Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Will MYM be as good as FiM?

CastletonSnob

I doubt it. I think that FIM was kind of in the right place at the right time. Plus, it seems like quite a lot of people are disappointed in the way the Make your Mark special was handled and I think that will affect people's perception of the whole series. Though it's not that I wouldn't be excited if Make your Mark exploded in popularity.

• Brohoof 2

Considered as good as FiM by the fandom...I don't see it happening. I have seen G5 dooming and G4 loyalism be met with mockery and dismissal, but no matter how good MYM is, it's just not going to live up to some people's expectations with the impact FiM left on them. As popular as FiM, definitely not. I've long accepted the fact that MLP mania is not coming back and I'm simply grateful I got to experience the height of it. 

If it ends up being better than FiM to me at least though, I'm honestly going to find that pretty cool. mTzMRGZ.png.d04a95cb336e047d6c415f06e186

• Brohoof 4

MyM needs something really cool to get my attention. It might take a while. It took FiM a while to get me interested as well. There is potential.

MyM can be good as, or even better than FiM. But that won't bring it popularity. That Internet thing that happened 10 years ago was a one time thing.

• Brohoof 3

I hope Make Your Mark is as good as Friendship is Magic because I really enjoy Gen 5's group and I feel like I'm in a minority in this fandom. 

Edited by Sparklefan1234

I certainly hope its going to be as good as G4 if not better, but we will see. So far, we just got the movie and the special, the movie was good while the special was decent at best (the animation is problematic). I am sure that the TYT and MYM will have different characterizations (to some degree), so I think that will play in favor of the main series.

As far as comparisons go, its hard to compare the G4 and G5 because the premiere of FIM was a 40 minute 2 parter and not a full movie, if we count the special as the first episode than G4 has a slightly better start, but in my opinion the first season was not particularly strong so I can see MYM having a better first season.

• Brohoof 1

I figure the odds are low that G-5 will be better than G-4 in terms of its objective quality.

I've seen a lot of posters comment on how the popularity of G-5 will likely be lower than G-4, even if it does get objectively better than G-4.  I'm not sure I agree with that; if the storytelling, acting, pacing, and characterization get to be even better than G-4, I think word will get around.

Of course, the odds of beating G-4 in those areas is low, and if I'm being honest, it's not happened yet.  Don't get me wrong; TYT has had some really good episodes on par with G-4's quality, but the most outstanding parts of G-5, the CGI specials and movie, haven't been up to G-4's standards:  ANG's ending was rushed and kicked the audience's expectations around too much for its own good to the point where the ending didn't really make enough sense, the video game was rushed and unpolished, and the MYM pilot jumped around from Zipp to Sunny a little too much.

• Brohoof 2

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know, but I doubt it a lot, because G5 is the shadow of the G4. Why do I say this? From the beginning, the writers sell us this generation as the sequel of FiM, like they are too afraid to take a chance and try to do a brand new Pony concept, not linked with the sale success that still being MLP: FiM even after the end of the show.

• Brohoof 1

After watching 9 episodes of MyM, I can safely say that it is not going to match up to FiM.

The locations for a start. The show is entirely confined to just a few locations, and is quite stuck there. Compare that to FiM that let the ponies go wherever in Equestria, and actually did so.

Oh, one episode was on the beach, so there were some sand. But that was the only new location.

• Brohoof 1

There is potential for that to happen, but I see it as unlikely. This isn't because G5 is goinng to be worse than FiM, but G4 was just SUCH a lightning in a bottle moment that it's gonna be hard to replicate that. Friendship is Magic was just so appealing to such a large dynamic group of people wheres G5 seems a tad more narrow in its approach.

We shall see~

• Brohoof 3

22 hours ago, Ashen Pathfinder said:

There is potential for that to happen, but I see it as unlikely. This isn't because G5 is goinng to be worse than FiM, but G4 was just SUCH a lightning in a bottle moment that it's gonna be hard to replicate that. Friendship is Magic was just so appealing to such a large dynamic group of people wheres G5 seems a tad more narrow in its approach.

We shall see~

And we must add that G5 is more childish than G4. FiM was special because it could attract both kids and adults, so this simple factor can radically change the fanbase orientation to a younger audience.

• Brohoof 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 2022-10-03 at 10:14 PM, Orchid_Fiore said:

And we must add that G5 is more childish than G4. FiM was special because it could attract both kids and adults, so this simple factor can radically change the fanbase orientation to a younger audience.

I remember that fans said the first season of FiM was also a tad more childish than the rest of the series. Might we hope to see a similar situation here where future chapters/seasons will widen their approach?