Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Suggestions and Criticisms of the forums

Props Valroa

4 minutes ago, Jerlc said:

but what's wrong with that. The trolls aren't just going to be posting floods of emojis or deal with topics in a similar way to other areas of the site. Mane thing disallowed on most of forum: the sort of political discussions that clog up facebook and Twitter. Mane things I'd want to do in the troll pit: discuss those things in the same silly way (except with ponies). Ofc there may be other things people fancy putting in the troll pit and as long as they conform to overall site rules (no bullying and that sort of thing) then that's ok too (although if you just want to talk cute pony, you might as well do it in the other forum).

The troll pit is for every troll.

• Brohoof 2

I fail to see any reason or justification for the staff to create a "troll pit". If one wants something like that, there are other places for it on the internet. I applaud the staff for keeping the Debate Pit moderated and under control. It is that control and moderation that has kept it from devolving into something like Twitter or Facebook. 

I'm not for a "troll pit" but rather free discussion, a lot of people say the things they do on "Facebook or Twitter" bc they are places people are supposed to be free to speak their mind, in a lot of cases it's evolving, not devolving, to be able to contribute true and constructive context that everyone wants censored bc the truth makes them uncomfortable... Not everything that seems controversial is "trolling" trolling is just used to make it seem more harmless or soften the blow, but some people literally can't tolerate other people having opinions they don't like or that make them feel insecure 

2 minutes ago, Props ValRoa said:

I fail to see any reason or justification for the staff to create a "troll pit". If one wants something like that, there are other places for it on the internet. I applaud the staff for keeping the Debate Pit moderated and under control. It is that control and moderation that has kept it from devolving into something like Twitter or Facebook. 

• Brohoof 1

Moments ago, Props ValRoa said:

@J.J

It's not what you say. It's how you say it. That's the problem here. 

Depends on "where the context" is being posted, here I totally agree, but on people's personal blogs or media pages, I think if it asks someone "what's on your mind" I mean obviously you don't tell your psychologist things that he'd call an ambulance on you and get you 51-50ed over, but most the time people don't post "what's on their mind" they post "think about what other people would largely like to read"...

@J.J

In the context of the Debate Pit, from my point of view, "sassiness" or "troll-ishness" isn't worth the engagement. In the Debate Pit, I am there for serious and formal discussions that do not involve that kind of behavior. People should be able to effectively form opinions and articulate them without the need to insult, defame, or troll the other user. 

2 hours ago, Props ValRoa said:

If one wants something like that, there are other places for it on the internet.

this was the argument in my previous forum: "If you want to use words like 'damn' and refer to wider fandom themes like r34 you are free to talk about them on pony-Twitter" - true ofc, but this is my chosen community - there's no 'oh I can go elsewhere to talk about that' what if I only want to have the option to talk about this stuff with you guys? :( 

3 hours ago, Props ValRoa said:

In the context of the Debate Pit, from my point of view, "sassiness" or "troll-ishness" isn't worth the engagement.

I mean... then don't engage. In the DP the tired repetition of POV I was over-familiar with also made me not want to engage (as opposed to some great OPs which, even though I strongly disagreed, made me think a lil) but I never thought that those people should be barred from having their say (and then their say*2 and then they say*3 and then their say squared and then their say to the power of 10) 

• Brohoof 2

Thats why we need the troll pit. And do we even need a debate pit on this forum? Everything in this forum can technically be a debate pit... Heck im pretty sure someones debating outside the debate pit. 

Heck i debated by myself in the toilet.

13 minutes ago, Kujamih said:

Thats why we need the troll pit. And do we even need a debate pit on this forum? Everything in this forum can technically be a debate pit... Heck im pretty sure someones debating outside the debate pit. 

Heck i debated by myself in the toilet.

The grey area between "discussion" and "debate", is why Starlight Glimmer deserves her own forum section, the haters would try their hardest but the evident reality of the fan reception would just make them seethe.

I always think to myself "troll them", but I actually think they really have this fan trauma associated with her and a displeasure with the creative direction of the show following S.5 so I try to give them perspective they are incapable of forming themselves, we all know about the back story, it happened it is what you make it, yeah Starlight had to be the victim of creative plot device, we get it, but you're blatantly ignoring everything that's great about her and that's terrible about your own favorite characters, it's what makes it a witch hunt more than objective criticisms because these other characters inconsistencies are entirely overlooked, and Starlight's redeeming qualities and triumphs discredited the same...

• Brohoof 1

11 minutes ago, J.J said:

The grey area between "discussion" and "debate", is why Starlight Glimmer deserves her own forum section, the haters would try their hardest but the evident reality of the fan reception would just make them seethe.

I always think to myself "troll them", but I actually think they really have this fan trauma associated with her and a displeasure with the creative direction of the show following S.5 so I try to give them perspective they are incapable of forming themselves, we all know about the back story, it happened it is what you make it, yeah Starlight had to be the victim of creative plot device, we get it, but you're blatantly ignoring everything that's great about her and that's terrible about your own favorite characters, it's what makes it a witch hunt more than objective criticisms because these other characters inconsistencies are entirely overlooked, and Starlight's redeeming qualities and triumphs discredited the same...

Thats one reason i hate the fandom. Starlight for life! 

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, Kujamih said:

Thats one reason i hate the fandom. Starlight for life! 

