohoof 1

2 hours ago, Vinyl Scratch. said:

In your opinion do you think that G5 stands up to the force that was G4?

I'm curious as to why you have come to your conclusion, and what you think G5 did better or needs to improve upon in relation to G4.

G4 is the stand out of the MLP series. It has far better reviews and acclaim than any other generation media. Faust's general competence and bold vision, combined with a strong music team and the improved animation, VAing and character focus that was a highlight of G3 came together to make something that surprised a lot of adults (non-bronies and bronies). I would compare it with the absolute brilliance that is Peppa Pig :P 

G5 is sweet, and stillhas the characters and things, but only the movie had the strength of VAing, music and story to compare with FiM for me (although Tell Your Tale has been pretty fun).

• Brohoof 1

It's pretty comparable to g1 or g3 to me, which isn't a complaint- but I do think FiM is better, as it played with more complicated stuff than prev. gens, such as addressing Applejack's parents. I'm really enjoying g5, I think it's fun and I'm personally looking forward to more! But that's how I feel, for now

I think it's less about "g5 has to top g4" and more "g4 couldn't last forever, so let's try to be optimistic about the future of MLP" :P

• Brohoof 4

It's like having your parent constantly brag about your older sibling's success at a top company when you've just turned old enough to work. 

3 hours ago, Vinyl Scratch. said:

Feel free to merge this if the question has already been answered. I didn't look too hard for similar threads

This thread, which asks the same question in essence, "What do you think of G5 compared to G4 so far?", is a hot topic. We also have this thread. 

Don't take this as me being mad. I just have a sinking feeling that I'm not the only one who feels that this constant "G4 is so much better than G5!/But it's too early to tell!" discussion is growing redundant. I'm tired of repeating myself saying that we can't do a fair comparison yet between a new generation and something that's been out for a decade. Can we please just at least let the first season of Make Your Mark officially premiere first? 

• Brohoof 3

FiM has already built itself a cult following, it came out over 10 years ago. MyM/TYT are less than a year old. We never necessarily "have to let go" of FiM, but we do have to accept that was a previous era of our lives, and if we spend all our time stuck in the past we won't get to enjoy the new era. The characters in gen.4 are absurdly better and more well rounded, you get a much more down Earth feel with the personalities in FiM and less of a strictly hipster/zoomer/trendy feeling, you know the kind of feeling you get from the mane 5 in MyM/TyT. However my favorite gen 5 characters are Pipp and Izzy, it is a refreshing change to see the unicorn as kind of "an airhead, pretty goofy" but it kind of fits into the "lol so random!" humor that young kids like today. (Keep in mind TyT is written by the same woman writing PJ masks and Peppa Pig.) We may have had this in Pinkie in FiM but Pinkie had a lot of complex themes, about abandonment, jealousy, family, she just also was good to make the young ones laugh...I would be "insanely biased" to point out everything "i feel" is better about FiM seeing as it's literally my favorite show, as it is a large population of these forums favorite show. It's had more time to create it's identity, and yes even though FiM may have had a hypnotic and welcoming first impression one that some of us will NEVER forget, (and I'm VERY glad about this, ppl still making FiM content in 2022, makes me smile ). You "can't just judge a book by its cover." So I've been keeping up with g.5 , didn't think the movie was "to woke", the earth ponies have definitely been busy lol.. but I really don't like how modernized they have made Equestria, it just feels like a different Equestria.. I mean "it is" this is "the future" but there's just a lot left to the imagination, before we left g.4 it took the friendship and fidelity of "every creature" to save Equestria, g.5 starts and the ponies have even been separated for quite some time, no windigos? no horrible winter? Seems like everypony was able to manage despite the lore we know, and distrust/prejudice finds itself a recurring theme in g.5 like even just in TyT children argue over not allowing unicorn magic on the beach, or blaming pegasi for purposefully falling out of the sky and harming other ponies, and earth ponies that don't want unicorns using their magic initially, Until unlocking their own full potential (I don't mind the new Earth pony magic personally) I just think making earth ponies able to be alicorns and use magic, takes away from what makes ponies like AJ so special. Now we can take away "alicorn logic", Flurry's born an alicorn, cozy can become an alicorn whenever she touches a magic bell, Sunny has some unexplained alicorn friendship magic that comes and goes, these weren't unicorns that merely sprouted wings, one was a pegasi that grew a horn.. so FiM was always unclear about alicorn irregardless...

