Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

MLP Forums Pony Dev Jam [Game Programming Competition] (Completed)

Splashee

Feel free to join the first MLP Forums Pony Dev Jam!

Spoiler

Quick Summery:

Theme: Glitched Pony Game.
Deadline: 19th of September 2022 12:00 AM.
Programming Language: Any (and no source is required to be released).

Are you are programmer who wants to participate in a friendly competition? You can join this competition at any moment as long as the competition is still active. The rules are fairly relaxed. The programming language can be anything! Same goes for tools! The assets, the libraries, the style, the resulting project can be of any format that qualifies as a "built functional running application". No source code is required to be shared. Any assets (art, sound, etc) can be used as long as you have permission to use and share said assets. Progress can be posted at any time, and updated regularly to show progress and keep the interest up.

The MLP Forums Pony Dev Jam finishes at 12 AM 19th of September 2022. All released projects will be collected, and a winner will be decided by some form of voting, either by everyone that participated, or by the public forum. Don't expect a prize, rather a pat on the back and a thumbs up by the MLP Forums programmers.

The theme of this jam is: Glitched Pony Game.

"Glitched" refers to bugged, having bugs, or being made glitchy by purpose (such as breaking the 4th wall, breaking dimensions, or adding random jump scares). A pony game can be any game that features ponies, either as art, or by name. If you are a skilled programmer that never makes any bugs, you can easily make the glitches part of the game design. For most of us, programming under time pressure will simply create bugs by accident, or by just being lazy. Either way, the game should end up glitched. The game doesn't have to be complete/complete-able, but you can make it look like it can be.
Did you submit a Triple-A title by mistake? Your top-tier pony game you have worked for the last 10 years? Think about the friendly competition rules. You can compete with the very best, but we simply want to just have fun with this one.

Simple rules to follow:

• Submit your entry in a reply to this post, with download link, screen shots if you want, instructions how to play, what programming language you used. Keep that reply your only reply for your entry. You can reply with feedback and additional comments, but your entry will be linked to in this post.
  • Be a respected member of this forum, have a few dozen of posts before joining this competition. Respect this, you can be banned from the forum if you join just to post viruses or advertising!
  • Any uploads of *.EXE (executable files) must be guaranteed non-harmful. No virus! No malware!
  • Any assets (art, music, sound) must be your own, or used under permission. Be careful not to use anyone else's art without permission.
  • Any programming languages (C++, C, C#, Java, Basic, Pascal, Rust, Perl, JavaScript, .... and the list goes on). Compiled code, or interpreted code, open source or closed source, game making tools and services, Unity (counts as C#), anything goes as long as you specify what you used and how to run your project (how to play the final result). Too complicated to run? Make it simpler, find a way.
  • Update your progress as time goes on, to keep the interest for others to join the competition! The more updates, the more fun. Bump the thread if you have made an update to your entry post. Editing the original post will not bump the thread.
  • Finish your project before the forum's time zone date passes 16th of September (midnight). The thread will be locked while the projects are being tested, so no updates of any external links during that time.
  • Be prepared to get feedback from anyone (participants or spectators). No harsh critique though (such posts will be removed, no need to respond to them). We are all here to learn and have fun.
  • Have you already released this game in the past? That isn't really a good entry for this competition. A coding/game jam should at least try to make something that hasn't been seen before. We do allow anything, but try to make it something no one has seen before.
  • We accept slight misinterpretation of the theme, such as "game" can be a collection of games, and "glitched" can be visual effects of glitches and not real bugs.

There are risks involved in running executable code. All entries will be tested for viruses, and run in a virtual machine, still, there are no guarantees your computer or device won't get damaged. Don't run anything before it has been tested (the entries linked to in this post have been tested at least once)! Any question regarding this, PM me.

Here are the active participants, their entries (in order of latest updated):

4 participants:

Go to the results of the competition:

• Brohoof 3

I will definitely be following this topic! Although sadly I will not be able to participate as I have been increasingly busy recently. I'm moving two states away to start at a new University and it's been kinda crazy lol. 

• Brohoof 1

This is my unfinished game:

[removed]

It is unfinished, so please do not open it.

By the way, this is an SB3 file. I will tell how to open SB3 files, but since I want my game to be a surprise, I will only tell this after it is finished.

Continuation...

• Brohoof 3

My entry:

Programmed in C++ and compiled as WebAssembly (run through HTML5 2d canvas and JavaScript), I present to you the Microhoof Equality XP (eXperience Pack). You run it directly in a web browser window by following the link (refresh the page if needed):

http://logotypes.se/jam/entry

[
Progress:

The system boots up to the desktop, where the mouse cursor can be moved around. Touch screen is supported and emulates a mouse.
The desktop has the XP bliss background but it is more grey to celebrate the theme of equality and happiness!

You are greeted with a friendly "welcome", and you can browse and play cool games from the Start menu!

Enjoy Pac-Pone:
PacPone.gif

]

The idea for the project is simple: Starlight Glimmer wants to promote "Equality" by giving out free ~quality games. Since Windows XP wasn't annoying with balloon tips pop-ups and product activation, you are assured to get the best performance and the latest games, with our Mane 6 seeking the truth about Equality, and friendship and stuff ^_^

My challenge is to keep C++ code from not crashing (I have no access to the C++ standard library, need to do everything myself, no math, no string, no nothing), using my own heap manager (memory manager) overloading operator new and delete, and working with all C++ features available even when not needed for this competition, to learn more about the language.