I have a "love hate" relationship with the fandom, the main reason I hate it is bronies that act like they own the fandom or speak for bronies at large, and some of these bronies are a group of clowns that hate Starlight, and live in some alternate reality where 90% of people don't love her, and they just pretend that because if how vocal that circle of cynical virgin neckbeards are, the hatred is more prevalent than it is... It's like dude, everyone loves her, but yeah I don't like "exclusive bronies", they think there is like a standard in this fandom like you can't exhibit individualist traits in this community or the authenticity of your fan hood should be tested lol, it's like bro, I'm passively obsessed with ponies, sometimes it seems to me that you are really grand standing xD

4 hours ago, J.J said:

It's like dude, everyone loves her

Now, not gatekeeping enough is what gave our lovely fandom a bad reputation on the long run. There's a good reason the best people stay away from the surface fandom.

I do like Glimglam, though, but I had to point out the white elephant in the room.

Edited by The Wife of Karma

4 hours ago, Jesse Terrence said:

Now, not gatekeeping enough is what gave our lovely fandom a bad reputation on the long run. There's a good reason the best people stay away from the surface fandom.

I do like Glimglam, though, but I had to point out the white elephant in the room.

Oh you're absolutely correct, I think NMM and Luna are absolute crap and this fandom gushes over them... Lol

Edited by The Wife of Karma

1 minute ago, Jesse Terrence said:

I see... no wonder you don't find the "right" people. Is not people the problem.

I find "people" i dont think there is a such thing between right and wrong, pretty people only have so many ways to test how shallow others are lol

This topic is about criticism of MLPF. Stay focused on that. This isn’t a conversational area. 

Debate Pit is for controversial topics to be discussed in a cordial civil manner. Any references outside of debate pit will be moderated. 

Debate Pit rules are perfectly fine. If they are not to your liking, don’t engage in there. There is no shortage of places on the internet where you can speak more freely and with a caustic approach. That isn’t the tone we want here. Full stop. I don’t care if that ruffles some feathers. Debate Pit will continue to be a heavily moderated affair. We are Coke. We reject the requests to make us taste like Pepsi. You want Pepsi, you are free to get it elsewhere. 

• Brohoof 1

3 minutes ago, Jeric said:

This topic is about criticism of MLPF. Stay focused on that. This isn’t a conversational area. 

Debate Pit is for controversial topics to be discussed in a cordial civil manner. Any references outside of debate pit will be moderated. 

Debate Pit rules are perfectly fine. If they are not to your liking, don’t engage in there. There is no shortage of places on the internet where you can speak more freely and with a caustic approach. That isn’t the tone we want here. Full stop. I don’t care if that ruffles some feathers. Debate Pit will continue to be a heavily moderated affair. We are Coke. We reject the requests to make us taste like Pepsi. You want Pepsi, you are free to get it elsewhere. 

im glad i got banned keeping up with that echo chamber made me cringe at myself a little to hard

• Brohoof 3

ah well, might have to drop the debate sassiness then, but that would just be the resumption of the norm before the DP anyway.

still think a Troll Pit would be fun and that I need a good needling sometimes and so do a few others :Pbut if it doesn't fit with the forum in general and people do not enjoy it it in the DP then I can draw a line under this. It will be a rainbow line :3

large.png 

Spoiler

@Kujamihtroll army, withdraw!

2283151.jpg

19 hours ago, J.J said:

I have a "love hate" relationship with the fandom, the main reason I hate it is bronies that act like they own the fandom or speak for bronies at large, and some of these bronies are a group of clowns that hate Starlight, and live in some alternate reality where 90% of people don't love her, and they just pretend that because if how vocal that circle of cynical virgin neckbeards are, the hatred is more prevalent than it is... It's like dude, everyone loves her, but yeah I don't like "exclusive bronies", they think there is like a standard in this fandom like you can't exhibit individualist traits in this community or the authenticity of your fan hood should be tested lol, it's like bro, I'm passively obsessed with ponies, sometimes it seems to me that you are really grand standing xD

I hate it when they call themselves a fan.... And didnt even finish the show. I dont care about anyones opinion, i can accept you are a fan even if you hated half the show, but if you didnt watch the whole show.... Now that is questionable.

• Brohoof 1

7 minutes ago, Kujamih said:

I hate it when they call themselves a fan.... And didnt even finish the show. I dont care about anyones opinion, i can accept you are a fan even if you hated half the show, but if you didnt watch the whole show.... Now that is questionable.

I really tend to feel the same way...

And I just can't say anything because it alienates me from literally half the people in the fandom sadly...

I want to give them the chance to finish it, but I literally think some people just think ponies are cute, are able to draw them and are using the fandom to further their social career for notability, I mean, it you can draw ponies great, this fandom can use you, but exaggerating your love for ponies while questioning others authenticity is wrong and you should face scrutiny yourself for doing this 

14 hours ago, Jeric said:

But we can criticize it right? And we think the rules on the debate pit is too silly. Whats wrong about saying that?

• Brohoof 1

22 hours ago, Kujamih said:

Also the debate pit is in the forums and the fandom is in the forums..... We criticize them and we stayed on topic....

Not what Feedback is for.  Complaints about the fandom goes in Sugarcube corner. Feedback is for actionable discussions on MLPF as it as it pertains to forum function / rules / policy. 

And no offense to the OP, but this topic is far too general to be a decent repository for feedback. We don’t need a thread for that, we have this entire area. 

• Brohoof 2

• The topic was locked