If you haven't seen g.5 I'd say, if you like cute things, and obviously ponies, give it a watch it's alright... But imho, it's not fair to hold it up to g.4 for MANY reasons, it wouldn't be fair to compare g.4 to almost anything else we watch because it's our favorite show, it's what had me traveling hundreds of miles to conventions, and splerging on merch, and what ultimately lead me here. I am in love with My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. It's no mystery, but I am giving g.5 a chance HOPING I'll get as attached to some of these characters the way I did, Starlight, Twilight, Applejack, Apple Bloom, Discord, Trixie, and I loved Thorax and Pharynx, they just incorporated SO MUCH personality into FiM and I just dont know if any children's show will do it in the same way that FiM once did..:(

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

I'll be honest, when starting this thread I thought that G5 had already begun and that more material had been released. That is my mistake for not doing any research before posting. :please:

Thank you all for your replies. I've enjoyed reading them, and it has given me some good insights into the current perception of G5. As I now know there is another very similar thread to this one as advised above by CloudMistDragon we should probably move the discussion  over in that direction  :)

Edited by Vinyl Scratch.
Found out I can't close my own thread
  • Brohoof 3

Still too early to tell for me. I have not had the time to watch through all of TYT yet, but I can say that G4 is leagues better simply because it has that nostalgic element to it. 

• Brohoof 2

• 1 month later...

I can't really say. Not yet. G4 has overwhelmingly more content. TYT is fun but it's nothing too special. It's just a series of shorts and the closest equivalent in G4 is Pony Life. I don't go out of my way every time a new episode premieres. Not like FIM, which was a routine every weekend while a new season was airing. The movie felt fresh, but I think the MYM series will be the true test for whether or not G5 can match G4

• Brohoof 2

I would say G4 because I just feel like I haven't clicked with the characters in G5 like I have in G4. Also, I think that one of G5's problems is that they link it to G4, but the way the idea could have been better executed. Currently, it feels like G5 is in a limbo land where they want it to be related to G4, but they can't be bothered to keep the plot consistent...

• Brohoof 2

It's too early to label an entire generation better than the previous. But for me personally, I'm not too into G5 as compared to G4 of My Little Pony. 
I want to to like G5 and I sure enjoy and really appreciate the new generation movie, but everything that's came afterwards has been a big stick in the mud and 
I feel like it's just trying to continue the legacy of G4 with themes and writing practically the same. 

• 5 weeks later...

I'm not going to set my expectations too high. But if it's more along the quality of the Netflix movie then I'll be satisfied. It looked really good for being 3D and was a joy to watch overall.

• 1 month later...

Media wise I enjoy G4 and G5 pretty equally, they're both fun in their own right and bring fresh ideas to the table. Sunny and Twilight are both very important to me so I cannot say I prefer one gen's show over another.

When it comes to merchandise though, dear Celestia I'm starting to detest G5, why does everything look so bad?? It's like they looked at the budget brushables from G4 and went "yeah, we can release those at full price"!! Agony. :scoots:

• 2 months later...

I definitely prefer FiM over G5

Don't misunderstand me: Im not saying G5 is  worse than G4 and I really loved the G5 movie.

FiM started very slow and just grew.. The first couple of episodes are good with episodes 9 it starts to get really good and starting with s2 it gets even better. While there have been some disappointments later in the show I think FiM starts small and just  build and build and gets better with time.

G5 started big. The movie was really well done (not perfect, but good). But after the movie it never built up for me. In contrast changing the voice actors, reducing the quality of the cgi (what was suspected to be sure) and the story not really having any heights (at least from what I have seen) in Make your Mark. Though I think it is still good show and taping in many similar things (or at least trying) as FiM. But I just feel that is not my MLP anymore. While the journey through FiM seemed to never end for me (while I was watching it the first time) Im really aware of the time I spent with a G5 episode.

I definitely will keep the G5 movie in rewatch because I like it. For the G5 cgi show  it is really unlikely that I will rewatch what I have seen but I will stay open for it: Maybe there is still the best to come ?
Regarding the youtube "Tell your tale" show .. similar to "Pony Life " I wont explore that since this is really not what I cherished in MLP.

I don't thin G5 can currently compete with G4 for me.

• Brohoof 2

2 minutes ago, Astral Soul said:

I definitely prefer FiM over G5

Don't misunderstand me: Im not saying G5 is  worse than G4 and I really loved the G5 movie.

FiM started very slow and just grew.. The first couple of episodes are good with episodes 9 it starts to get really good and starting with s2 it gets even better. While there have been some disappointments later in the show I think FiM starts small and just  build and build and gets better with time.

G5 started big. The movie was really well done (not perfect, but good). But after the movie it never built up for me. In contrast changing the voice actors, reducing the quality of the cgi (what was suspected to be sure) and the story not really having any heights (at least from what I have seen) in Make your Mark. Though I think it is still good show and taping in many similar things (or at least trying) as FiM. But I just feel that is not my MLP anymore. While the journey through FiM seemed to never end for me (while I was watching it the first time) Im really aware of the time I spent with a G5 episode.

I definitely will keep the G5 movie in rewatch because I like it. For the G5 cgi show  it is really unlikely that I will rewatch what I have seen but I will stay open for it: Maybe there is still the best to come ?
Regarding the youtube "Tell your tale" show .. similar to "Pony Life " I wont explore that since this is really not what I cherished in MLP.

I don't thin G5 can currently compete with G4 for me.

I generally agree with you, although I think Tell Your Tale is much better than Pony Life (it's still not great though).

• Brohoof 2

1 minute ago, Silly Druid said:

I generally agree with you, although I think Tell Your Tale is much better than Pony Life (it's still not great though).

To be clear: I do not want to compare Tell your Tale with Pony Life or even rank them against each other.
I have not enough information or opinion about it to be able to do that
Im just saying: That both shows are not something Im interested in. Both lie in the set of uninteresting MLP shows for me. 

• Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...

MLP G4 is better to me personally, partly due to the nostalgic value and rewatchability it has. G5 has the potential to be better than G4 if the new writers are actually adamant about making it a good series, but only time will tell whether or not they follow through with a better series or not, only time is going to tell. G5 isn't worse but rather inferior in better terms if that makes sense. 

Not a fan of smart phones and that stuff, so G4 is better. 3D isn't helping G5, and neither is the 2D designs themselves.

G4 was already on a downhill slope after Lauren Faust got kicked out, and I don't see G5 getting back on track. There is nowhere to take G5, and because the past is connected to G4, it doesn't help the world or character development. G5 has no good direction.

G4 wins.

• Brohoof 1

I feel like what makes Gen 5 "worse" than FiM is the release schedule for new Gen 5 content feels pretty random and like you have to really

know where to look in order to find new content. 

Edited by Sparklefan1234
  • Brohoof 1

My preference is definitely for G4.

Although I really enjoyed the G5 movie and felt a lot of initial promise of what could follow. I just haven't been able to become invested in G5. Mostly because of the setting and lack of substance to the characters compared to what they were like in the movie. It just hasn't inspired me like G4 did. G4 was like a window into this brilliant little world full of character and life. It was something for the imagination to play with and everyone who was invested in the show built these unique connections with it. Like with the ponies that were their intially just to literally be there in the background. Look how they inspired people to imagine their names and different backstories. There was just so much to enjoy with G4.

Only thing that G5 has inspired me with is the crreation of a luddite earth pony OC that flushes phones down toilets.

• Brohoof 1