Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Ditzy in the front vs. Derpy in the back

Shadow Chaser

42 users have voted

1. 1. Would you rather have Ditzy Doo as a foreground pony with her eyes straight and speaking lines, or Derpy Hooves in the background, always smiling, never speaking?

• Ditzy Doo in the front
    • Derpy Hooves in the back

(edited)

*Here's hoping I did the poll right...

Anyway, I've had this thought for a few days now and I can't really decide. I liked seeing Derpy as a character. I thought for being as clumsy as she was, she was still a sweet pony. She's always been like Pinkie for me. She might be a little out there from time to time but her heart is in the right place.

So my question to you.

Would you rather have Ditzy up front with a speaking roll and all the corrections to her model as canon?

OR

would you rather have Depy in the background, ever smiling and silent with her derp eyes and forever fanon fodder?

Do not belittle or berate anyone for their opinions on this. Because an opinion can be shared and judged but never changed. And really, it's a cartoon, it's not worth arguing about.

Edited by Shadow Chaser

I consider them both the same character.

That being said, I think they should combine them making her Ditzy "Derpy" Doo, leaving her original eyes, fixing her voice but better this time around than the craptastic remake they gave her (since the original was a mistake in the first place, knowing this bothers me.), and give her a few lines every-so-often.

That's a pretty good idea. I'd definitely like to keep the crossed eyes. That's kind of her defining characteristic. (And the completely unique cutie mark.) haha I wish they hadn't been forced to change her. I'd never made the connection between derp and anything offensive until I saw the news report of why they changed her. Things are just so darn politically correct these days.

And her voice definitely would need an overhaul. The tacked on one in the edited episode was a complete no-go.

I've always prefered the name Ditzy Doo for our beloved grey, wall-eyed pegasus, but I don't think that they should change who they made her out to be. I too found the name Derpy to be a little offensive, but I see no reason for a voice change because of that. If everything was up to me, they would preserve her voice and role, add her in more episodes as a bi-character and just give her the less offensive name of Ditzy Doo.

I really loved our derpy. She wasn't offensive, how is having a character that tries her hardest despite being clumsy offensive? It just proved that she is equal to any other pony And should have been treated as an example for people.

(in fact, wouldn't that make a rather good letter to princess Celestia?)

I hate the way they were forced to change her just because of some stupid regulations and a couple of complaints.

The 'new' derpy was nowhere near as good as the old one. - Our old derpy was a fan-made masterpiece of a character and she will live on in our hearts forever, no matter what her position in the show (if any!) is.

I really loved our derpy. She wasn't offensive, how is having a character that tries her hardest despite being clumsy offensive? It just proved that she is equal to any other pony And should have been treated as an example for people.

(in fact, wouldn't that make a rather good letter to princess Celestia?)

I hate the way they were forced to change her just because of some stupid regulations and a couple of complaints.

The 'new' derpy was nowhere near as good as the old one. - Our old derpy was a fan-made masterpiece of a character and she will live on in our hearts forever, no matter what her position in the show (if any!) is.

The way Derpy acted was nowhere near offensive, but the actual meaning of her name is actually offensive. The problem is the connection of the two, she was clumsy, but with the meaning of "Derpy" behind it, suddenly she's actually a symbol of something else.

Derpy is an internet slang used to describe something as retarded. I'm not saying that our Derpy Hooves is that, but with that name and the given actions in "The Last Roundup" it's easily interpretated that she could be mentally challanged, which a group of soccer moms found extremely offensive.

I've never liked the name Derpy because I knew what it meant like this, and I think the name Ditzy is much cuter.

The way Derpy acted was nowhere near offensive, but the actual meaning of her name is actually offensive. The problem is the connection of the two, she was clumsy, but with the meaning of "Derpy" behind it, suddenly she's actually a symbol of something else.

Derpy is an internet slang used to describe something as retarded. I'm not saying that our Derpy Hooves is that, but with that name and the given actions in "The Last Roundup" it's easily interpretated that she could be mentally challanged, which a group of soccer moms found extremely offensive.

I've never liked the name Derpy because I knew what it meant like this, and I think the name Ditzy is much cuter.

Fair enough, I see how people could see it that way, but does everyone have to be so darn sensitive all the time? If we keep this up future TV shows are going to have dull, un-opinionated characters with no personality because someone, somewhere might find it 'offensive.'

Plus it wasn't the name I was talking about so much as the crossed eyes. (I mean really? Crossed eyes are used for cartoonic purposes in many shows, as are clumsy characters for comedic effect.)

Personally I'm not bothered about the name, as long as she's there with her ORIGINAL personality, I'll be happy.

100% so far for Derpy in the background. 10 votes all to it.

I have to agree with the posters here so far, I don't care what they call her, Derpy or Ditzy. I just want the pony we all love, the crosseyed, clumsy, loveable pony that tries her hardest.

Well she's always been a background pony before, so it's fine with me if she stays there, as long as she keeps showing up in funny places that is(no doubt about that). :lol:

Derpy is a symbol, and an important one at that. Though to me it doesn't matter too much if she is the background or the foreground. No matter what they name her, she will always be Derpy Hooves. She could be sitting front and center and be called Ditzy Doo, but she will be Derpy even if they change her eyes. Though for many reasons it is probably best that she stays in the background as an enigma, because it is a familiar place. One that is probably the safest.

• Brohoof 1

I prefer her as a background character. I don't really see a huge need for her to become a foreground character, and it's definitely not worth it at all if she has to loose her derpy eyes in the process. Without her eyes like that, she's just not the same lovable character.

(edited)

I was really for Derpy up front. I thought it was a nice shout out to the bronies from Hasbro. They've done a few things for us but actually naming the character something that was only fanon was a pretty big deal. I honestly think the worst part about them changing her name is that the writer of that episode has a mentally handicapped son and even she didn't find it offensive until someone complained about it. Here's a part of an email she sent in response to the Save Derpy campaign.

Now, you have to realize that reading that made my heart sink. My son Soren (of Soarin’ fame) is severely disabled. We do not use the word “retarded” in our house because it really has become an offensive slur. And while I knew that it was only a minority of people that defined “derpy” this way, it still upset me that I was the writer that put that name out there. It was painfully ironic and goes against the fact that I’m an advocate for the disabled.

I think it really speaks to the integrity of the character when the person writing it is an advocate for the disabled but didn't necessarily find it offensive (at first).

Honestly, I'm all for the show calling her Ditzy but I think the crossed eyes and clumsiness are something that should remain. Having crossed eyes doesn't make you mentally challenged but it might make you a bit clumsy. As long as you try your hardest to do your absolute best then everything is okay. I really would like to see an episode on her. I think it would make a good letter to Celestia. Besides, whatever her name on the show I think she'll always be fanon as Derpy.

Edited by Shadow Chaser

I honestly have never used the word "derpy" in anyway meaning mentally challenged or retarded (coming from a guy who frequently uses words to mean different things purposely when talking to close friends jokingly of course). I didnt even know that was one way it could be used until I looked up all the Derpy Hooves stuff. Anytime I say a variation of derp, its to mean something that happened that should have been avoided with ease. Like me losing my phone after laying it down literally five seconds ago, and then looking for it for about a half hour only to find it in the same spot I laid it.

Either way, im fine with whatever they do, if they bring her out then hopefully they leave the eyes at least. And if they leave her in the background then thats ok to.

• Brohoof 1

Honestly, I'm all for the show calling her Ditzy but I think the crossed eyes and clumsiness are something that should remain.

Exactly what I was thinking ^^

I find it more fun spotting her in the background than I do seeing her in the spotlight.

Its better(and funnier) when she's randomly in the middle of a big scene, rather than if she's helping the plot go along.

There could be a little of both =P

I honestly have never used the word "derpy" in anyway meaning mentally challenged or retarded. I didnt even know that was one way it could be used until I looked up all the Derpy Hooves stuff.

I'm the exact same. I never thought it meant anything mean. For me it was the new age expression of a blonde moment. I guess it's all perspective. Anything can be offensive if you look at it just right. Regardless of it all, LONG LIVE DERPY HOOVES!

Posted Image

• Brohoof 1

Derpy in the background please! Without the derped eyes and clumsy demeanor, what makes her so different from every other pony? Background is where she belongs (with, maybe, a few speaking roles here or there).

Personally, I prefer Derpy Hooves over Ditzy Doo. They are both fine names but Derpy is, overall, a better name (not to mention the fact that it's also much cuter). She'll always be Derpy Hooves to me, no matter what they do with her in the show.

Also, DERPY IS MOST ADORABLE PONY!!!!!

• Brohoof 1

I agree to Ditzy staying in the background. If I am not mistaken, her eyes were an animation error, and it was the brony community who let her stay that way and showed us that Hasbro does truly listen to their fan base, which also gives the fans a sense of pride. However, while I do not see the name "Derpy" as offensive, I can see how people would see it as such. I personally refer to her as Ditzy Doo because it sounds much more adorable than Derpy Hooves.

(edited)

Sitting in the front seat, sitting in the back seat......(god I got that song in my head now ><) Ok being serious, I prefer Derpy to Ditzy, but I don't want Derpy to stay as a "find waldo" character forever. I'd like for her to at least be elevated to background pony status.

Edited by Pegasus25

I would rather her remain in the background, though I think Hasbro as a whole would love it if they could call her Derpy and give her tons of speaking roles. They know they can't, though. The fact that they'll release a Derpy toy for Comicon 2012 that is emblazoned with muffins on the box and has her derped eyes shows that they know the character is popular among the unintended audience, but they know they can't have it be a part of the main audience.

Her name, to me, is Ditzy "Derpy Hooves" Doo. Make her what she originally was, a background pony that shows up in weird situations. That's what she does best.

• Brohoof 1