Feel free to leave feedback or ask questions. I will keep updating this project all the time until the competition deadline so try it every now and then.

Continuation…

• Brohoof 3

Ooh I've started working on my project!

The game uses HTML, CSS and Javascript and is run on its own website 

Pinkie Party Pinkie

https://github.com/Rainbowshine295/Pinkie-Party-Pinkie

You help Pinkie decorate a part of Ponyville for a party. You move Pinkie around with arrow keys and press designated keys to put up party decorations. Of course there'll be a jumpscare somewhere....

I haven't hosted this yet, I'll add a few more decorations and then host it. 

Continuation…

• Brohoof 2

2 hours ago, Rainbowshine295 said:

I haven't hosted this yet

I tested it in Firefox with local file access, and I managed to place decorations with the F key, R key and T keys. At some point, Pinkie got placed as well but I can't figure out how :huh:

Also tested in Chrome with local file access, and Pinkie gets placed if you move diagonally (both arrow keys done at the same time)... Is that a bug? Or an intended glitch?

Good job so far! :eager:

14 hours ago, Splashee said:

I tested it in Firefox with local file access, and I managed to place decorations with the F key, R key and T keys. At some point, Pinkie got placed as well but I can't figure out how :huh:

Also tested in Chrome with local file access, and Pinkie gets placed if you move diagonally (both arrow keys done at the same time)... Is that a bug? Or an intended glitch?

Good job so far!

It's a bug, but I don't want to fix it. Lazy me:Thorax:

Also, the keys stand for the ship balloons. F is for Flutterdash, R is for Rarijack, T is for Twipie, and S is for well, Spike.

Edited by Rainbowshine295

• This topic was featured and unfeatured
  • The topic was featured

My next move for my entry is to find out how to use the mouse cursor. Everyone knows playing games with the mouse cursor is the best evar :yeahno: But then we have all the touch screen users, and touch screens never work like mouse pointers. This is truly a challenge. I think this might be an area where glitches will appear just because I won't be able to find all the answers in time, and still I have no game in my entry!

• Brohoof 1

42 minutes ago, Splashee said:

My next move for my entry is to find out how to use the mouse cursor. Everyone knows playing games with the mouse cursor is the best evar :yeahno: But then we have all the touch screen users, and touch screens never work like mouse pointers. This is truly a challenge. I think this might be an area where glitches will appear just because I won't be able to find all the answers in time, and still I have no game in my entry!

Then good luck! I also have big issues that I have to fix. But I'm pretty sure that we both will succeed!

• Brohoof 1

10 hours ago, Rainbowshine295 said:

Your third participant is preparing for her exams, so yeah her progress is slowed down till next week.

Good luck with your exams :kindness:

There are plenty of time left to complete your entry :)

• Brohoof 1

On 2022-08-26 at 6:09 PM, Rainbowshine295 said:

More decorations and menus this time. Also I changed the controls, but they're all listed in a modal.

My favorite word "modal" :awwthanks:

I noticed you can select the "sprites" with the mouse cursor and move them around. Is that something usable?

14 minutes ago, Splashee said:

I noticed you can select the "sprites" with the mouse cursor and move them around. Is that something usable?

Yes, and you can increase or decrease their size too.

Also I just noticed that I didn't actually put in the controls modal, for so long I thought I did it :Thorax:

Need to fix that!

• Brohoof 1

2 hours ago, Rainbowshine295 said:

Yes, and you can increase or decrease their size too.

Also I just noticed that I didn't actually put in the controls modal, for so long I thought I did it :Thorax:

Need to fix that!

I wasn't able to resize them. I get the mouse cursor for a split second but after that, nothing happens. I'm on Firefox web browser.

7 hours ago, Rainbowshine295 said:

Try chrome maybe?

It worked in both Chrome and Firefox. Just a little difficult to find the hit detection for the resize operation.
The active "Pinkie" can sometimes be moved and resized as well, but she might not be the active player at that point.

• Brohoof 1

I have finally updated mine to include a window manager. Supports clipping, child windows, and annoying popups (all written in 2 days :wacko:). All windows' running.... multitasking? (JavaScript don't support multithreading, so this is more of a crazy simulation:

Screenshot of window manager in action:
own1.png.34d5860f426480adbc010d0ee8925c1c.png

Continuation...

Added button support. Keeping track of client coordinates (non-title bar and border area of a window) for drawing and hit testing compared to screen coordinates took quite a lot of time (that's what the red line in each movable window is hinting at). Also, canvas 2d's text measurement is kinda tricky, and it is needed to center the text in the button.

If the button is pressed, it blue screens. A button can be cancelled by moving the cursor outside of the pressed button and released, just as expected:

One2.png.be998e1f226f09a16cfd60ec309f47fd.png

Continuation...

I never thought I would implement hot-tracking, but when it comes to Windows, and especially the Windows XP theme manager, it kinda was needed for that little extra. That means buttons, like the close button that is now implemented and working, will "light up" when the mouse cursor is hovering over it. If you have a touch screen, you will have to swipe the cursor starting from the "desktop" and move over a button to see the effect. Hard to see, then zoom the browser view since that is possible with swiping two fingers outside the "screen".
Since this windows manager can't have children windows with children, there is currently no way of placing a close button inside a child window (I am lazy, no need for grandparenting for this parody).

Lastly, buttons now create new windows, so feel free to add and destroy windows until you either lag your browser too much (because of too many draw calls), or you crash my heap manager:

One3.png.908f9f20c4c83c463a77c6789c0699f8.png

Continuation: