Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Forum Upgrade Scheduled

Jeric

Friday 9/2/22 around 11:00 PM EST I’ll begin the process to move MLPF to the newest IPB version. The site will be down during this time. Full transparency, while some of the current issue may be fixed with the new update, it may not be the silver bullet.

As always these updates will likely wreak havoc with your personal settings like notifications and such. Make sure to take note of your settings and be ready to revert back to them after the site is back online. 

• Brohoof 8

3 hours ago, Jeric said:

Friday 9/2/22 around 11:00 PM EST I’ll begin the process to move MLPF to the newest IPB version. The site will be down during this time. Full transparency, while some of the current issue may be fixed with the new update, it may not be the silver bullet.

As always these updates will likely wreak havoc with your personal settings like notifications and such. Make sure to take note of your settings and be ready to revert back to them after the site is back online. 

What settings you mean, Jeric?

Their latest improvements didn't really shine. I wonder if they changed things back or if it will be worse? Hopefully they got some feedback from all the communities using them (including us).

• Brohoof 3

4 hours ago, Rikifive said:

Finally, I'm bored of these bugs, I want new ones. e-cadancexd.png.6a5a719229eb8e2b046b53eff3ef3f64.png e-lunalmao.png.b81de1771cb6457553cc91237ce9fb49.png e-twiwth.png.5878ad773cfe0efaf9dc8dc75763160a.png

spiek approves e-spikekk.png.2d48fb8ce4df65fe6c8c4ae420d9f0e8.png

*Hopes for "My Disney Forum" intensify* :mlp_smug:

Seriously, I'm just hoping things work out better than the last update. :worry:

Edited by Sparklefan1234
  • Brohoof 2

It is good to see that the staff are starting to put a foot forward to care for this place. If only I could do the same in a greater capacity - perhaps one day. I love this place, and am frustrated by the lack of action sometimes. But it's time to put our best foot forward. Together.

8 hours ago, WinterS said:

It is good to see that the staff are starting to put a foot forward to care for this place. If only I could do the same in a greater capacity - perhaps one day. I love this place, and am frustrated by the lack of action sometimes. But it's time to put our best foot forward. Together.

I think its more on "Invision Forums Inc"...

• Brohoof 1

2 hours ago, Northern Star said:

I think its more on "Invision Forums Inc"...

Invision Power Services, Inc. to be precise, is the current name of the forum software provider. And they're calling the software 'Invision Community', though that's not the name it had when MLP Forums started using it. I really dislike IPS, on a personal level, as they seem to have a vision for what a 'modern forum' is, that appears to be completely non-functional to me. Each new version they strip more functionality off the core product, with the expectation that third-party developers will make plug-ins to replace what was lost. And then those plug-ins don't have to be supported by IPS themselves.

To be honest, if we had the developer team now that we used to have when I had joined staff the first time, we probably wouldn't be on this software package. We would have moved to something completely different by now. But pretty much all those developers left for various reasons; to work on other Poniverse projects, life happened to them, etc. We tried spinning up a separate Pony RP site at one point, using a different software with the intent of migrating MLP Forums to that package once it was 'proven', but that project fell through because we just couldn't get dedicated developers to get the special features we wanted working right. Heck, I remember talking to one of the 'original' MLP Forums dev team members at a BABSCon (I don't know if he was original-original, but he predated *me* as a staffer, anyway), and he told me they had intended to build an entirely custom forum at one point before he had left Poniverse but *that* project had gotten shelved because other Poniverse projects had taken priority. 

Currently, I know that there are one or two MLP Forums staffers that are proper developers in their day jobs, but they don't have the bandwidth to act as 'MLP Forums Developers' as well in their so-called free time. Keeping the lights on making sure the servers are still running is about as much as can be expected from the time they can devote to the forums. If anyone here has the skill, and the time, to do forums development, then volunteer. Forum Devs don't just magically appear from the aether when needed, and then vanish again when stuff is fixed. I believe the quote is 'Be the Future you want to see!' or something like that.

• Brohoof 2

• This topic was locked and unpinned