Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What is the most testing job you have ever had?

Reecejackox

Working an active stocking job with plantar fasciitis and bad arthritis. This was so "testing" to me that I got in a really low place there before the pandemic happened and gave me an out from the job and the pain.

The shift was also awful - it was 4am to 1pm. Night shift is also terrible, but 4am is not much better.

I worked fast food once (Taco Bell) and it sucked. I’m convinced that fast food is one of the most grueling jobs around. I also had a physically demanding job as a cave guide for a while but at least it was interesting. My present job (Disneyland) can be the hardest job you can imagine at times, but it’s also the best, so I can’t exactly complain about it.

Moments ago, Dreambiscuit said:

I worked fast food once (Taco Bell) and it sucked. I’m convinced that fast food is one of the most grueling jobs around. I also had a physically demanding job as a cave guide for a while but at least it was interesting. My present job (Disneyland) can be the hardest job you can imagine at times, but it’s also the best, so I can’t exactly complain about it.

They should call it Dreamland. :D

22 minutes ago, TheRockARooster said:

They should call it Dreamland. :D

Incidentally, there was a Disneyland rip-off in Japan called Nara Dreamland (back before they built Tokyo Disneyland) and it looked pretty fun actually.

There's some useless info for your delectation! 

Edited by Dreambiscuit

1 minute ago, Dreambiscuit said:

Incidentally, there was a Disneyland rip-off in Japan called Nara Dreamland (back before they built Tokyo Disneyland) and it looked pretty fun actually.

There's some useless info for your delectation! 

I saw the Defunctland video on Nara Dreamland, Dreamy. :proud:

Your info is not useless at all.

It would be working as a Deli Clark at Spout.  Low in staff and I was literally working like I’m just a one man army there. Dealing with restocks, making sandwiches, cutting the meats and cheese for customers, ects. Youngsters who came here to work didn’t even last a week there. Can’t believe I got paid for only $10 for this job.

Working as an apprentice electrician. Mostly because I was treated like crap.

Runner up is spending an afternoon as a leaflet distributor on a busy street beneath a blazing sun. It was one of those one off jobs given to me by an agency I was working for many years ago. You are literally being paid to be deliberately blanked by people while also earning the contemptuous gazes as they walk past you when you politely offer them the leaflets your trying to distribute. Nothing in their face. Just me simply smiling and holding out a leaflet at a respectable distance. A smile and a simple shake of the head wouldn't have killed them. I'm never doing that job again.

The worst one I had was physically demanding, as it had me lifting up to 100 lbs. of boxes, and it was in a distribution center. There was no AC, and I was working it in the summer, so it was around 100 degrees Fahrenheit. I had to go up and down a ton of stairs and walk several miles total each day for three 12-hour days straight in addition to an extra day for overtime. Since it was in a warehouse, it killed my allergies, and I had severe nosebleeds to the point where my boss had to put me in the breakroom because the nosebleed was making me really dizzy.

My last three jobs tested me each in different ways. 

• My grocery bagging job forced me to interact with the public all day and my introverted asocial ass can handle only so much of that. 
  • My transfer to third shift just to get away from the endless overtime as a material handler tested me not only through a lack of training in fork lift driving, not only through ruining my sleep schedule, but wondering around a sparsely staffed factory at night, crewed by the walking dead, just absolutely miserable looking people, it messes with you. That and half my night was collecting garbages cause 2nd shift are lazy hacks.
  • My last tempt job was at a Target warehouse. I was fine with it until the bumped me from product sorter all the way to the loading docks, where in 30 days we were expected to learn how to pack up to three trailers at once, by yourself, during peak holiday rush. 10 hour shifts in the back of a dim, cold, increasingly confining trailer. I would have nightmares about being sealed up in one of those and getting sent to Peoria. First time I had to just take 5 minutes for myself and not break down crying and screaming at the wheel of my car. They'd end up terminating my contract on Christmas Eve. 
  • While my current job, it's more a specific task I had to do. My 2nd day on the job, they stuck my on a press that makes file carrying containers. Pressing stickers and lids to fresh out of the oven plastic without gloves over and over at a rapid fire pace for 8 hours. My hands never hurt so much. First time I ever snapped at a senior employee, I was under so much stress, If I had that job the next day, I would've kept job hunting. But thankfully they put me elsewhere and I stuck around.

• 1 year later...