Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Ashen Pathfinder

Title: Puphunt
Release Date: September 1, 2022
Written By: Gretchen Mallorie
Synopsis: Cloudpuff if missing and it's up to Zipp and her friends to find him!

• Brohoof 4

This one was good though I didn't really like what they did at the very end. I'm not going to say what happened as I think others are likely to say something about it. I like how everyone was working together in order to find the puppy and some of the sight gags that occurred during the search were pretty funny. My personal favourite during this sequence was Alphabittle and his sleeping habit which Izzy responded to accordingly with her reaction.

• Brohoof 3

Another really great episode as usual! It was so awesome seeing everypony work together to find Cloudpuff and Zipp really let her detective skills show in this episode too.

Alphabittle and Fifi was really funny too!

Spoiler

And yeah… fart joke at the end too… I thought that was a lame joke but it didn’t ruin the episode at all,

• Brohoof 3

This one had me thinking about the third issue of the G5 comic, where Zipp has to babysit Cloudpuff while investigating. It's certainly not bad, even with that joke at the end you just know every fan is going to love, but no way was it going to be able to compare to the episode before it. Actually, not the episode before it because the thumbnail indicates that it's aired out of order. Anyways, even though they've done gross humor far better in the past, at least the boulder gag got a laugh out of me. 

• Brohoof 3

I love how Zipp is becoming more and more of a detective! Another great episode as usual!:D

Spoiler

Also fart jokes really don't bother or effect me much at all to be honest :p 

• Brohoof 3

A good, enjoyable episode overall. Again, Zipp is the star and Pipp playing wonderful #2! No complaints from me...even if the fart joke was a tad...bleh.  XD

• Brohoof 4

Another decent episode by the standards of this particular series.  It helps that it's yet another case of Zipp clearly being the best character.  I still prefer Rainbow Dash, but she's the closest thing this series has to a decent character, so I'm thankful for her.  

• Brohoof 2

Decent episode, with several cute moments. Wiggly package is a cute description. There was nothing that really grabbed me though. As others said, the last joke was pretty weak. Also, it was weird that comic issue #3 told essentially the same story (Cloudpuff goes missing, Zipp has to find him), but the details were different. 

6 hours ago, The Nth Doctor said:

Wonder why this is episode 26

Also yeesh, the postal service has a lot to answer for, what with not checking the package to make sure it wasn't an animal - they're gonna get sued into oblivion by animal activist groups

That is strange to me too. Perhaps they decided to air 25 closer to MYM's release because it's a more significant episode? And yeah, this postal service is giving Derpy a run for her money. I was wondering if that maybe was a tangential reference. XD

Edited by Starset Twinkle
  • Brohoof 2

A while back before gen 5 had come along someone started a thread asking what things we didn't want to see in generation 5. I never got round to posting it but I was going to mention that what I really didn't want was fart humour.

Despite that, this was a decent fast-paced episode. Not up there with some of the best episodes but pretty good nonetheless. I like the bit where the table broke, that was a nice bit of slapstick that this series does a lot of and does well :kirin: But please...no more fart humour.

• Brohoof 3

While I don't really have a lot to say about this episode, I can say that this was a decent outing for Zipp and helped showcase that turning her into a detective was a pretty good move on the move and the part of the writers and this direction they are taking with her character is one I rather like.  Which given how she was relatively underutilized in the movie, it's nice to know that in both series she has a lot more to work with.

Edited by cmarston1
  • Brohoof 3

I liked the loving emotions, the boulder gag, and how Hitch got nervous when he realized Cloudpuff was in the package he returned.

I found the fart joke funny in a relatable way since dogs really do have terrible farts.

I am still weirded out by how thick Cloudpuff's legs are in 2D compared to how they are in 3D, especially when most ponies' hooves are thinner in 2D than they are in 3D.

Edited by Rosy Moonlight
  • Brohoof 3

...did they seriously f***ing do what they did at the end of that episode?

Episode was already middle of the road, but that brought it down to just bad.

Again, always good gifs and character sightings, (Windy!) but I wasn't a gigantic fan of this one.

Edited by Toastypk
  • Brohoof 2

On 2022-09-01 at 11:22 AM, Sparklefan1234 said:

I *really* like the way Zipp is becoming more of a detective whenever the ponies have a mystery that needs solving. :D

I think that's the highlight of the episode, now that you mention it!

The episode's pros:  having a sense of danger and adventure helped me get into its plot more, and the way the characters responded to it allowed us to see aspects of the characters that we often don't see:  Izzy is more techy than she lets on, with the ability to cobble together or at least use a dog-detector, and Zipp has a drone to help her scan for signs of stuff.  These skills are going to be pretty important in a more adventure-oriented series, which it looks like MYM is going to be.  Sometimes all it takes is a few seconds of footage to give us context about characters, and they gave us that in this episode.  Who knows?  It might've been deliberate setup, kind of like how Rameses-turning-Moses'-hair-around was showing the audience it was a wig set up a scene later where Moses discarded the wig in Prince of Egypt (you had to have heard the DVD commentary to know about this, though).

The episodes cons:  using gross-out humor, like ponies slipping in a puddle of drool and trying to make us laugh because the dog is farting---this seems like a new low for the series' humor.  I'll admit they've had "messy" jokes before:  Sunny's alicorn magic messing up, flipping her smoothie cart, and her getting a faceful of smoothie for the punch line.  Hitch being splattered in the face with fruit as a running gag in one episode.  Izzy doing the backstroke in a dumpster while doing a musical number about trash.  But this is the first time bodily functions have been drawn into it, and I honestly think it's a bit too lowbrow for the MLP franchise.

Overall, I feel like this was a fair-to-middling episode, but a few tweaks could've brought it from "Fair" to "Good", maybe even "Great".

• Brohoof 3

13 hours ago, HereComesTom said:

this seems like a new low for the series' humor

I honestly think it's a bit too lowbrow for the MLP franchise.

Do recall that G4 "hit this new low" first though with Echo farting in Pony Life (a season after Rainbow Dash reading the cat's "fart gallery" joke out loud), and Friendship is Magic had gross-out humor too with Spike reeking of the odor of trash, smelling his dirty feet, Pinkie Pie needing to badly urinate, a pirate scratching his butt in the movie, and Rainbow eating her infamously revolting pie. 

• Brohoof 2

On 2022-09-01 at 4:00 PM, The Nth Doctor said:

Wonder why this is episode 26

Also yeesh, the postal service has a lot to answer for, what with not checking the package to make sure it wasn't an animal - they're gonna get sued into oblivion by animal activist groups

Didn't even notice the missing episode 25. :ButtercupLaugh:

• Brohoof 2

• 2 weeks later...

I feel like this episode was rather terrible. I liked the inclusion of Queen Haven, but it just felt like there wasn't any real purpose to the episode. The mail pony should have checked the mail though, and the fart joke at the end? Not sure what to think of that.